• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thoughts on acquiring an 82 R65ls

I have a 82 R65 that I have since new. This was my only bike for a few years. Have been all over on it. It is a fun bike as a second bike or the only ride you may have.

Don

Wow, pretty cheap considering. Probably worth a look, but it might be pretty rough once you get there.

Fortunately it is only a few minutes from my home so it won't be a waste of time and travel if it does not turn out well. The owner does admit it is a bit rough and would not consider it to be in very nice cosmetic condition but he swears by the mechanical condition. He started out at 2200 for the bike and has gradually come down. I am thinking if it runs well it just might be worth it even if I just put it the barn for now. Thanks for the feedback.

82 r65ls

I acquired one a while back and have been getting in tip top shape, were getting very close. It is fun to run around on handles decent, not to "fast", but sufficient. The exhaust canisters are notorious for rusting, most replace with chrome, as the OEM are very high $, and quality is a problem. The black fairing pn 385 is in very short supply and breaking the tabs is common. The long and short, I'm glad I took the venture. My bride has a nickname for it, "THE MONEY PIT".

This forum and R65.org have been key to my ability to get answers to breathing new life into my LS. If you get it and don't like the Corbin let me know, might be interested in it.

Regards,

Thanks for the referal to the other forum, I had not even thought to Google R65. The pipes he had on it now are not the original black ones and it has an aftermarket fairing. I will just have to see how rough of shape it is in.

I had/rode one for a bit. They are not an ideal tour bike but great for a short trip. Mine had less than 500k when I got it and was PERFECT! except for the alteraation of the seat , master cyl replacement & the fairing had been altered to accomodate lowereing via harley shocks-I got the OEM shocks with it. After 5000k I sold it to a collector-where it belonged. Rough LS's go for way less than $2200 on ebay & come up every now & then and I've avoided them. I
I can ad , that I test rode the new Wee Strom 650 this past week & they are a much nicer ride than the R65LS but obviously not of the classic appearance of the LS styling! PM me if you buy it or have have specifics to ask.

82 r65

Buy it, they are fun bikes! Easy handling, good looking, not going to lose, everything to gain.

If the bike is (for the most part) mechanically sound...Meaning maybe a few wear items need replacing, but overall runs/rides good...Id be all over it! You can probably count on it being cosmetically rough, but who cares. Seems like the perfect beater bike to tinker with and beautify as you go along.

Bottom line, if it were in my area I probably would own it already. Id offer up $1500 and go from there.

Back