• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How about #$$HOLE RAGE?

Getting a license in the states is too easy and too cheap. If folks had to shell out a grand to get one maybe they'd value the privilege more. Of course then a politician would just want to subsidize it so it'd be fair for everyone. I hate dealing with ignorance on the road but unfortunately being on the smaller vehicle I let it go and hope a cop sees it. Bad drivers tend to be a poor judge of distance IMO.

As Paul said above, bad drivers tend to be bad judges of most things which leads to further bad judgement and a deteriorating life and pain. (imagine Yoda here)

Last edited:
In many places - say NYC, to use one example, it is common practice to pull up through any space possible, then wedge into even the tiniest opening. In other parts of the world, not only some but all of the people recognize no such thing as a line nor of order. ( Ever been to Rome, Italy, or Mexico City, or Saigon? )

Yet we here in the US expect that folks will extend the so called courtesies that we might extend ourselves, unto others. Sorry, it isn't always going to be so. If you REALLY don't want someone squeezing into any space in front of you then do not leave one.

OTOH, folks in general just don't give two hoots about anyone except themselves. As with cell phone talkers, make-up appliers, reading or otherwise distracted drivers, I simply expect what used to be the unexpected ( now the new norm ) and carry on.

Cheers!

I've done a little in Europe and Mexico.
In Europe, they do have to pay big bucks and go to school, so while I felt a little intimidated at first, I quickly discovered that most of them were actually much better drivers than what the western hemisphere tolerates.
But I did actually have to avoid a gal in her Mercedes, on the Stelvio, talking on her cell phone!

Dear LEO's

While we all appreciate your work, your help, and your willingness to put yourselves in danger on our behalf, I'm curious.

I've been commuting on the tollway recently and several miles are under construction with all the typicals; shifting lanes, narrowed lanes, edge traps, trucks entering and exiting, blindingly bright work lights at night, ultra-confused cagers etc.

Last night about 11:00 pm as i approached the "confusing" transition lane from I 88 (where there was a state trooper parked, hiding to catch speeders), to NB 294...I say confusing because it's only marked with four or five huge lighted signs a mile in advance, and gigantic painted signs on the pavement. Needless to say, most drivers are totally confused here daily. As I approached the NB ramp I slowed considerably because iknew there was an edge trap, and a construction speed limit, and there were three cars in front of me; two ahead of me in the left (NB) lane and one in the right (SB) lane. The guy in the right lane suddenly swerved Left and stopped in between the pylons near , but not actually in the left lane. The two other cars, rather than simply going past, chose to stop in the middle of the tollway. I ran onto the very small shoulder and rather abruptly stopped to avoid their antics. It was easy to anticipate that there'd be stupidity happening there. it happens there all the time with or w/o construction.

As i recovered and passed them, I continued NB and once i passed the construction zone, the traffic was very light, but a few miles later, there was another trooper hiding in the dark just behind one of the slight rises in the roadway, trying to catch speeders.

Here's my Q: Really? Really?

I really don't intend to be disrespectful, but if you read these posts or drive or ride you surely must see the truly weird, waaaaay unacceptably stupid and dangerous antics of drivers everywhere. Why is it that speeding is the only one that gets your attention? Is it because it's the only one you can prove in court? Or the easiest?

Wouldn't it be even easier to just go park by the trouble instead of waiting for it to chance by you?

We constantly see lots of people texting, eating while texting, drinking, texting and drinking, getting stuff off the passenger seat, dawdling in the L lane, forcing other texters to pass on the right, putting on their pantyhose while texting ...everything but driving..

aaaaaaahhh!!! nose bleed!

Here's my Q: Really? Really?

I really don't intend to be disrespectful, but if you read these posts or drive or ride you surely must see the truly weird, waaaaay unacceptably stupid and dangerous antics of drivers everywhere. Why is it that speeding is the only one that gets your attention? Is it because it's the only one you can prove in court? Or the easiest?

I've often wondered the same thing. I see blatant law breaking going on in front of any one of the various law enforcement agencies and nothing happens. Friday, on the way home from work, I see a county guy riding down the concrete median to the turn lane which the Highway Patrol routinely gives tickets for.

All the police vehicles I'm aware of have cameras so it should be to verify what happened.

Story from Germany some years back. A person was tailgating on the autobahn. The people in the car in front took the license number and reported it to the police. The police laid charges and it went to court. A passenger in the tailgating car had to testify and with both the plaintiffs' and the passenger's testimony the driver was found guilty and fined something in the range of 800 Euros. He probably had a mark placed against his license also. So, it can be done without direct police witnessing of the offense. I guess it just needs more than one witness to convict.

yeah, but...

I've seen police cars....at least the state troopers that are stealth. Some are even driving beige SUV's. It's still not that tuff even w/ a rack of lights on a black and white Crown Vic'. It's not like the bobos are actually checking their mirrors for anything but hairstyling.

PS don'cha love the guys who apparently carry a hairbrush in their car?

PPS you should see the view from up here on the soap box...gaaaaaaaahhh!! nose bleed.

A police officer in most cases, cannot write a summons for a moving violation he didn't personally observe.
In the US it's difficult for a citizen to bring a motor vehicle moving violation charge and see it successfully prosecuted in court. You not only need to testify to the the plate number, vehicle description, time of day, weather and road conditions, but also you must identify the driver in court, somewhat difficult if you only saw a fleeting profile as he went by you and court is now 6 weeks later and he's now clean shaven and well dressed, nothing like the dirtbag you saw that day. Defendant's attorney will try to confuse you and will play up the fact that you are not a professional, hence, maybe you mean well, but you are an unreliable, mistaken witness. All this plays into the doubt factor. They will also come up with an excuse to have the court appearance delayed at the last minute. Do you really want to take 2 or 3 vacation days off work or lose pay for the matter? Most towns do not have a night court.

As far as the police officer out for speeders and not stopping cars at the construction merge, from what was described, the area is already dangerously narrow and constricting, and not a safe place for officers or the public to make a stop there. IOW- he could make the situation worse. If he were to pull the vehicle over well past the construction, he'd be wasting a lot of time making a U-turn at the next exit, working his way back the other way, and working his way thru the construction again. It wouldn't be very productive from a time standpoint.

A police officer in most cases, cannot write a summons for a moving violation he didn't personally observe.
In the US it's difficult for a citizen to bring a motor vehicle moving violation charge and see it successfully prosecuted in court. You not only need to testify to the the plate number, vehicle description, time of day, weather and road conditions, but also you must identify the driver in court, somewhat difficult if you only saw a fleeting profile as he went by you and court is now 6 weeks later and he's now clean shaven and well dressed, nothing like the dirtbag you saw that day. Defendant's attorney will try to confuse you and will play up the fact that you are not a professional, hence, maybe you mean well, but you are an unreliable, mistaken witness. All this plays into the doubt factor. They will also come up with an excuse to have the court appearance delayed at the last minute. Do you really want to take 2 or 3 vacation days off work or lose pay for the matter? Most towns do not have a night court.

As far as the police officer out for speeders and not stopping cars at the construction merge, from what was described, the area is already dangerously narrow and constricting, and not a safe place for officers or the public to make a stop there. IOW- he could make the situation worse. If he were to pull the vehicle over well past the construction, he'd be wasting a lot of time making a U-turn at the next exit, working his way back the other way, and working his way thru the construction again. It wouldn't be very productive from a time standpoint.

Spot on!

Another scenario..the hidden trooper may very well be the 'chase car' for other troopers in plain clothes/cars/constructtion vehicle that are stationary in the work zone. Some departments will dress an officer in construction clothes and radio to the chase car to stop the idiots!

When it comes to vehicles that are being driven in a manner that has the hair standing up on your neck, I much prefer to have these vehicles in front of me than behind. Being behind permits you to have time and distance to choose your avoidance maneuver. I also find it much easier to observe things to my front than in my mirrors.

Remember, it's much less likely to be "rear ended" by a car in front of you than one that is behind.

Back