• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wheel to Drive Torque (2004K12GT)

joetRS

Joe T
Short and sweet question from a novice mechanic.

I took the wheel off my GT to have the tire replaced and when I looked at the Clymer manual about putting it back on it talked about torque wrench numbers. I put the bolts back on in the order recommended but don't have a torque wrench. All five went on without a hitch and everything looks just fine.

Am I okay without the torque wrench?

Curious Novice,
JT

Attachments

• k12GT_2004.jpg
    k12GT_2004.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
No, you need to torque those bolts correctly per the manual procedure. Bolts should be clean and dry. I usually hit mine with a stainless steel brush to make sure there's no scale on them. Also make sure the wheel and drive mounting surfaces are clean and dry. Insert the bolts and tighten in the approved pattern in two stages. Initial torque is 50nm (newton-meters) and final torque is 105nm.

Guessing at the torque on those bolts can result in a wheel coming loose at speed, and you certainly don't want that! You can pick up a serviceable clicker-style torque wrench for $50 or less if you watch the sales at Sears or other vendors. If you're going to be doing much service work yourself you'll be wanting a torque wrench or two (3/8" drive and 1/4" drive) in your tool box.

Best,

GTRider

Back