• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to purchase bike with a lien...

After all this, I have to know what kind of bike warranted all this effort?

This doesn't actually seem like all that much effort to me. Lots of people find a bike they want to buy that doesn't happen to be local to them. So they make plans and go get it. Also, lots of bikes are sold before the loan is totally paid off. So getting the lien released is commonplace.

This whole thread was "doing the homework" so there were no hangups for the transaction.

Go to get the bike, meet the guy at the bank, go to DMV. Seems pretty simple to me.

PGlaves, you hit the nail on the head. I was just doing my home to make SURE there would be no hang-ups. It's a lot simpler than many make it out to believe. I just sold a bike Saturday to a guy from central PA. Only difference in transaction is I didn't have a lien on the bike...

I facilitated a buddy (Va Bch, VA) buying a bike in Nova Scotia when I was stationed up there. Transaction was seamless, all in the prep...

I'd take the plates off the bike you're going to sell and take them with you. If you get stopped on the way home show the LEO your BoS and title. This is how I've always done it, but then again I've never been stopped and then had to explain myself.

There is no reason to take your own/plates with you and a BIG reason not to. The last thing you want to do is put those plates on a bike to which they are not assigned. You would be much better off riding with no plates and hoping you do not get stopped than getting stopped with plates on the bike that do not match the registration. The stepped process you have outlined (including the trip to DMV to get the In-Transit card is exactly what you need to do.

My current ride came from Dallas, TX, ~ 1,200k away from KY. It cost me a cheapo SW air tic, guy picked me up @ the AP & I had to ride all the way home. Horrible experience huh? There has never been a BMW bike for sale in my immediate area, much less a model choice. Look at ebay or Cycle Trader and you'll quickly see that there are only a few choices in the whole USA & certain models come up infrequently. Matter of fact stuff , this.
Come on! A title with a lien is not the same as a branded title. In the world of bikes, cars & trucks if you are limited to canned deals & whats in your spot of the world you are living small. It's your choice but you have made yourself choose from a lot less "stuff".
I've owned 4 new Tundras and can assure you that not one of them came from the 2 dealers nearest me as their business plan doesn't include saving me money.Try: Cinn,OH;Columbia,MO;Jacksonvill,NC & currently FT Wayne,IN-why?---MONEY& lots of it , at least to this old guy a few thousand makes a diff!!!
It's about WHAT you are going after & some of us are willing & have the time to do that. I've done many fly & drives . I've done many take a trailer & haul back's. There have been a few crappy situations such as the trip to Green Bay wherein the guy had plain & simple tried to slip it to me on a wreck that was not properly described, & I actually bought a different car from him and still made some $$$!

Returned home last night just before 8:00pm. Transaction went mostly smooth. DMV was a hickup. NY DMV would NOT accecpt my Insurance Card for an in-transit permit. DMV NY requires a copy of the "Binder". I called Progressive and it took about 15 minutes to get the document faxed.

For those of you that don't know, the range of the new K1600GT is out there.... I did 353 mile run, stopping for gas when mileage indicator told me I had 10 miles left. Seat comfort was MUCH better than I thought.

Back