• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

what is the best GPS

I just bought that 660 and it was a tough choice but cheaper won out, start a little at a time, i'm used to 125.00 nuvi

GPS question

I thought it was, but I sold a 550 for $450 to help pay for it when it came out. I think my out of pocket expense was only $200 or so. Don't forget it's about 3 years old now.

On the other hand, I had to wait a long time before Garmin fixed the damn software so it actually worked reasonably well. It does now, but it used to shut off on me all the time.

I'm considering buying a ZUMO 450 which has been discontinued. You mentioned that you have a Garmin that used to shut off all the time. I've read that about the ZUMO 450 in reviews. Does a software upgrade fix that problem?
Thanks for any advice.

The best GPS is the one you can see on the bike, some are great in the showroom cannot be scene in daylight.

The best GPS is the one you can see on the bike, some are great in the showroom cannot be scene in daylight.

That is why the old Garmin 276c/376c/478 family is the best IMHO. I can see it clearly even with a dark shield, Especially the 478 which is a little brighter that the 276c.

It is dangerous enough to look at it while moving, but to have to stare at it and struggle to see it is as bad or worse than texting while driving.

Hey Bob,
I used to use a Nuvi 750, which was NOT motorcycle specific... I bought the Gilsson (or was it Gillson) hardwire kit for it and ran it directly to the battery... That worked for awhile and then that stopped working. The electronic module that's on the hardwire kit basically tricks the GPS unit into thinking it's plugged into a charger and NOT your computer, which means the GPS is functional. Hardwiring directly will result in the GPS unit thinking it's plugged into the computer and bringing up the screen for updates. Follow me?

I now use the Nuvi 550 with a Garmin cigarette adapter that is plugged into a cig plug I have wired directly to my battery. This has worked well for the last couple of years...

The weak point on the Nuvi units is the mini USB port.. NOT weather proof and the plug sometimes loses the power connection... I just put my finger on and plug at the back of the GPS and push it and it is restored.

I believe that the power connection on the Zumo models is much better, but again, I don't want to spend 700 clams on a GPS unit.

Hope this helps.

Tom.

Tom,

How are you powering your Nuvi? I have an old 700 series I'd like to mount to the bike but have been told there might be a voltage issue. (The auto cigarette plug wiring steps it down in voltage?)

I picked up an accessory plug adaptor for the bike, and while it works, every time I hit a bigger bump power interupts and it runs through the whole set up again. I'd like to hardwire the unit and would appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Back