• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spouse with bike

Louise is learning. We have a Yamaha 400 for her to start on. She says she would like a 650 Shadow once she feels confident enough. I am sure that once the time comes, she will make a better choice :german

As noted, she may want a "comfortable" bike. That's BMW.

Louise is learning. We have a Yamaha 400 for her to start on. She says she would like a 650 Shadow once she feels confident enough. I am sure that once the time comes, she will make a better choice :german

My wife likes the feel of a cruiser. The 650 Shadow is a great choice, and of course with Honda reliability. If she likes cruisers, that's perfect.

I tried to get my wife to go with the shadow, but it was too big for her. She cruises around on her 250cc Virago which is all she needs.

She had a hip replaced, hasn't ridden since then, and may not again (due to fear of hip injury). So there is a very nice, clean, low miles Virago here if anyone is looking!

My wife and I are heading out Sunday on our first major riding vacation. We are going to Texas to visit her brother.

She will be on her 650 Ninja and I on my 1150RT.

She prefers the look of a sport bike but the 800ST has her interest. Hopefully I can convert her after this trip.:german

My wife likes the feel of a cruiser. The 650 Shadow is a great choice, and of course with Honda reliability. If she likes cruisers, that's perfect.

I tried to get my wife to go with the shadow, but it was too big for her. She cruises around on her 250cc Virago which is all she needs.

She had a hip replaced, hasn't ridden since then, and may not again (due to fear of hip injury). So there is a very nice, clean, low miles Virago here if anyone is looking!

As all people are built a bit different, honestly I told my wife I would be happy to buy her any quality bike she likes and finds to be comfortable. Though I would prefer a BMW, if she isn't happy.........

Guys, Be glad your woman rides. Don't impose your will on her. If she wants to ride a Sportser, let her. You don't realize how lucky you are.

You don't realize how lucky you are.

Very true. Almost 5 years ago Annie quite unexpectedly told me she was done being a pillion and wanted her own bike. Those were the greatest and most expensive words she's uttered since she said "I do". We ended up retiring early, moving from Alaska and restructuring our lives around riding motorcycles. She has taken to riding like a duck to water. The expensive part??? Three new BMWs in as many years, but she's worth it and I stole one from her. :dance

BexBmr rides a '77 R80. We've taken a few longer trips together.
She rides well, and enjoys it. Only on the back of mine for dinner stops.

I do feel lucky that my wife rides. Her friends are in shock that she will go on a 200. Mile ride on our bikes in one day. Her next bike will be something more comfortable thats built for long rides (more than 200 miles) The question is what bike will fit her well. She is 5'5" with a end seam of 29" . She wants the heated seat and grips, radio cruise control etc. I thought about a r1150rt low seat low low frame but we will see maybe next year.

The question is what bike will fit her well. She is 5'5" with a end seam of 29" . She wants the heated seat and grips, radio cruise control etc. I thought about a r1150rt low seat low low frame but we will see maybe next year.

At the Bavarian Mountain Weekend last week, there was a lady from Amarillo who is 4'11" (I asked her) who rides a G650GS just fine. Anybody can ride I think and I think there's a BMW for anybody. (FWIW the word is "inseam.")

I do feel lucky that my wife rides. Her friends are in shock that she will go on a 200. Mile ride on our bikes in one day. Her next bike will be something more comfortable thats built for long rides (more than 200 miles) The question is what bike will fit her well. She is 5'5" with a end seam of 29" . She wants the heated seat and grips, radio cruise control etc. I thought about a r1150rt low seat low low frame but we will see maybe next year.

Paul,
Don't let having a stereo be a sticking point on the type of bike she gets. Here is the story...... when I bought my LT, I had my first bike with tunes. It was great. The radio crapped out some time later. When it did, I instantly ordered a Jensen, and 4 new Polk Audio 60w marine grade speakers. I put it all on the bike, and it was an enormous improvement over stock. After some time passed, I bought a new helmet, and the headset to match. My headset has 6 fm presets, and bluetooth connectivity to my phone, and ipod. I have used the Jensen twice since. Both times have been while washing the LT.......
IMHO, get her a bike she loves. Tunes are easy to add to any bike!

Der verge the stereo is not the most important it's comfort. She's been looking more than I have ha ha. Anyway we are in the early stage of searching. It's fun looking

Der verge the stereo is not the most important it's comfort. She's been looking more than I have ha ha. Anyway we are in the early stage of searching. It's fun looking
I'm glad a radio is not a major factor. It was more of a minor one for me, that now has become a non-factor.
Hunting for a new bike is much like a long trip on one. Not to say you do not end up happy with the bike, but the journey to it can be great.

My wife grew up in a motorcycle family with her Dad having a few BMWs and purchased a new 1972 R75/5 in Germany in 1972 and shipped it back to Indiana. Her first bike, a BMW of course, was back in 1994, a R65LS, currently has a 2001 F650GS and a 2013 F700GS on order. I really prefer to ride with just her as we both have ridden together so much, we just know what one another is going to do and I know her "hand signals" too. The best part is, she is an excellent rider, virtually always ready to go for a ride and really likes the longer distance rides. Finally, I just love the looks a 58 year old, petite (and I think attractive - I better think that!) woman gets when she gets off her bike at a public place....you can just read what is going through people's minds!

My wife went back to college and finished her degree (9.89 GPA) so for her graduation gift I bought her any bike she wanted. She wanted a 883 Harley Sportster. Then after a few years we traded it in for the rubber mounted 1200 Sportster. We have over 100,000 miles riding side by side. Then all that came to an end last year when I bought the RT. Her Sportster has been relegated to ÔÇ£Conversation PieceÔÇØ in the garage. She has ridden it three times this year. Now the majority of her riding is behind me on the RT. She says she likes riding behind me more now because the RT is so much more comfortable than riding behind me on my HarleyÔÇÖs. Plus she can relax and see more take pictures and does not have to worry about the texting driver trying to run her off the road. Now you may think that I have it made but here is the rub. Knowing how to ride she is the consummate backseat driver. Now I am no rookie when it comes to riding. I bought my first bike 1969. I have taught the MSF class for years and I have raced bikes. However my racing habits are hard to brake. Speaking of brakes, late braking for turns and stops. Pretending to get a knee down in a turn. Riding the centerline to get the best line through a tight turn, and of course the speed carried thru the turns. Nag, Nag, Nag. However, if it came to her on the back nagging or her at home while I rode solo, nagging is not that bad, especially if you turn your headset off . I am a lucky guy!:dance

I must have done something right on our last 2 up ride.
My wife went out last month and got her endorsement.
I made sure it was because she wanted to and she assured me it was.
She rides a Rebel 250 that I was trying to sell since my daughter moved up to a Ducati 620 Monster.

We haven't ridden together yet but she low sided last week.
Put a dent in the tank and her leg.
It's all swollen and she is at the ortho doc even as I type this.

Hope for the best!

Hope all is well with your better side. Wish her the best. Remind her that motorcycles are just like bicycles: we are fully capable of falling off either one.

Guys, Be glad your woman rides. Don't impose your will on her. If she wants to ride a Sportser, let her. You don't realize how lucky you are.

Funny you say that...I bought an 07 1200RT, and the same day we bought my wife an 07 1200 Sportser, both from our local BMW shop's used showroom. She always wanted a Harley; I always wanted an RT...we're both happy LOL. And we all know, if Mamma's happy...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

We haven't ridden together yet but she low sided last week.
Put a dent in the tank and her leg.
It's all swollen and she is at the ortho doc even as I type this.

Hope for the best!

Hope all went well at the Doc...and she is OK!

Back