• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spouse with bike

I met my wife when she was teaching her 1st MSF class over 30 years ago. She's usually on her GS, occasionally on her /5 toaster.

My wife has two bikes, but only rides one presently. She's been a rider for over ten years now, won't even consider going back to being a passenger. :thumb

My wife rides/drives

an R1150R with an EZS sidecar attached.

You should see how much sh*t we bring to rallies!!! :scratch

Sold it

My wife sold her /6 when I bought the R1100RT. She prefers to snap pics and listen to her music or books and let me be the one to pay attention.

I started as a pillion and got tired of looking at the pack of his helmet.

Now I have two bikes. (he has one) :p

Voni rides her R1100RS, K75, F800S (and TW200 in the desert).
Just a bit over 1,000,000 BMW miles at the moment.

My wife rides; has a F650GS twin and a F650GS single. She's the only person I ever ride with. Makes camping more fun.

Helen actually is the reason I switched to BMW's:thumb

She was riding an 1100R when we met. She has a '95,'02 and '07 Roadster...a K12S that she rides like the wind(tornado) , and a F650 Thumper to hound me in the dirt. She'd steal my GSA if it were lower. All her bikes get ridden, but her 1150R is her favorite still... her first 100K was mostly on that bike.

She is near 200K...not anywhere near Voni...but rides all the time...sometimes more than I get too...like today:violin yeah, I know
She only rides on the back when we are out on the road travelling and we are headed to dinner...her bike under the cover waiting. She doesn't do pillion well...ooops ,did I say that?:dance

Dave and I each have our own bikes and travel together on them. Our sona dn daughter each have one as well, but haven't managed any trips so far.

Diann has 2 BMW's ( 1977 R60/7 & 2011 F650GS).

I have a 76 R90/6. a 75 Norton Commando and a 1930 James...........Rod.

P.S. yes we often ride together.

I think I'd be too chicken to ride pillion, so would suggest the wife be in control of her destiny, too.

SOMETIMES (not "stereotyping," that is) women prefer luxury and comfort. Which is passengering vs being the operator?

I recall the instance we were setting up tents in some rain in Jackson, WY, on the way to Missoula '84 ... there was a young lady doing same not far from us that had arrived there on a little bitty chopper-look Kawalski. She was very unhappy, and had I filmed her she would admit upon seeing the film she was being bitchy.

I concluded then that "comfortable" motorcycling is important and recognized of course that most often that's BMW's motorcycling mission. For me, at least, the feel of a boxer twin is luxury for sure. So too for me is the ability for me to "own" all the luggage space on my bike. We sure don't share the same luggage on any other form of travel.

So, for all kinds of reasons (some possibly mentioned above) the wife/significant other on her own BMW is probably as good as it gets. Her having a BMW car, too, will only enhance the impression, I'd advise.

Oh, and a lot of why I motorcycle is curves. She does her own skiing, too.

Debbie started riding her own bike in 1988 when we decided to go to Alaska and she was not too crazy about sitting on the back on bad roads.
Her past bikes were a K75T, K75S, K1200RS and her current bike is a K1300S. She has ridden somewhere around 235,000 miles.

Louise is learning. We have a Yamaha 400 for her to start on. She says she would like a 650 Shadow once she feels confident enough. I am sure that once the time comes, she will make a better choice :german

I was living in Marathon, Florida Keys back in 1981 as a member of the US Coast Guard. 21 years old, shacked up with a 19 year old hottie (my wife now). We headed to a beach down the street on my almost brand new CB750F, me wearing only a bathing suit (no shoes even!) and her in a bikini. Well, as I turn into the beach road I hit a smalll patch of sand at no more than 10 miles an hour and lay down the bike.

So here we are, barely dressed and bleeding on half our bodies; the only way to get to the ER is to pick up the bike and ride. I'm sure we were quite the sight to motorist....two almost naked people bleeding all over ourselves riding a motorcycle. She ended up getting about 6 stiches in her knee and still has the scar.

And that was the last time she got on a motorcycle. I even ask her a couple of weeks ago if she wanted to ride up to get a bite about a mile down the road on my big, safe BMW and her response was, "no way, not with you".

So no, my wife doesn't ride!

Back