• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Electrical Post Confusion

razz2234

A friend has a 1995 R100RT that he's rebuilding and has come to the conclusion that he doesn't know what these two electrical plugs go to or what they're for... I looked at mine, a 1994 R100RT, and it doesn't have these. Any suggestions on what/where they go to would be helpful.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 171
The one towards the rear looks like a 110 volt starter like you would find on a snowblower! I would pull the top cover off and investigate.

Connections for the fuel shutoff solenoids that reside under the starter cover. They were part of the emissions package on the newer Airheads. It appears from the photo that the plugs from the harness have been removed.

Connections for the fuel shutoff solenoids that reside under the starter cover. They were part of the emissions package on the newer Airheads. It appears from the photo that the plugs from the harness have been removed.
Bingo. When BMW added the fuel and vapor control solenoids, they inserted the harness to power the solenoids between existing connectors of an existing harness. It has been common for folks to remove the "add-on" harness as part of removing the fuel vapor control system, and simply plug the original connectors back into one another -- no trace the add-on solenoid harness was ever there.

Thanks Bill,for posting this up for me,and thanks for the thoughts of the responders.It is my 95 airhead.I have removed the plumbing,but don't get how to remove the wiring evidenced by those 2 plugs.Will it be obvious with the starter cover removed?

Thanks Bill,for posting this up for me,and thanks for the thoughts of the responders.It is my 95 airhead.I have removed the plumbing,but don't get how to remove the wiring evidenced by those 2 plugs.Will it be obvious with the starter cover removed?
There is no additional wiring -- the plugs are on the solenoids, which can be unbolted and removed from the inside of the starter cover.

Back