• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire pressure monitoring system, 2001 R1150GS

John M

I just added a tire safegaurd to my to my r1150gs. Purchased via amazon for $189.00. The sensors screw onto the valve stems and lock on with an Alan wrench. The sensors have replaceable batteries. The display is rechargeable and has a backlight for night use.

Setup was very simple and it seems to work very well, monitoring temperature and pressure of front and rear, with high pressure, low pressure and high temp alerts. I tested everything and it seems to be very accurate vs two separate digital pressure gauges. I mounted the display on the right handlebar left of the main controls and it fits nicely and blends in ok.

After losing a front tire at high speed due to a slow leak I became a bit compulsive about checking tire pressure constantly. I will update after a longer trip should anything less than positive come up. So far I recommend this product as an aftermarket solution. It can be configured for trikes and trailers as well.
John M

The problem that I (personally) have with this specific solution is that you have the special caps on the valves which can be taken off easily. Ok, you need an allen wrench for it, but I park my bike outside so a thief can come prepared.
Also, the display is not fixed to the bike. You have to take it off every time. Especially to recharge it. I'd like a simple solution that don't require constant/regular attention.

I do like the fact the the sensors have easy replaceable batteries. In that respect, the weakness is an asset too.

I came across a system with sensors that go inside the wheel. So it has to be mounted when changing tyres, but the (encapsulated) battery holds for about 2 years. After that, you have to tinker a bit (it can be done), or buy new sensors. The display can be mounted on the bike semi-permanent. The unit is battery powered and this battery is easily replaced.

This is the system:
zadi.jpg

Don't mean to come down on your nice system, but I've looked into these systems for some time now and I could never really find a system that's both easy, care-free and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I mean, for $$$ you can buy a very nice system, but it has to be reasonable too.

Last edited:
Valve stems need to be strong

I believe I have the same system you do. Tiregard. The security feature with the allen screw is only going to slow down a determined thief. And in the process will likely damage the valve stem. So I decided to not install the security ring. The second and most important and I unfortunatly have direct experience with. The extra weight on the end of the valve stem will cause the valve stem to rock back and forth while going around curves causing the valve stem to crack, especially if your working the twisty roads. Make sure you have metal valve stems, the rubber ones will crack. I do like the system, it's easy and low maintanence.

Back