• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Permanent oil filter

TOMDURRANT

Tom Durrant
Scott makes stainless oil filters that filter down to 35 microns. At twenty dollars a filter, I haven't changed my oil as often as I should. The stainless filter makes oil changing a very cheap and convenient job and I'm changing my oil more often. I think they are well worth investigating.( it's also hinged)

almost permanent

I change my filter every 10K miles...oil every 2500.......152K miles & going strong!!:thumb

those stainless ones are interesting, but what people often don't consider is that you have to clean those things out and replace the rubber on them on occasion, frankly I'd rather just use the paper and dispose of them, that way I know I'm putting in a new filter that's 100% clean with new rubber. I replace mine every other oil change and I buy the Mahle ones (they make them for BMW) at a significantly cheaper price.

An interesting review of oil filters - even though they don't apply to our airheads
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

just google scott oil filters and you'll get the lowdown.

Well their lowdown anyway. I'm one to question things and not believe everything he reads.

10 Years of Engineering, manufacturing and testing.

And what testing during that 10 year period was performed...by a non-biased third party?

Given "Full Throttle" rating my Fast By Design
Labeled "4-Stroke insurance" by MotoCross Action Magazine
Rated "9" by Dirt Rider Magazine

Gawd, I have to chuckle at some of the magazines.
And what tests did they perform to give it a rating.

And in the end, like a K&N air filter, what does this oil filter filter to after 5 or 10 washings, if you can wash them? I see that "Sonic cleaning available from the manufacturer".

Rick -

Just what bike was that picture taken from? Doesn't look like an Airhead...almost looks like some kind of spin-on filter cover on the side of the photo.

The collapsed filter has happened albeit rarely. There are usually extenuating circumstances for this...cold oil, high revving shortly after starting, non-working pressure relief system, etc. The long unhinged filter is more prone to this, given the right situation. The hinged filter is actually stiffer due to the two small pleated sections with the metal rings in between.

Some of us are luddites...you can count me in that category. I don't really like to mess with something that works quite well and is part of the original design. I'll take a "chance" with a Dyna III ignition system, but I'm less likely to try anything too radical when it comes to the oil system.

I get my filters from Beemer Boneyard (http://www.beemerboneyard.com/oilfilters.html) . A 5 pack of Mahle filters is $50 (hinged is $65) and a 5 pack of Fram is $25. I use the Frams despite the bashing because I have been using Frams on various vehicles in 1962 and have never had a problem with them.

Besides, I wouldn't want to endure the mess and aggravation of cleaning a filter. I remember cleaning the oil bath air filters on very old cars and tractors.

35 microns are pretty large rocks folks.

Std dirts used for filter testing by any lab are much smaller particles..

Screens aren't a terrible concept for a racing motor where long life is of little concern and teardowns/rebuilds are frequent but are really stupid for long term use..

How do I know this? Ran a filter test lab......

You can amuse and educate by googling such items as CAAD and FAAD, oil film thicknesses, etc and glean a few of your own facts.

35 microns are pretty large rocks folks.

Std dirts used for filter testing by any lab are much smaller particles..

Screens aren't a terrible concept for a racing motor where long life is of little concern and teardowns/rebuilds are frequent but are really stupid for long term use..

How do I know this? Ran a filter test lab......

You can amuse and educate by googling such items as CAAD and FAAD, oil film thicknesses, etc and glean a few of your own facts.

I agree that 35 microns is almost not filtering. Paper filters usually are around 15 microns. But in aviation we had reusable steel filters good to 1 micron in the hydraulic systems. We would clean then in jet fuel in an ultrasound cleaner and re-use them. Steel filters can be very good, but perhaps not this one from Scott.

Back