• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Power Source For GPS

bobr9

Apologize in advance if this should be in the gear thread, but was looking for some model specific info so thought this might be a better place.

99 R1100RT

Getting ready to install a Zumo 660 and am looking for suggestions on where to tap in for power. I am indifferent whether it is switched or not; looking for something that is convenient where I don't have to take half the bike apart to get at.

Suggestions on what others have done would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Apologize in advance if this should be in the gear thread, but was looking for some model specific info so thought this might be a better place.

99 R1100RT

Getting ready to install a Zumo 660 and am looking for suggestions on where to tap in for power. I am indifferent whether it is switched or not; looking for something that is convenient where I don't have to take half the bike apart to get at.

Suggestions on what others have done would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

You'll probably hear lots of pros and cons on switched power vs un-switched power. I wired mine straight to the battery. It stays on when I gas up and other very short stay right by the bike stops. Why? This generates way less track log files and I like to download them when I get home. I also like to be able to just walk up to the GPS on the bike and check something or whatever without needing to turn on the ignition. Power consumption for the cradle is less than the quartz clock. Tried and tested.

Agreed

You'll probably hear lots of pros and cons on switched power vs un-switched power. I wired mine straight to the battery. It stays on when I gas up and other very short stay right by the bike stops. Why? This generates way less track log files and I like to download them when I get home. I also like to be able to just walk up to the GPS on the bike and check something or whatever without needing to turn on the ignition. Power consumption for the cradle is less than the quartz clock. Tried and tested.

I had one GPS on switched power from the wire to the taillight. PITA. I just had a 660 installed, and we wired it straight to the battery (via the inline fuse that Garmin supplies).

It's pretty easy to remember to turn it off. I do that at stops, as I decide whether to unmount it and put it into the top case for security.

When you see the results in how much better all the trip functions work, you'll see that it's the way Garmin intended the software to work.

I leave mine on at gas and lunch stops if I can keep an eye on the bike. Given the current draw of the Garmin 660 it would take over two days to drain a typical 20 amp hour battery.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I am going to go with the un-switched source. I've had the GPS for two weeks now and just got to open the box this morning. So I look at the wiring harness and see there is about three feet of cable before it splits into the various outputs (power connection, headphone jack, microphone jack, mini-usb).

So am I correct in assuming that most people would route this section of cable back under the gas tank into the seat area so these other connections are available in the seated area? (as opposed to keeping this section somewhere up front around the handlebar area?) Can you do this without removing tupperware and/or the gas tank?

I went directly to the battery on my R1150R and my F650GS. Its just much simpler that way and I don't potentially compromise any other circuits.

I wire mine into the parking bulb located in the headlight. Its on when the bikes on and off when its off. easy to reach also. I've done this on 3 or 4 BMW's.

You need to remove the left side tupperware at a minimum and you can run the cable down the left frame tube but it is fiddly with the tank in the way. I just pull all the plastic off, remove the tank and then it's all there in front of you. Easy to route and cable tie properly and also easier to get to the battery of course. I've done 3 this way so far. Bit more work up front but you can clean and do other maintenance while you're at it.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I am going to go with the un-switched source. I've had the GPS for two weeks now and just got to open the box this morning. So I look at the wiring harness and see there is about three feet of cable before it splits into the various outputs (power connection, headphone jack, microphone jack, mini-usb).

So am I correct in assuming that most people would route this section of cable back under the gas tank into the seat area so these other connections are available in the seated area? (as opposed to keeping this section somewhere up front around the handlebar area?) Can you do this without removing tupperware and/or the gas tank?

My Garmin 660 came with that sort of harness. We routed the cable along a frame member, under the tank, with zip ties. The power wires and inline fuse go to the battery, and the other three connectors we zip tied to a frame member with enough slack that they hang out from under the seat. That way, you can connect noise isolating ear buds, a helmet microphone, or such if you need that.

I just use a Sena bluetooth wireless set in my helmet, so I don't normally use the wired connections. But, they are accessible if needed.

Welcome to the bright side.

Switched and unswitched power is available under the faring on the left side support frame from the radio wires. Red and white is hot all the time and uses the #3 fuse, purple and black is switched and uses #8 fuse. It's a convenient place to grab power.

Back