• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Headed for The Dragon

willhawks

Headed for The Dragon 9/8. Tried to get there from Colorado in 06 and crashed 100 miles east of Memphis with much time in the Hurt Locker. This attempt will be from Scranton, PA. I hope to be there on Sunday.

Will3hawks

"Do not take counsel with your fears"
Stonewall Jackson

Headed for The Dragon 9/8. Tried to get there from Colorado in 06 and crashed 100 miles east of Memphis with much time in the Hurt Locker. This attempt will be from Scranton, PA. I hope to be there on Sunday.

Will3hawks

"Do not take counsel with your fears"
Stonewall Jackson

Why? Want to experience another accident? Want your picture taken as it happens? Want a speeding ticket? From what I have read (on Adventure Rider) there are many other roads in that vicinity which are just as entertaining if you like tight twisties that are lightly travelled and lightly policed.

The fact that I live on the opposite side of the continent is the least of the reasons I will never ride that particular road.

Go and enjoy! I went and now can say I have been there. Its not so much just the road and turns, it's the 'experience' of seeing the hoopla and spectacle of it all!

Don't let nay sayers ruin your fun! Besides, on a Monday morning, you will have the place to yourself!

Read my brief post in Ride Reports, r.e. riding in the VA mtns with Osbornk & his buddies & google "riding the snake" or the tail of the snake. I've ridden pretty much everywhere in all the states/places the eastern mtns & the Dragon is too crowded for a fun ride. I've been through there looking at the fall leaves & pulling our small RV trailer & had to worry the whole route about having a crotch rocket embedded into my PU truck! The dragon is a route that takes us home from that part of the USA so we have been through there a number of times . It may be slower on a Monday but having been through there many times it always has its showboats. You may also see more log trucks through the week and that makes for an interesting mix-the racers and the large heavy & slow trucks! If you gotta go, then go, but I warned you. They use both sides of the yellows lines as if it is a race course-beware!
There are better rides, just ask Osbornk.

True, do it to do it. I can easily go up and back for a day's ride. Would I make a special trip to do it now that I've done it? No. Would I ride it if I were in the area? Sure. It is a fun road. Just keep an eye peeled for motorcycles of ANY kind and cars coming into your lane head on. If you're seen crossing the center line it will get you a "performance certificate" quicker than a few miles over the speed limit.

In response to the naysayers...

Chose to take Stonewall's advice and rode the Dragon. No crashes, photos or speeding tickets: (sorry to disappoint).

To the "encouragers", thanks so much!

To the naysayers, RELAX, HAVE A LAXATIVE!!!

I remember my first time on the dragon. It's pretty cool to see the tree of shame and just to say you've done it.

Why? Want to experience another accident? Want your picture taken as it happens? Want a speeding ticket? From what I have read (on Adventure Rider) there are many other roads in that vicinity which are just as entertaining if you like tight twisties that are lightly travelled and lightly policed.

The fact that I live on the opposite side of the continent is the least of the reasons I will never ride that particular road.

Doug,quit reading and start riding... :):brad

The Dragon is okay during the week. It sucks during the weekend.

:thumb

During the week is fun. I rode it once on the weekend and felt like I was in a parade. However the kids on sportbikes were still passing lines of motorcycles and cars in curves. :eek

I went on a weekend. Traffic wasn't bad, neither was anything else. The cherohala was the best part of the day though.

First time I rode it was on a Sunday, in the rain, on a Honda Transalp with TKC80 tires (kind of knobby). So I was slow. Went north to south and timed it perfectly. From the dam overlook I waited until a faster guy took off and nobody else was geared up. So I rode all the way to Deal's Gap without passing or getting passed and was able to do a comfortable speed on the wet roads.

Five days later I did part of it again. Part because I came out of the park on Parson's Branch road, which is dirt, and hit the Dragon heading north. It's a bit more fun when it is dry. Had to slow down and check on a guy on a v-strom who was pulling out of a ditch. He ran a bit wide, but was fine.

Old Murphy Road

Those of you who enjoy western N. Carolina riding, take the time to run the "Old Murphy Road." It far surpasses Deals Gap in length and natural beauty. And, try and stay at the Balsam Inn, Balsam, NC, just off the Blue Ridge. It is over 100 years old and very lovely.

Jeff
2012 K1600GTL

Chose to take Stonewall's advice and rode the Dragon. No crashes, photos or speeding tickets: (sorry to disappoint).

To the "encouragers", thanks so much!

To the naysayers, RELAX, HAVE A LAXATIVE!!!
I don't need your laxative & like others that have "been there"(many times in my case), I was sincere & had a valid message but glad you're ride was good/safe.:thumb FWIW, I'm really glad the dragon exists as it does which keeps many other spots the quiet & super rides they happen to be.

Go and enjoy! I went and now can say I have been there. Its not so much just the road and turns, it's the 'experience' of seeing the hoopla and spectacle of it all!

Don't let nay sayers ruin your fun! Besides, on a Monday morning, you will have the place to yourself!

+1 !

My runs up and down The Dragon are well into double figures - loved every time I did it. :dance

I don't need your laxative & like others that have "been there"(many times in my case), I was sincere & had a valid message but glad you're ride was good/safe.:thumb FWIW, I'm really glad the dragon exists as it does which keeps many other spots the quiet & super rides they happen to be.

Exactly!

Those of you who enjoy western N. Carolina riding, take the time to run the "Old Murphy Road." It far surpasses Deals Gap in length and natural beauty. And, try and stay at the Balsam Inn, Balsam, NC, just off the Blue Ridge. It is over 100 years old and very lovely.

Jeff
2012 K1600GTL
Last week I found a road in the North Carolina mountains that is far better than the Old Murphy Road or the Dragon but I'm not telling where it is. :nyah

Last week I found a road in the North Carolina mountains that is far better than the Old Murphy Road or the Dragon but I'm not telling where it is. :nyah

I have been riding them for a few years, and I an not telling either. A section with 350 REAL turns, as compared to the GAPs 220, if you are generous (318 :rofl
). And the roads around it have even more.

I have been riding them for a few years, and I an not telling either. A section with 350 REAL turns, as compared to the GAPs 220, if you are generous (318 :rofl
). And the roads around it have even more.

How many driveways?

Back