• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Western Maryland Ride 5/22

dadsabiker

Rob Lehmann
My Western Maryland Ride was this last Sunday; What a blast! In conjunction with some great new friends that I met on the BMWBMW forum and some Western Maryland locals, we did a Sunday brunch ride with 130+ miles of twisties, lakefront, mountain views and highways. Although pictures only begin to tell the story, and there is really no way to capture the beauty of our area (short of riding it), I have a link to a mini-photo album which at least shows the scope of the ride and the variety of bikes present. I'm looking forward to organzing another one of these rides perhaps in the Fall when the leaves change. So, any of you mid-Atlantic riders out there that might be up for something like this, give me a shout and let me know your level of interest. This was my first organized ride, and we had 12 bikes. But, with as desolate as our roads are out here, we probably could have had 50 and not lost anyone! Here's the link to the pics. Use the "view slideshow" feature to view them: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diecasttoys/album?.dir=/1faa

dadsabiker said:
My Western Maryland Ride was this last Sunday; What a blast! In conjunction with some great new friends that I met on the BMWBMW forum and some Western Maryland locals, we did a Sunday brunch ride with 130+ miles of twisties, lakefront, mountain views and highways. Although pictures only begin to tell the story, and there is really no way to capture the beauty of our area (short of riding it), I have a link to a mini-photo album which at least shows the scope of the ride and the variety of bikes present. I'm looking forward to organzing another one of these rides perhaps in the Fall when the leaves change. So, any of you mid-Atlantic riders out there that might be up for something like this, give me a shout and let me know your level of interest. This was my first organized ride, and we had 12 bikes. But, with as desolate as our roads are out here, we probably could have had 50 and not lost anyone! Here's the link to the pics. Use the "view slideshow" feature to view them: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diecasttoys/album?.dir=/1faa

Sounds good! I'm not exactly close (Chevy Chase = suburban DC), but would love to explore that part of the state at some point. Much prettier than down here for sure, although I found more nice roads around here than I expected. I'm a newbie myself, bought an R1100R last October. I don't know (m)any people that ride, so I typically go out on my own. (S.O. is going to do the Maryland MSF basic rider course the 1st weekend of june, so we'll see if she likes to ride.)

So make that 13 bikes for the fall ride :)

Best,
Jacco

Hi Jacco, I'm a Montgomery County native and there are some nice roads to ride in the county, especially in the northern areas. However, it's a different world altogether out here in the western part of the state. Hopefully, you can make it up here to ride in the Fall, or if you plan on coming up this way prior to that, please give me a shout. I love to ride, and there's a severe shortage of Bimmers (as well as BMW riders) here in Allegany County :D

-Rob Lehmann

Rob,

It would be nice if you could let me know once the plans for the fall ride are more definite. Shall I send you a PM with my email address? Or you can send me an email through the forum website, whatever you prefer. I'll subscribe to this thread, so that I get an e-mail if a new post gets added to it a few months down the road.

Best,
Jacco

Rob and Jacko,

I would have to agree that western MD has some pretty decent riding to offer (although I prefer Upstate NY). I do alot of riding on on the east side of 81, but ocassionally get out toward Cumberland. When I do, I usually shoot south to Berkely Springs and then run routes 9 and 45 back to Shepardstown, WV, and come back up through Harpers Ferry. I may be interested in the fall ride as well.

Chris
Mt. Airy

Hey Chris,

Once you get to Cumberland, keep going WEST, as that's where the real riding begins. :wow The Berkeley Springs area is really nice, but nothing like the mountains of Garrett County. Upstate New York is gorgeous, and you get some of that flavor in our western-most counties.

I will keep you both posted as to the dates of our Fall ride. Also, keep an eye out on the bmwbmw.org forum, as that is where most of the riders in Maryland, DC, Virginia and West Virginia are hanging out. :wave

FYI-There are alot of additional comments and pics from our Western Maryland Ride last week on that thread. Here's a link for easy transport: http://bmwbmw.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1460

-Rob Lehmann

Back