• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

oil

This guy doesn't seem to have any idea how viscosity is measured, or what the numbers on the top of the container actually mean (why the W in 10W-30). He never mentions viscosity index and contradicts himself when he says most engine wear occurs at startup (when the engine temp is the same as surrounding conditions) but ambient conditions should be ingnored.

Liquid cooled engines tend to maintain a more uniform running temperature after warmup but the oil has to flow from the time the engine temp is the same as outside conditions (startup) to the time the thermostat opens.

:lurk sounds like we have a few people that need to start a new oil thread that's correct , authoritative,i.e., footnoted & then we'll have a worthy target to start in again?:lurk

"credible citations and references?"

C'mon, man, this is the internet!

Yes, and you'll note if you want the full SAE article I linked to, you have to pay for it.

Mostly on the Internet for sure we get what we pay for.

And, you could note that the article linked provides DATA that today's motor oils become better lubricators the longer they remain in use. Radical, right?

Nothing to see here - move along...

I'm posting so I can say I participated in an oil thread in 2012.

I feel so - so, dirty....

pigpen.jpg

And I feel so - so helpless.

I was unable to control my mouse which moved inexorably to click on this thread in spite of my attempts to abort. Stop it! I don't read oil threads!! Well, OK. Just this one time.

peteisNOTthe oil guy

Oil is good. Some oil is better than no oil. New oil is better than old oil. Good oil is better than bad oil.

It goes to "time out" in a steel mesh encased 300 gallon tank at the recycling center where it hangs out with all of its miscreant friends.
Whew, I was worried you meant for us to spank it when it's bad. I unintentionally spanked some bad oil that was hiding out in the drain pan. It spit all over me and everything in the garage. I was just wondering how to control it in the future - and if there was a penalty for it spitting..... :scratch

We should have a contest to see how many words can be substituted for the word 'oil' in Paul's monograph above:

Xxx is good. Some xxx is better than no xxx. New xxx is better than old xxx. Good xxx is better than bad xxx.

I'd go first, but at the moment all my examples would get me banned from the forum... and I changed the last bit to: Bad xxx is better than good xxx.

Back