• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

It's BMW Scooter Time!

WOW really looks like a lot of space between the frame and tupperware, looks like wasted space BMW could have used to increase storage capacity, good spot if someone wanted to have a nice tool kit for example.

WOW really looks like a lot of space between the frame and tupperware, looks like wasted space BMW could have used to increase storage capacity, good spot if someone wanted to have a nice tool kit for example.

Those top frame bars are inside the storage area, not outside - I could be wrong, but I don't think there's as much free space there as you might be thinking...

Those top frame bars are inside the storage area, not outside - I could be wrong, but I don't think there's as much free space there as you might be thinking...

I thought the frame was hidden by the liner.
I do agree it might not be that much space, hard to tell by just a picture, "1D" instead of "3D"

The majority is resting on the plastic that forms the top of the fender. You can have a peek at the sides, between the liner and the side of the body by just pulling the liner inward just forward of the upper frame rail that is visible.
I have put a tire repair and pump on one side and jumper cables on the other, all between the liner and the body. On the right side there is an adjustment for the seat release.

Wind deflectors

I read on another website that the wind deflectors for your hands at $181 were not worth the money. I had no intentions on that purchase. This is for your info.

Those seem like something that might only be worth it for folks riding in extreme cold weather, where getting just a little more wind off your hands might make a noticeable difference. I don't ride below the 40s and rarely below the 50s, where the heated grips are more than enough.

Those seem like something that might only be worth it for folks riding in extreme cold weather, where getting just a little more wind off your hands might make a noticeable difference. I don't ride below the 40s and rarely below the 50s, where the heated grips are more than enough.

I live in Toronto (Canada) recently it has been about 40 (3 celsius) and as you said I find not a lot of wind hits the hands in the first place and the heated grips are plenty.

I just use snowmobile gloves when the weather gets cold and have done fine in the past with those and heated grips. I think the deflector looks kind of neat on the GT, not so much on the S version.
Maybe the guy at that cycle review site will try them and give a report, or a member here will.

Heh heh, "Warning, others may be hit by objects falling off your scooter". Great. Just great. Yugo's had this problem too.

I just use snowmobile gloves when the weather gets cold and have done fine in the past with those and heated grips. I think the deflector looks kind of neat on the GT, not so much on the S version.
Maybe the guy at that cycle review site will try them and give a report, or a member here will.

I guess there's another use too - if you've ever had rocks hit you in the hand while riding, the idea of deflecting the windstream around to avoid this has some appeal. Unfortunately this seems like it would have the side effect of losing the ventilation advantage of ram air around the arms - my favorite jacket has little air scoops at the ends of the sleeves and for hot weather riding, I actively want that air stream!

Something to watch for

Check your rear brake hose and make sure it isn't rubbing the underside of the fairing at the bottom of the front helmet holder - mine was rubbing a little, I'm guessing at the peak of suspension action, and over time this might damage the cargo compartment or the brake hose.

Sorry what bike are you talking about

C650GT. The rear brake hose runs along the top of the swingarm, but up closer to the front of the bike, mine is (or was, if they've fixed it) apparently contacting the bottom of the fairing where the fairing for the cargo compartment is at its lowest (in the front where a helmet would be sitting top down) when the suspension was fully compressed - it left marks on both the fairing underside and on the brake hose.

C650GT. The rear brake hose runs along the top of the swingarm, but up closer to the front of the bike, mine is (or was, if they've fixed it) apparently contacting the bottom of the fairing where the fairing for the cargo compartment is at its lowest (in the front where a helmet would be sitting top down) when the suspension was fully compressed - it left marks on both the fairing underside and on the brake hose.

Thanks Jim
I did look at the scooter today and yes you can see that the underside has been rubbed a few times as the dirt has been marked. How often has this happened I do not know but it will definitely been shown to the dealer next time it goes in. I do not know what they will do but yes it is a safety concerns, maybe not today but in time. Sorry the attached photo is upside down. (i tried to correct it but I am working on my phone) Jim is this what you see on your scooter. See the picture below in a following message.
Jeff

Last edited:
Back