• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The oldtimers is settin' in . . . . . .

CTellman

I took things apart in May before a major project and I have forgotten about a set of electrical contacts.
On my 1993 R100RT there is a bright blue recepticle with five male contacts. There is room for six contacts but one is missing. This recepticle has no cover and is on the right side of the m/c. It is located behind the headlight and start relays. What plugs into this recepticle?
Thanks,
Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

Nothing -- I can't remember whether it should have a cover, but I recall that it is primarily there for Authority versions of the RT to power lights, etc.

Campbell, do you have heated grips??

I seem to recall when I bought my bike, I installed a factory kit
to upgrade to heated grips. And that blue plug was waiting for
me, just had to plug in the harness from the kit.

Same answer as Mark, extra stuff you don't have...

Campbell, do you have heated grips??

I seem to recall when I bought my bike, I installed a factory kit
to upgrade to heated grips. And that blue plug was waiting for
me, just had to plug in the harness from the kit.

Same answer as Mark, extra stuff you don't have...
Maybe a different blue plug? My '94 RT's heated grips were connected elsewhere (BMW kit). The empty blue plug I'm referring to is back nearly to the end of the frame backbone.

I took things apart in May before a major project and I have forgotten about a set of electrical contacts.
On my 1993 R100RT there is a bright blue recepticle with five male contacts. There is room for six contacts but one is missing. This recepticle has no cover and is on the right side of the m/c. It is located behind the headlight and start relays. What plugs into this recepticle?
Thanks,
Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

Your heading tells me you had a Brain Fart!

Hope others can guide you in the right direction.....

My 1985 R80RT has that same connector block. It had a plastic cover which went somewhere without me a few years back. When the bike was new, someone told me that it was for a factory diagnostic device, but I'm inclined to doubt that. On the other hand, I've just been too lazy to trace the wires to see if the connector appears to have been designed to power something or to diagnose something.

At any rate, I've never used it or seen it used for anything. I would not worry about it.

My 1985 R80RT has that same connector block. It had a plastic cover which went somewhere without me a few years back.
That rings a bell -- I remember at gray, flat-topped cover for the blue plug.

On the other hand, I've just been too lazy to trace the wires to see if the connector appears to have been designed to power something or to diagnose something.
I did -- the schematic I reviewed had references to Authority equipment.

At any rate, I've never used it or seen it used for anything. I would not worry about it.
I used the 12V terminal in the plug to power some long-forgotton piece of electronics (a helmet speaker for listening to mp3's from a GPS, IIRC) -- a convenient source of ignition-switched 12V power.

Given that at least one of the terminals is "live" when the ignition is on, the "prudent" thing to do would be to provides some sort of cover/plug/weather protection. That said, given where the plug is, it would take quite a monsoon, or the routing of thinly-insulated wires directly over the blue plug for any real problem to ever occur. Probably the easiest thing to do is wrap electrician's tape around it, and then forget it.

Back