• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding Fatigue

One thing for certain, fatigue on a bike is very real and should not be taken lightly. I have twice proven it is possible to fall completely asleep at the handlebar. Brief though it was, I was "alseep at the bar", having nothing to do with liquor. Luckily, in both cases I awoke before disaster struck.

If you are fatigued and tired, don't push it. Don't ride.

Good advice...same advice I employed when flying. And when I ignored it, I totally understood the pilots' saying: "I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground"! :brow

Riding motorcycles versus golf (A good walk wasted, Mark Twain). I see the cycle ride as a much more beneficial activity.

But then, I really suck at golf. And I am never more confident and comfortable than when I am riding. Heh, go figure.

I do quite a bit of both, and I will say this: there's nothing like the experience of a well-struck golf ball.

I do quite a bit of both, and I will say this: there's nothing like the experience of a well-struck golf ball.

Well there is that. I shot 81 a couple of weeks ago (I'm a 15 HC), so it was "one of those days"...but a bad round since then made me wish I'd ridden the bike instead.

i would always carry my Camelbak with me, but only drank from it when i stopped. For the past 2 years or so I have taken to wearing it, and drinking from it about every 10-15 minutes. I find that i stay much more refreshed and alert throughout a full riding day by doing so. And, it forces more frequent stops along the way. having to pee really forces wakefulness!

I drink a lot of espresso regardless. Long riding days don't adversely affect me at all, if I have the right clothing in cold weather, and if I am dressed light enough in hot weather. I posted somewhere else about roughly 11 hours with no more than a 30 minute lunch break and two 10 minute fuel/pit stops, and I felt like a million bucks that night and the next morning.

+1 Camelbak

Bikerfish nailed the right advice for avoiding dehydration.

If riding in the west, and especially in hot weather, -- my opinion, for what it's worth -- is that you CANNOT stay properly hydrated by drinking only at gas stops. And, many times these western roads have few-and-far-between gas stops, anyway. Try crossing the Mojave in summer heat without a Camelbak, and you might not make it.

When we get dehydrated, the first thing to go is the "judgment/reaction" part of the old walnut. . .not the best thing to lose when on two wheels.

AGE is a huge factor in both fatigue and recovery time. An older person can be in great physical shape, do everything "right" - good sleep, etc., and might still feel tired the day after fatiguing activity -- (that would be some hours of concentrated riding, versus a round of cow-pasture pool.)

Learning to pace oneself as we age is part of the deal, and trying to conform to another's regimen may not be a good idea. I intend to keep riding until they pry my cold, dead fingers from the bars, face set in a final smile.

Walking Eagle

I did 108 miles on mountain canyon roads today...two days after doing the same ride. I felt no fatigue at all. But...I attribute this to water, good diet and (this is huge, since I can vouch for the difference in not wearing them) good earplugs. Holy cow...I cannot believe how much better my rides have been since I cut the noise. In fact, I have NO IDEA how I did this ride without them.

Last summer I rode straight through from Vancouver BC to Las Vegas Nevada, a total distance of a little over 1300 miles. It took just about 20 hours. I drank a lot of water, ate several power bars and took 4 or 5 naps of 20-30 minutes in grassy areas at rest stops. I intentionally did not eat any large meals since I am aware that a meal can tend to make me sleepy. Even with these precautions that I considered reasonable, when after covering about 1,000 miles I pulled into Ely Nevada for my last gas stop, I forgot to put my feet down when I pulled up and stopped at the gas pump. Fortunately, I prevented the tip over, but it was close. I made it on into Las Vegas without incident. However, there is no question that I was not ridding safely for the last 400 miles or so and I will never attempt such a ride again.

I think a certain level of fitness is important for distance riding. Heat, wind buffeting, vibration, continually concentrating, it takes it out of you.

Core fitness will help prevent back issues.

Also, as we age, we lose muscle mass (Sarcopenia), and anaerobic workouts can reduce the loss.

My hands fall asleep

I rode a cruiser for 3 years and never had any problems. Then I bought a K1200rs and a few months after that a new pair of size Large Dainese gloves. Shortly thereafter I began to experience my hands falling asleep / going numb. I don't know if it is the gloves or the riding position of the bike. Gloves are size large and I don't have XL hands.

Maybe the gloves have shrunk over time? I live in CA and they have probably absorbed a lot of sweat. They are pretty tight. I can't recall if they were looser when I first purchased them.

I believe the prior owner of the K1200 added risers. I have the old mounts and the ones on the bike look to be taller and adjusted up all the way.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

I have switched the way my bars are bolted on, counter clockwise one hole for the left bar, clockwise one hole for the right bar. They point pretty much 45 degrees back, maybe a little more. This worked for me, although it requires me to reach a little for low speed drastic turns.

I rode 900 miles to the rally in July. The temperature was over 100F. I had full gear. I was sweating like a pig. But, I was drinking a lot of water. While riding, I had a camel back on and would sip it until it was gone. When my water was gone, I would stop and fill it up the camel back and repeat. My water breaks forced me to stop every 50-100 miles. On arriving at my hotel that evening, I was not really tired, or sore. In contrast, on the last day of my ride home I followed a guy that did not take breaks. I went two hours without a break. This ruined my day. By afternoon, I was exhausted. and sore. To recover, I had to take a few very long breaks, rehydrate, and eat. Taking frequent breaks makes riding more fun. Also frequent breaks give the rider an opportunity to replenish the body with water and the needed electrolytes. A happy rider is a more attentive rider.

Anyone else have this happen to them?...Fidster

I had a pair of Marmot Mountain Works ice climbing gloves that would put my hands to sleep, I think because they were a bit tight. I used them for rain.

I realized after reading something in this vein that I was not breathing properly. When riding the canyons, I was so focused that I breathed very shallowly. When I realized I was holding my breath at times, it was a simple fix to pay attention to my breathing...and it prevented fatigue.

Same thing happened when I was flying...during some maneuvers requiring intense focus, I'd hold my breath. I'd be tired after landing, and it took some time to figure out why...

Do you guys get that after a highly focused ride on the twisties, too?

Even though I've been doing this for a while, at the end of a long day where the whole day of riding is nothing but twisties and switchbacks, I'll start making mistakes and will slow down.

This is the road I take at the end of a long 350 mile day. That would be considered a short day here, but in the Alps on roads like this, you are easily looking at 9 hours with a couple of breaks.

Not my videos...
Part 1

Part 2

Even though I've been doing this for a while, at the end of a long day where the whole day of riding is nothing but twisties and switchbacks, I'll start making mistakes and will slow down.

Thanks for the vids, Alex. Makes me want to get out there and sweep the roads! :laugh

A big risk when one is tired and or dehydrated is that someone in that condition lacks the ability to judge their personal road-worthiness. Similar in many ways to alcohol intoxication. A numb brain is not a good thing.

The Iron Butt Association has on it's site an excellent set of guidelines for long distance riding.

As far as numbness of the hands, the last year or so I am having this in my right hand. No changes in the bike, grips or gloves. I have concluded that is due to some type of deterioration related to my age. The numbness is quickly dealt with by a good "shake out" It's just a nuisance.

I think a certain level of fitness is important for distance riding. Heat, wind buffeting, vibration, continually concentrating, it takes it out of you.

Core fitness will help prevent back issues.

Also, as we age, we lose muscle mass (Sarcopenia), and anaerobic workouts can reduce the loss.

I read through this entire thread, hoping the SOMEONE would mention fitness. I am happy to see that water and hydration made multiple appearances.
The two combined, make for a MUCH better over all life- not to mention motorcycling, and yes, even (God forbid) golf.

While I take some of the hydration hype with however many grains of salt, I honestly feel water cannot be pushed too hard. While I wouldn't drink a gallon a day- or two, a steady flow of water in one's world WILL absolutely make a HUGE difference in your over all well being. This is not BS- it is completely realistic.

Same for fitness. Pilates is great for core strength- heck just walking will make a world of difference in your life. Walking (or any kind of cardio), some weights, and pilates will transform you. Toss in some yoga and you will be a totally new person. You'll stay strong, flexible, and ready to do anything you like. You can ride, golf, or whatever- and never have another next-day "crash".

For the record, I am no foo-fooey new age-er, but a regular guy who likes to stay strong so I can continue to work hard and play as I want. I'm 56, BTW- maybe a little younger than some of the posters here...

OK, get this down- next then, we'll work on diet, and food intake! :laugh

In all seriousness tho- I believe firmly in all the above.

Back