• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

87 R80RT issue

jgp1854

87 R80RT 20k miles, original carburetors, and parts.

Recently tuned up, spark plugs, air filter, re-torgued heads, valve adjustment, and carb sync etc., fuel line.

I'm having an issue and hoping the "Diagnostic Gurus" can point me in the right direction. My issue is from idle, taking off in first gear the engine "shutters" or "shakes", once the RPM's are above say 2K it smooths out.

Any suggestions what to look at would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Does it bog down or just shake? If there is a loss of power then I would suspect a fuel delivery issue, specifically the idle jet...but definitely something in the carb. If it just shakes but no loss of power, then id suspect a deeper problem in the engine. Con rods, bearings, something along those lines is out of balance but smooths out at higher frequencies.

its kinda like a really rough idle as you increase the throttle. As it get higher in RPM's all seems well. Once you get up in RPM, it'll run right down the road.

My couple of thoughts... You may have an issue with the idle circuit. There are three regimes on the carb - idle (up to about 1/4 throttle), needle (1/4 to about 3/4 throttle), and main (3/4 throttle to WOT) - and you transition from one to the other. It might also be that you didn't really get a good synch. Synching the carbs includes the cable tension and is usually done at about 1500 to 2000 RPM. This is where differences in vacuum have a more prounced effect. Once you really get the butterflies open, any differences side to side begin to diminsh unless it's hugely off.

Kurt

I need a little further explanation of the "idle circuit", please. Also, once I'm able to get the RPM's up something over 2k, things smooth out. With that being said, what component would you suggest needs to be looked at in the BINGs. I've ordered rebuild kits, to include diaphragms, and needle valves.

thanks

73516 -

Read through this article on the Bing carbs...there are some good visuals there:

http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/cvcarb.pdf

Since you're having trouble coming off idle, I think the cables are not pulling evenly and you have mismatched vacuum during this period. Not knowing how you synched the carbs, which includes the cables, I'd have to suggest that's an area to investigate.

Back