• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

oil

I was really hoping for another oil thread,you know,one where a couple of people bash a couple of other people's opinions and credentials and stuff...sigh.....

:fight

I was really hoping for another oil thread,you know,one where a couple of people bash a couple of other people's opinions and credentials and stuff...sigh.....

Stick around. It's awful early in this thread - first someone has to start complaining about not talking about oil - which is incorrect because I talked about bad oil spitting at me.

Then it's going to become a shot at us having a bit of fun with yet another oil thread instead of helping out the OP.

Then maybe - just maybe - if we stick around long enough, someone will get the arguements started.

In the meantime - we can keep it friendly and everyone's happy.

Now, how about a nice group hug....

bighug_t.gif

:fight

Your opinion is silly and you have no education, training or experiences that give you the right to say such a thing.... and, your stuff is weak.

We should have a contest to see how many words can be substituted for the word 'oil' in Paul's monograph above:

Xxx is good. Some xxx is better than no xxx. New xxx is better than old xxx. Good xxx is better than bad xxx.

I'd go first, but at the moment all my examples would get me banned from the forum... and I changed the last bit to: Bad xxx is better than good xxx.

the worst XXX I ever had still did the job :whistle

<sigh> Another great group hug - wasted.....:dunno

We do have a problem here. The knowledgeable Mr. Glaves from TX seems to be at odds with the folks at SAE referenced by Ikchris. Surely, Mr Glaves thinks he's getting better.....why not his oil???

I'm hoping for some help from Mrs. Glaves on this. Paul is getting better? Right?

Yes, and you'll note if you want the full SAE article I linked to, you have to pay for it.

Mostly on the Internet for sure we get what we pay for.

And, you could note that the article linked provides DATA that today's motor oils become better lubricators the longer they remain in use. Radical, right?

Kent,

Not to resurrect ghosts from the past, but I'm pretty sure that I recall Rob Lentini writing about maintenance procedures for the F15 or F14 which included draining the oil, changing the oil filter, filtering the oil and reusing it.

This is a completely anecdotal comment attributed to a former technical contributor that has passed away. While it nearly meets the most rigorous standards of internet information, (no neighbor of the brother-in-law with a degree from MIT and formerly employed by the CIA), it should be enough to prompt someone within the forum of similar tech background to the deceased to chime in.

However, with that being said, I would much sooner hear how Aikens and henzilla will meld the group hug and xxx threads into one.

Not to resurrect ghosts from the past, but I'm pretty sure that I recall Rob Lentini writing about maintenance procedures for the F15 or F14 which included draining the oil, changing the oil filter, filtering the oil and reusing it.
Many that have been around for a while know that Rob and I were very close and were riding/wrenching partners on the 11RS. We discussed oil - among other things - a lot. We both ran Mobil 1 for 15,000 miles in 2000. Every 5,000 miles - religously - I changed oil and filter [BMW filter]. Rob replaced only the filter and topped his oil back up - also at 5,000 miles. At the end of 15,000 miles, we both sent samples of our oils to Blackstone Labs for analysis. The results were very close to the same. Becasue we really weren't thinking when we started, we failed to get starting reports for a comparison.

However, with that being said, I would much sooner hear how Aikens and henzilla will meld the group hug and xxx threads into one.

asuwish.gif

I'm working on it....

I'm hoping for some help from Mrs. Glaves on this. Paul is getting better? Right?

She, unlike all of us, is out riding to collect her TWO MILLION MILE award and not worrying about footnotes or oil. :thumb

XXX Indeed. :lurk

Your opinion is silly and you have no education, training or experiences that give you the right to say such a thing.... and, your stuff is weak.

Well I did think I know a little bit about oil since I have been changing it pretty regularly,by myself or sometimes paying others,for over 40 years;but now I see that AKBeemer has completely unmasked me and I am but a tyro.Not a pyro.I swan in the face of superior stuff.:hug

Huggies are the new better way to all get along!

After which it becomes fuel oil and is burnt...

Oil Hell

;)

Larry

I got interested in the true answer to your "oil hell" answer. Actually it's complicated & no it doesn't all go to be burned. There is the law, then there is the reality that it gets various "treatments" while much still goes into our rivers, landfills & various other actually unknown places around the planet-sadly much used oil in the USA goes into the environment.Rant:Too frequently changing your oil (I'll call it " Anal Oil Changes")adds to this burden. After googling-"where does recycled motor oil go?"I read an interesting article in Scientific American about used oil. There seems to be a lot of room for entreprenuers with used oil , if you can collect it efficiently & get to the processors too. It's stated that there are now processes that far surpass those of the past & make it as good as any virgin crude for processing into "new" lube oil.
Some oil is cleaned & reused in place as one Navy vet said they had cleaners that spun the oil for cleaning in his ship's engine room.
Perhaps oil threads can be interesting ?:lurk

Well I did think I know a little bit about oil since I have been changing it pretty regularly,by myself or sometimes paying others,for over 40 years;but now I see that AKBeemer has completely unmasked me and I am but a tyro.Not a pyro.I swan in the face of superior stuff.:hug
Don't be silly. None of us know squadoodle about oil.

If we did, we couldn't be posting all these questions about it.....:laugh

FWIW, a brand new Merc. Benz comes with recycled oil in the engine. How many miles is it until the first oil change? Something like 600 miles, if I remember correctly.
MB claims it does not hurt the car and they are helping the earth too. I would like to know how much money they save per year by doing this.

Got this info off of the History Channel.

FWIW, a brand new Merc. Benz comes with recycled oil in the engine. How many miles is it until the first oil change? Something like 600 miles, if I remember correctly.

You don't remember correctly both times.

The first oil change is 10K miles just like all the others.

It's a brand new Fuchs synthetic.

There is the law, then there is the reality that it gets various "treatments" while much still goes into our rivers, landfills & various other actually unknown places around the planet-sadly much used oil in the USA goes into the environment.Perhaps oil

Side story on improperly disposed oil...

Had a apartment complex no light call one evening...fuse blown feeding below grade transformer ( this set up was basically a 4' wide concrete cylinder 4' deep with a transformer about the size of a 35gallon drum sitting in the middle) The transformer vault covered with a wire mesh grate able to withstand light traffic.

Anyways...removed cover and smelled burnt oil...thinking it was the mineral oil from the transformer...after removing the sheet metal shield below the grate, discovered the vault COMPLETELY full of used motor oil:scratch All the cables were swollen from the oil and the oily sludge had shorted out the low voltage exposed connections.
We called out our environmental clean up crew...they pumped almost 5-55 gal drums of goop out of that hole as it had entered all the conduits running into it as well.Stinky rainwater sludge...lovely smell and a mess to work around of course

A little old lady walked up and told us a fellow living in unit 2B was running an oil change service and he always parked in that spot...for years! ...!@#$%** had used our vault as his oil sump. We had no direct evidence even though one of the bigger guys almost beat his door down:whistle to talk to him and he just shrugged his shoulders. All we could do on that hot summer night was to tell the rest of the tenants who's fault is was...kharma we hoped.

Back to the real oil thread:snore

I had a KS neighbor & farmer that still ran a steel tired tractor(in 1960's/70's) for his plowing & his recycle method for oil was to let it sit in various containers for a few years, then go back & reuse it after the dregs were at the bottom. He also reused anti-freeze this way too. I suppose when you are running a machine that is still operating well after many years of hard use it makes it OK?:dunno

Back