• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

taking delivery of an F 700 GS

packitout

Hi all,

New guy here. My name is Marty and I will be picking up my F 700 GS on Saturday morning. I plan to spend most of the day on the road getting to know my new bike. Most of my riding will be commuter and short (100 mile) trips. Next year I plan on taking her to some fire roads and gravel roads. What accessories should I look at first? I'm thinking tall windshield or topcase. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Congrats on your new bike. Just make a list of things you would like to get. Panniers, windscreen, rock protectors for radiator, headlights, etc. The list goes on and on.

Unless money is no object I'd ride it for at least 500-1,000 miles and find out what strikes you the most as needing an upgrade or improvement. It may be the windshield, it may be the saddle, or it may be something you haven't thought of at this point.

Good luck with the new ride! :thumb

Thanks everyone,

All good ideas. I'll probably take a bit from each.

I've been to Twisted Throttle and AS Cycle. Are there any other must see BMW GS centric websites for aftermarket equipment/gear?

Twisted Throttle is a nice ride from your area. This weekend there is some sort of helmet event going on as I recall. If you dare ;) you could show up at the YB Breakfast and show the bike off. My F8 is pretty well loaded up. Gary

Hi Gary,

I would definetly be interested in meeting some like minded people. Are you meeting at Willowbrook this weekend?

Marty

Hi Gary,

I would definetly be interested in meeting some like minded people. Are you meeting at Willowbrook this weekend?

Marty
Not this weekend Marty, I may have confuse you be "imbedding" the link to the YB site- here it is on the front page- http://www.yankeebeemers.org/ But if you decide to go, it's right close to you- just down from the Imperial group. Chance are I'll be going on the 21st (Oct) and if you check/remind me I can save you a spot at the cool table :whistle
Gary

We picked our new 700s up, rode them home and immediately decided to order the larger factory windscreen. We did order other accessories, but the windshield was a must for us.

We picked our new 700s up, rode them home and immediately decided to order the larger factory windscreen. We did order other accessories, but the windshield was a must for us.

How tall are you? What's your inseam? I understand that the F700GS has the same seat height as the factory lowered suspension version of the 2013 F800GS which I have on order. The windshield is one of my biggest concerns (after skid plate, engine protection bars, hand guards and probably upgraded lighting).

Do you (or anyone) know if you order the larger windshield when you order the bike, does it come to you installed? Or is it like my Tiger 800 (just sold) which came with the standard screen and the larger one is a box for the user to install. I kinda like the idea of having both. But it might be more expensive to order the screen afterwards through the parts dept than as a factory option.

Enjoy the bike!

My experience is that it usually comes in a box, thru the parts dept. and service removes the stock windshield and installs the new one prior to delivery. At least that's always been the way it's happened to me and they've always given me the old one.

+1 dancogan

The people who designed the bike put a lot of thought into the windscreen. Why not at least try it for 1000 or more before deciding that you don't like it. I hastily bought a V-Stream that turns my F800ST into a sail craft and blows me all over the Interstate. Only to discover that the stock windshield works just fine and also helps hold me up.

I would ride it the way it was designed until you are SURE what you don't like and need to add.

Rick

How tall are you? What's your inseam? I understand that the F700GS has the same seat height as the factory lowered suspension version of the 2013 F800GS which I have on order. The windshield is one of my biggest concerns (after skid plate, engine protection bars, hand guards and probably upgraded lighting).

Do you (or anyone) know if you order the larger windshield when you order the bike, does it come to you installed? Or is it like my Tiger 800 (just sold) which came with the standard screen and the larger one is a box for the user to install. I kinda like the idea of having both. But it might be more expensive to order the screen afterwards through the parts dept than as a factory option.

Enjoy the bike!
I am 5' 8" and after sitting on the new F800 and 700, I think you are right about the seat heights. After putting a few miles, on the 700, I am really looking forward to a little more wind blocking.

Windscreen 2013 F700

Whomever was smart enough to post here that the existing larger windscreen wouldn't fit the 2013 F700GS was correct. Everything else fit, but we are waiting for a mounting kit from the Fatherland to make the new windscreens fit.

After I rode my 2010 F650GS a bit, the most obvious upgrade for me were bar risers. They eliminated all shoulder pain. They also changed the way the wind hit me, so I bought an Aero-flow tall offroad screen, which I'm not super happy with, but it's an improvement over the helmet noise I got from the stock windshield combined with my bar risers. I am now considering getting the OEM screen that is taller.

Thanks Blubeast

I don't have shoulder pain but my left wrist goes numb after about 20 minutes of riding. Where's a good place to look for handlebar risers?

Thanks, Marty

Thanks Blubeast

I don't have shoulder pain but my left wrist goes numb after about 20 minutes of riding. Where's a good place to look for handlebar risers?

Thanks, Marty
I have the Rox Risers which give you the rise and the forward to back- I like 'em.

133434726749099.jpg

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showdetails.cgi?parts_id=10037

Here's the link for the Verholen riser's I have:

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_info.php/verholen-f650gs2-bar-riser-kit-alpha-listings-4901-901437-p-1803?osCsid=lpkr4ht6hiavjbse2kimdu0il7

I had wrist issues before I added the risers, as my wrists were bearing a lot of weight while I was riding leaning forward so much. That has subsided. I also use the "Go Cruise Throttle Control" rather than Crampbuster, for long stretches. My wrist is not involved at all.

Here are some pictures of the risers installed on my bike. There is an extender for the brake line, so a couple are closeups of that. It has never, ever caused a problem or been over extended when turning the handlebars. Great design. I would advise having a professional install them. The BMW tech, who is very good, said that it was more complicated than it looks.

Risers+front+.jpg

Brake+extender.jpg

Extender+closeup.jpg

Thanks Blubeast

Thanks, Marty

One option that one might wish to consider is a lower octane "map" for the engine management system.

Apparently, the map is already factory installed, and merely needs to be selected by the dealer's computer (apparently not doable with GS-911s). My dealer indicated that if done with the purchase of a new bike, it would be free; after purchase, it would be a half hour of shop time (minimum charge). :deal

This would allow the 700 (and any other Beemer that accommodates it) to run on (North American) regular gasoline, that is 91 RON instead of the required 95 RON.

Certainly, it might make sense to get your bike re-mapped prior to a trip to Mexico or some other destinations where Super (Premium) is less available. ;)

JP

Back