• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Clutch Life/Adjustment

rwl1955

I own a 2000RT w/41,000mi. on it. I need to adjust the clutch at the adjuster on the engine/clutch. which side panel do I remove for access(right or left)? I have the instructions from the manual.
Also, what is the average life of the clutch? I am the second owner and purchased the Beemer w/31,500mi 2 yrs. ago.
Thanks for the help.

There are probably different ways to do it, but I was able to reach mine by removing the left footpeg panel. It's been awhile, but I think the left-side tupperware needs to come off also.

Clutch adj.

found it. A co-worker has a 1100S and I was able to crawl around his and located the adjusting bolt/locknut. It`s right in front of the shock. What a PIA place. Thanks for the heads up.

The average live of a clutch is hard to say. Mine's got nearly 170.000kms on it (not miles, I'm in Europe) and as far as I can tell, it's on it's first.

I met a guy at the BMW Motorrad Days who's on a round the world trip on a GS and after 260.000kms he's also on his original clutch. And that's a 900pound bike with all the modifications for the RTW trip. So...if you're nice to it, it will last...

Access

Remove the black side panel, use a long extension and flex joint, loosen the 13mm nut and hand adjust the bolt. Set the play. Use Velcro to hold clutch in at handle and tighten.

Done.:lurk

found it. A co-worker has a 1100S and I was able to crawl around his and located the adjusting bolt/locknut. It`s right in front of the shock. What a PIA place. Thanks for the heads up.

that is really interesting/perplexing/weird, as looking at the back side of my engine/trans, all i see is a hydraulic slave cylinder- no adjustment capability anywhere at all. and according to Clymer's as regards the hydraulic clutch systems- "there is no routine clutch adjustment necessary or possible."
All i can think is that maybe your co-worker owns an RS, with a cable actuated clutch, rather than an S with a hydraulic system? :dunno

Access

Remove the black side panel, use a long extension and flex joint, loosen the 13mm nut and hand adjust the bolt. Set the play. Use Velcro to hold clutch in at handle and tighten.

Done.
Thanks, I`ll try your suggestion first.

Rs

hat is really interesting/perplexing/weird, as looking at the back side of my engine/trans, all i see is a hydraulic slave cylinder- no adjustment capability anywhere at all. and according to Clymer's as regards the hydraulic clutch systems- "there is no routine clutch adjustment necessary or possible."
All i can think is that maybe your co-worker owns an RS, with a cable actuated clutch, rather than an S with a hydraulic system?
You are correct, it`s a late 90`s RS.

Back