• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Keeping feet warm in cool/cold weather

flyrider

Morning Person
It's cooling down now. Rode to the mountains this morning. First time I felt my toes get cool.

What do you guys do to keep your feet warm when it's cold?

Owning a boxer twin helps a lot.

BMW used to offer battery-powered foot warmers to put in your boots. Haven't checked lately.

I don't feel the heat but my feet never get uncomfortable when riding my '87 K100RT in the cold weather. :thumb

For reasons too long to tell I once rode a K75 about 80 miles in 8 degree F weather. There were no cylinders for my feet to hide behind. I had on an extra pair of socks but they simply compressed and were worse than the air pockets they replaced. The feet got numb, but when I got to the dealership and my feet started to thaw the pain was intense.

So, for winter riding (in Kansas at the time) I bought a pair of Thinsulite lined hunting boots a full size larger than I normally wear. The Thinsulite is effective and the extra room allows layering socks without filling all the air pockets needed for effective insulation.

If it's real cold, there's nothing like Sorel Arctic boots. I have a buddy who rides year round in northern NH (snow and all) and it's his first choice.

Another reason I am looking forward to next year's Rally in Salem OR. I'll be able to visit the Danner Company Store (Portland) for a new pair of boots.

The Ft Lewis with 200 G Thinsulate and Gore-tex works for me. Plus has cool "Made in USA" Flag. :usa

Attachments

• danner.png
    danner.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 876
Owning a boxer twin helps a lot.

BMW used to offer battery-powered foot warmers to put in your boots. Haven't checked lately.

I've been using them for several years. Love them! I normally run them on position 2 of 4 and my feet feel neither hot or cold.

Gerbing's heated insoles inside of Danner Ft. Lewis 200g insulated boots with SmartWool socks. Ridden for hours in single-digit temperatures with no issues.

Vapor-Barrier Liners

It's very cheap to see if they work for you: Liner sock -> Plastic bag (newspaper type or mylar snack bag) -> Wool sock - Boot. More robust liners are available from camping sources, but don't pay unless it works for you.

Chemical heat warmers also work well, too, provided your boots aren't too ventilated.

I use a pair of Gore-Tex socks I purchased from REI. I use them while backpacking in cold wet temps so it only made sense to me to use them while riding.

I use a pair of Gore-Tex socks I purchased from REI. I use them while backpacking in cold wet temps so it only made sense to me to use them while riding.

Snow Mobile Suit and Snowmobile Boots. We wore them on Snowmobiles and Motorcycles In Minnesota in the winter with temps below 0 on occasion. I can never remember being cold on either. Oh don't forget the Snowmobile Gloves also. No kidding, this works well.

If temps are not below 30 you will be too warm unless at highway speeds. Some snowmobile speeds were 60-80 on the frozen lakes. God was that fun! Usually at night after dinner with a bottle of "Snowshoe" for rest stops. Snowshoe--half Peppermint Schnaups and half Christion Brothers Brandy.

Jack

The tiny d-rings on those boots are a pain to lace up,a real pain,they want to flop around while your trying to thread them through the D's. Next to impossible sitting in a tent(no chair) with lowlight etc. I've had mine quite a while but hardly wear them 'cause they're a PITA to lace up. Smartwool socks are great for cold weather.

+1 on chemical pack heaters. One pair will last long enough for most rides. I put them on my Christmas list every year and ussually get a full box, which lasts the year.

+1 on chemical pack heaters. One pair will last long enough for most rides. I put them on my Christmas list every year and ussually get a full box, which lasts the year.

What are these? Who makes them? How do you put them in boots and have room for feet?

Back