• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How about #$$HOLE RAGE?

xp8103

So, really just how big an #$$hole are you? You drive down the right side of the line of traffic going straight through the light on Water street because at 4:10 pm it's long and the turning lane (right) is short. And you arrive at the space I've left between me on my motorcycle and the Toyota ahead of me and decide that I've left that space just so you can pull in and you do. About 1/2 way. So you're stopped at an angle, half in the straight through lane, half in the right turn lane, occupying the space in front of me. I decide to not just let it pass and I roll up beside your rolled down window and say

"Excuse me, do you think I'm waiting for a bus here?"

"WHY ARE YOU.... YOU LEFT ALL THAT SPACE.... WHAT IS YOUR....." at which time your female passenger starts beeping the horn and screaming at the top of her skag-faced lungs.

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE CAR BEHIND ME DOESN'T STOP AND PUSHES......"

{more skag faced beeping and screaming, more useless profanity from you as you point to the children in the back of the car....}

{I repeat} "DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE CAR BEHIND ME DOESN'T STOP AND PUSHES ME INTO THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME?? I DIE!!!"

"JUST GO. GO!" with more profanity from your skag-faced lady friend. Your kids must be proud.

Sounds like that group is chronically stupid. like the sign says, you can't fix stupid and they won't let you beat it into a stupor.

Sadly, there is nothing to be done for that kind of brainless twaddle. Try to stay as far from them as you can and pray that when they do have a "life altering" wreck that they don't take anyone else with them.

Either that or move to BFE-FOL where there are fewer...oh, crap, there's more per capita of them here than where I left....:banghead At least I can see them coming from farther away.

"skag-faced lungs" :) that is just great!

You know, this story just proves that many people "dumb down" when they get in a car.
What is it going to take to change that? We will never get rid of all of it, but we should be able to decrease it to some extent. Maybe TV and magazine adds from the MSF. Something like they did a few years ago for drunk drivers.

Hey xp8103,

Do you think they were honking the horn and screaming at the top of their lungs because you scared them?

After all you are just like me and every other MOA member. We are biker trash and all we want to do is cause problems for everyone that does not ride. To them, we all lane split and take up their parking spots. We are lower than snake sh*t. Did you forget that all bikers are filth and scum?

It would be fun to have a seat at their dinner table and hear what they say about today.

There is a good chance that this is a standard driving practice for the people in the car. Your mentioning this to them catches them completely off guard and is seen by them as the first part of the problem. It's easier on everybody if you let it go and be careful. IMO most of the time, it's too late to retrain people to drive more courteous as they think they're doing just fine now.
:lurk

Brick - I don't think I could have scared them. They obviously saw me and I rolled slowly up to them. Of course, had I had loud pipes I'm sure they would have respected them and not done it but sadly, the stock exhaust on the WeeStrom isn't exactly ominous.....

Upon reflection, I think it could have been a teachable moment but then I'm married to a teacher and there is NO way I could ever do that..... My friends (teachers) say I'd be in jail after the first week! :)

Even though I probably would have done just what you did, you can't fix stupid, nor teach them the manners lessons their parents obviously bailed out on, certainly not in a 20 second lane-of-travel classroom.

You also have to keep in mind you have no idea of a person's mental or criminal history that you approach, it's possible that the driver was a meth head with a cheap handgun under the seat and suddenly sees your face in the window next to his girlfriend and imagines you're a vampire that needs to be removed from the earth. That's why police officers approach a vehicle in a more careful manner.

Just sayin'

I'm sorry, I didn't recognize you. I was in a hurry to get my skag faced passenger to her meth addiction-anger management class before the oxycodone wore off. But don't worry about the kids, we had them out on Prozac.

I hope the rest of your ride was less eventful.

I think I can honestly say crazy/mad/lunatic drivers are THE MAIN REASON I speed , to get away from these nut jobs NOW!.Use your only two real advantages you have over a cage ,straite away speed,and ability to change directions quickly.(like a u-turn now).I never have comuted to work and back by motorcycle that may have something to do with it. My bike is for pleasure,relaxation ,enjoyment only,so that's mostly what i'm doing.

Unfortunately this solution can lead to more problems. David Hough, in "Proficient Motorcycling" discusses speeding up as a solution to tailgaters, saying essentially that it might make a bad situation worse. Suppose they speed up, too...and then you speed up more...and they match you...and you arrive at a corner going too fast for it...you get the picture.

I was in the mountain canyons yesterday, and saw a big red pickup behind me, clearly wanting more speed down the road than I was delivering. So here I am...motorcycle in the mountains with a pickup behind. Classic scenario, right? Guy probably has a gun. So I continue until a turnout appears, and I pull into it to let him pass, which he does. I then pull back onto the road. A hundred yards further down the road, his hand comes out of the pickup...and he gives me....a wave of "thanks, rider!" I wave back. Felt good about that. Sure I could have sped up, but I'm not good enough to ride some of these corners at high speed...yet. And this result was more pleasing.

A little further down the road, I pull into the local farmer's market for some veg to go with the evening's steak (our Mr. a$$hole and skag-face have turned off). The market is in an area where road construction is going on and it's one lane. I buy and start to pull out, with someone in front of me trying to exit to the left. Only the traffic is running left to right, the direction I want to go and there is no room for me to pull up on her right side. I slowly approach her driver's side window and ask if it would be ok for me to pull around in front of her as that was the direction I needed to go?

She said sure, go right ahead....

That too made me feel better.

You also have to keep in mind you have no idea of a person's mental or criminal history that you approach, it's possible that the driver was a meth head with a cheap handgun under the seat and suddenly sees your face in the window next to his girlfriend and imagines you're a vampire that needs to be removed from the earth. That's why police officers approach a vehicle in a more careful manner.Just sayin'

Because of the above statement, when someone does something similar to me what you experienced, xp, I tend to keep my visor down and think less than kind words to describe the individual. I vent to myself but refuse to put myself in a situation that could turn out even worse, especially when travelling in your country where handguns are common.

I had similar fun yesterday.
On a freeway, the way home yesterday, I was in the middle lane. I was traveling at more than the posted speed as, on this particular freeway, if you don't, you may well get run over. Anyway, an older lady in a nice car left rub marks on the back of my LT from what little air would fit between her front bumper and my back end. I simply refused to alter my course in any way. Not only did she cuss me out, but so did the driver of a delivery van. Neither had a specific reason as to why I was the "jerk bag", but they made it clear that I was.
I just wish I had been in my truck. She has really good brakes........

I had similar fun yesterday.
On a freeway, the way home yesterday, I was in the middle lane. I was traveling at more than the posted speed as, on this particular freeway, if you don't, you may well get run over. Anyway, an older lady in a nice car left rub marks on the back of my LT from what little air would fit between her front bumper and my back end. I simply refused to alter my course in any way. Not only did she cuss me out, but so did the driver of a delivery van. Neither had a specific reason as to why I was the "jerk bag", but they made it clear that I was.
I just wish I had been in my truck. She has really good brakes........

So if middle lane is moving faster than you, move to the right one more lane perhaps?

as in on a 65 mph road, lane 1, to the left typically 75+. middle lane over 70, right lane typically just about 70. If that is the speed of traffic, why would you make yourself more vulnerable by becoming an obstacle?

NCS

All you people that think you're going to be their blocker to prove a point must not realize that a good percentage of the population shouldn't even be driving because of all the legal meds they are taking, not to mention illegal drugs and general mental states, mood, preoccupation, tension, etc.

You are thinking that they are as rational as you think you are. Trust me, they're not.

All you people that think you're going to be their blocker to prove a point must not realize that a good percentage of the population shouldn't even be driving because of all the legal meds they are taking, not to mention illegal drugs and general mental states, mood, preoccupation, tension, etc.

You are thinking that they are as rational as you think you are. Trust me, they're not.

Meds or no meds, booze or no booze, most drivers are so unskilled and unthinking as to be a constant hazard to you and to themselves and others. If law enforcement, using their dash cams for evidence, started ticketing tailgaters maybe folks would learn safe following distances.

Meds or no meds, booze or no booze, most drivers are so unskilled and unthinking as to be a constant hazard to you and to themselves and others. If law enforcement, using their dash cams for evidence, started ticketing tailgaters maybe folks would learn safe following distances.

Exactly! And, it seems to get scarier by the day. Adding to the collection of the simply stupid and clueless are those distracted by cell phones, digital "pads", etc. that are often seen weaving side to side as they read and write messages to their buddies. Not sure how it might happen but I think we need enforcement of distracted driving laws way more than we need enforcement of speed limits. Yeah, speed enforcement is easier to do but seems more and more like the real killers are those driving with their eyes and minds elsewhere. OK, rant over... sorry :)

Be careful out there folks!

Exactly! And, it seems to get scarier by the day. Adding to the collection of the simply stupid and clueless are those distracted by cell phones, digital "pads", etc. that are often seen weaving side to side as they read and write messages to their buddies. Not sure how it might happen but I think we need enforcement of distracted driving laws way more than we need enforcement of speed limits. Yeah, speed enforcement is easier to do but seems more and more like the real killers are those driving with their eyes and minds elsewhere. OK, rant over... sorry :)

Be careful out there folks!

I wonder if the "lack" (dearth) of adequate enforcement is down to excess litigators in the nation. If there are rules about "profiling", etc. and agencies are fearful of lawsuits it will have a definite effect on enforcement. :stick

OK.. would be nice if we could see drivers getting to be better drivers.. ain't gonna happen
It would be nice if multilane highways were marker clearly and people understood slower to right, faster/passing to left.. ain't gonna happen
It would be nice if drivers could be less distracted... ain't gonna happen
It would be nice if drivers understood motorcycles better... ain't gonna happen
It would be nice if roads were becoming less congested.. ain't gonna happen
It would be nice if there were less and less irritated drivers our there... ain't gonna happen
It would be nice if there were less and less drivers who were chemically not as aware as might otherwise been... it ain't gonna happen
It would be nice if there become one culture of understanding of how our highways system works.. it ain't gonna happen
It would be nice if highways were better marked for the safer speeds todays vehicles are capable of.. (well maybe.. Texas is going up to 85), but for the rest of us it ain't gonna happen
It would be nice if passing lanes on two lanes roads reflected the performance abilities of todays vehicles.. it aint gonna happen
It would be nice if LEOs would ticket the way we think they should.. It ain't gonna happen..

So.... We can debate all the above ... still, it ain't gonna happen for the most part

SOOOO.. we are left with facing increasing risks on highways.. We can be bullheaded or we can adapt to the safest action we can do at any particular moment. That may mean riding in a fashion that we aren't accustomed to... (Do we need better education and skills). That may mean we have to ride in a fashion that is contrary to how we WANT to ride. That may mean we have to model for others what we wish they would do for us.. (Where else might that teaching happen?) That may mean we seriously need to remember, we are vulnerable and invisible to them and their whims. Debating how we might be better alive riders is at the forefront of the discussion. The discussion of "if only THEY."... whoever THEY is.. "WOULD......." well it ain't gonna happen.

NCS

Back