• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motorcycle Cannonball 2012

I'm going to have to root for a Harley again this time. Joe Gardela's 1914 class 2 Harley. I've known Joe for about 30 years. I've watched Joe ride off into a snow storm on one of his old Harley's more than once in Michigan.

Just read on the Yahoo /2 list that Craig Vechorik stepped up and supported Darryl big time! Darryl's been having problems with leaking and/or blowing head gaskets. Darryl tried two head gaskets and things seem to have stabilized. But in the meantime, Craig took heads off his own R52 and overnighted them to Darryl for his use. Darryl's going to have a down day in Sturgis where he'll do a lot of service. They'll decide to continue with the two gaskets or switch to Vech's loaner heads. But, man, Vech really did a solid on this one. Amazing support from him for the vintage community!!! :thumb :dance

Great Pix!

Damn! In order to ride in this thing, you'd have to be as tenacious as. . .

Voni Glaves!

This is a lot of fun to follow. . .and BMW oughta be paying Darryl for this "free" publicity.

Walking Eagle

Who has the numbers on the bike makes. I got the impression that most of the bikes were Harleys & Indians.
How many BMWs are out there?
I don't care who 'wins'. I think they all win if they get out there and have fun.
dc

Who has the numbers on the bike makes. I got the impression that most of the bikes were Harleys & Indians.
I don't care who 'wins'. I think they all win if they get out there and have fun.
dc

I think there are three BMW's

Darryl has talked about making his own copper head gaskets when he gets home. I have used Clark Copper Head Gaskets Co. 763-786-9590 in MN to custom make head gaskets for me in the past. Maybe someone can pass this on to Darryl.

dc

I think there are 17 Hendersons!

dc

Go to motorcyclecannonball.com

Run is over...

Yes, I found another photo, but it's not good. Darryl's OK. :thumb

Posted on another forum:

" just read where Daryll ran off of a cliff yesterday. About 10 feet down a
tree caught his bike (good time to be a tree hugger!). Otherwise, there was
another 100 feet to go. He is OK but out of the running."

BMWCliff-X2.jpg

From Darryl's blog on the Vintage site, he said he was happily enjoying the ride down CA-1, one of his favorite roads. Apparently, he took a turn which required additional lean angle due to the speed, but the floor boards levered the wheels off the ground and he took the tangent off the road.

He's in a hospital in Ukiah, CA, recovering from surgery to install some stablizing pins in his foot. He's doing fine otherwise, but as you can imagine, a little down on how things turned out, especially for the wealth of support he got from his team and others in the vintage motorcycle community.

Glad he is fine. We were just talking about levering the bike off the road in another thread this week.
To add some trivia to this thread:
Why is there a schefflera tree in the middle of the CA woods?
Glad he is doing ok. Bummer about the bike, the ride and the foot.
Hope he recovers quickly and that the bike comes through ok.

Really tough news.

As for definitions: I'd say "not seriously hurt and gonna be OK" but I am having a lot of trouble with in the hospital, broken foot, surgery, pins installed, etc as being "fine".

Here's to a quick mend to Darryl's injuries...to a happy repair of the bike and a thanks for taking us on the journey...sad it ended as it did...still something to be very proud to have been a part of...Thanks Darryl! :clap

Back