• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

00 R1100RT Fairing "Toasted"

I had also wondered about putting some type of coating like Rhinoliner or some heat resistant stuff on those surfaces.

Once Christmas vacation gets here, I'll probably pull mine and get them ceramic coated. I had them coated by a local firm and it started bubbling in first 5 minutes it ran. I'll do a bit more research this time and ship them off somewhere to get a good coating.

I think maybe you answered your own question in the first sentence describing "the fins that direct airflow over the cylinders".

I'm not a design engineer but I strongly suspect they are there for a very good reason on our fully faired bikes. I'm guessing your bike would get less airflow and less efficient cooling without them and so removing them might be a bad idea.

I did the header wrap with no real improvement

Yea my 99RT did the same thing. I purchased a package of header wrap from the local parts store. It takes some time to do it right, but if you follow the instructions carefully, it will turn out very nice. I did mine all the way to just in front of the catolic converter. Heat problem solved!!! :thumb

I wrapped the headers this weekend, but my heat problems seems no better. I have people telling me it will be worse because the wrap makes it even closer to the tupperware. I'm at my whits end with this bike!

Once Christmas vacation gets here, I'll probably pull mine and get them ceramic coated. I had them coated by a local firm and it started bubbling in first 5 minutes it ran. I'll do a bit more research this time and ship them off somewhere to get a good coating.

Jet Hot seems to be the hot ticket crew for this.

I wrapped the headers this weekend, but my heat problems seems no better. I have people telling me it will be worse because the wrap makes it even closer to the tupperware. I'm at my whits end with this bike!

wrapping the headers is treating the symptom, not the cause. your bike should not be running so hot as to blister the paint and melt parts.

booster plug

there seems to be a product called the Booster Plug which will apparently richen up the mixture a bit. If this is the case, and it's also the case that the engine tends to overheat because it's running lean, then is it possible that installing the Booster Plug could rectify some of the heat problem? Anyone know this product enough to comment?
Thanks, Tony

I think I can answer the question about the booster plug. I believe it makes the exhaust temps lower. I remember one night I was tuning my 1150, turned the light out and the pipes were glowing. I think that was before I put the BoosterPlug on the bike. Mines running so well, syncing the TBs is a pretty quick affair any more. I haven't noticed them glowing since and I've had the BP on for a couple of years now.

And no, I haven't had the chance to ceramic coat the headers yet. It's riding season down here.

there seems to be a product called the Booster Plug which will apparently richen up the mixture a bit. If this is the case, and it's also the case that the engine tends to overheat because it's running lean, then is it possible that installing the Booster Plug could rectify some of the heat problem? Anyone know this product enough to comment?
Thanks, Tony

I know this product well and have three of them, two that Jens (the owner) has given me as loaners. if your bike has an oxygen sensor, a BoosterPlug will not change your exhaust temperature.

An engine runs its hottest at lambda=1 or 14.7:1. It is widely assumed that leaner is hotter but that's not the case. Get the mixture either richer OR leaner than 14.7:1 and the exhaust temperature goes DOWN. A richer mixture allows the extra fuel to cool the exhaust and with a leaner mixture the extra air cools it.

If you would like to borrow a BP for the cost of two-way shipping feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Back