• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

It's BMW Scooter Time!

We had over 800 miles when we took our bikes in for the 600 mile service and the service reminder did not come on.

On C650GTs or your K bike? My K1200Gt was an 07 so didn't have the service reminder.

On C650GTs or your K bike? My K1200Gt was an 07 so didn't have the service reminder.

Sorry, I forgot to say that was on our 2011 K1300S's. I was guessing that all the bikes with the service reminder were the same, but I could be wrong.

I'm just following the scooter talk because I like scooters.

The gs-911 may not be compatible with the scooter as the computer at the dealer was not compatible when my bike went through and they were not able to set anything on my scooter at the time. The gs-911 may need a software update. The system at the dealer now has updated software. When I got my scooter in early October they had little info on it and I new more than the dealer. From what I have gathered is that the dealer has to set the clock for service when it gets pdi'd. When the service light comes on it is only for a short bit of time at start up. If it is left the word service stays on and so does the yellow warning light. This is what I am trying to avoid. The gs-911 as mentioned may not be compatible at this time unless someone else can advise me differently. I hope it is or at least will be next fall when I am ready for my major service.

The gs-911 may not be compatible with the scooter as the computer at the dealer was not compatible when my bike went through and they were not able to set anything on my scooter at the time. The gs-911 may need a software update.

From what I have gathered is that the dealer has to set the clock for service when it gets pdi'd. When the service light comes on it is only for a short bit of time at start up. If it is left the word service stays on and so does the yellow warning light. This is what I am trying to avoid. The gs-911 as mentioned may not be compatible at this time unless someone else can advise me differently. I hope it is or at least will be next fall when I am ready for my major service.

I checked the Hexcode site and do not see the scooter listed, same for the K1600.

What you describe on the service message sounds like our K1300S,s except for the yellow triangle. At first the service message shows at start up and shuts off. If you ignore it for a 1000 miles or so the word service stays on, but no yellow triangle for us.
If the yellow triangle comes on for the scooter, that's a pain because now you don't notice a low TPM, low fuel or other warnings.
You could email the guys at Hexcode and ask if the scooter is supported and if not, when will it be added.
http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/

I have no experience buying new bikes (or scooters) from a dealer but for the price of these things you'd think they'd do at least the first oil change for free. Lots of car dealers do. Just sayin'...

I checked the Hexcode site and do not see the scooter listed, same for the K1600.

What you describe on the service message sounds like our K1300S,s except for the yellow triangle. At first the service message shows at start up and shuts off. If you ignore it for a 1000 miles or so the word service stays on, but no yellow triangle for us.
If the yellow triangle comes on for the scooter, that's a pain because now you don't notice a low TPM, low fuel or other warnings.
You could email the guys at Hexcode and ask if the scooter is supported and if not, when will it be added.
http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/

I emailed the guys at hexcode this morning and got a reply already. They told me they just got their c600 sport. At the present time they are working on it and will implement the programing in due course (their words)

Heated seat and grips

When I was riding around the other day in the cool weather I found the heated grips to be pretty good in the auto setting. As for the seat i did not find the auto setting to be quite enough as I barely even felt heat, I found the low or high setting to be more effective.

BMW likes to list things as options, but in fact you don't really have an option. I don't know if a dealer can actually "order" a particular bike or not (built to a customers wishes). Maybe at one time, but not any more. If you are lucky they can get a particular color.

What were they thinking?

Three or four of us here in the mountains have been waiting for months for the opportunity to ride the BMW scooters. One had gotten tired of waiting and bought a used Burgman 650 but still wanted a BMW. We made an appointment to have a test ride (its a 100 mile ride to the dealership and we wanted to make sure one was available) and left this morning in below freezing temperatures.

When we got to the dealership, we immediately found the C650GT and the 600 Sport. The tallest of us has a 29" inseam and he could barely tiptoe when sitting on the seat of either one. The seat is over 31" tall and it is wide. This makes the scooter impractical for those of us with short inseams and for the average woman. The hump between the feet is also high when compared to competing scooters.

The dealership had both a used Silverwing and a Burgman in stock. We sat on the BMW, Silverwing and Burgman and found the BMW by far the most challenging followed by the Silverwing.

I thought the target market for the scooters were women and the older experienced rider who needed something easier to handle. I think the height of the scooters misses the target badly.

I hope BMW doesn't abandon the scooter market like they did the cruiser market when their initial product is not a big hit when the problem is the fault of design misjudgements.

BMW likes to list things as options, but in fact you don't really have an option. I don't know if a dealer can actually "order" a particular bike or not (built to a customers wishes). Maybe at one time, but not any more. If you are lucky they can get a particular color.

Last year when we bought our bikes the dealer said we could order the options we wanted, but when she placed the order she was told too many K1300s's were on the ground and they had stopped making the K1300S for a few months and we ended up getting two bikes from the warehouse in NJ.
So, if the line is producing your bike, you can order the options you want.
Now when a new model comes out like the K1600 or the scooter, I have the feeling everything coming off the line at first is loaded and you have to buy a fully loaded bike.

The scooter here in Canada had the heated seat, grips, tire pressure monitors and the alarm system for the initial order. I think they ordered them this way just to get them on the market. I think as time goes as, as Lee has said an individual will be able to order the scooter the way they want. The individual will have to wait until it gets built. But is the wait the worth it as the options are only $600 for the heated seat and grips and a couple of hundred for the alarm and you get to twist and go very soon, maybe in a few days versus months. The scooter here in Canada was sold out before it arrived here. The only thing I would not have gotten would have been the alarm system.

C 650 GT; going to do an oil change. This is a dry sump engine, so I am wondering if there is a second drain plug, maybe like the one on the K1600, or is there a separate oil tank, or is there just the one drain plug.
Thanks

I think as time goes as, as Lee has said an individual will be able to order the scooter the way they want. The individual will have to wait until it gets built. But is the wait the worth it as the options are only $600 for the heated seat and grips and a couple of hundred for the alarm and you get to twist and go very soon, maybe in a few days versus months.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. It's not getting the options you want as much as NOT getting the options you don't want. Wait a year or three and see if it's any easier to get a scooter into the US or Canada without the heated seats and grips. Won't happen. Maybe on the S but not the GT, they will all be Highlines.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. It's not getting the options you want as much as NOT getting the options you don't want. Wait a year or three and see if it's any easier to get a scooter into the US or Canada without the heated seats and grips. Won't happen. Maybe on the S but not the GT, they will all be Highlines.

In the States did they come with the alarm system?

Rear drive

As mentioned earlier I have 1000km or 600 miles on the scooter. Went out to wash the bike this morning and look at the rear drive. Oil is wicking out. I will be going to the dealer today to show them and see what they have to say. Warranty? This is in other locations throughout the seam. My 1958 bmw Isetta that has a chain rear drive in an oil bath does not wick oil that I restored 12 years ago.

Attachments

• IMG-20121116-00001.jpg
    IMG-20121116-00001.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 111
That I know of the US C-scooters don't have alarms. I wouldn't be too surprised if some do come in with the alarms, but so far have heard of none, but this is all pretty new stuff so we will see.

On the leak, it looks like a small seep, may even be residue from when the bike was assembled and looks worse due to dust collecting on it. So the reaction I would have it to wipe it down with sovent/degreaser and see if it comes back. But if it looks like this again after riding it then yeah you need a reseal.

Gilly

Last edited:
The more I read about the BMW Maxi scooter offerings and their "short comings", the happier i am i decided to buy my Burgman and let the bugs get worked out of the new BMW's.

I really like BMW stuff, but cringe at their first year attempts.
The company certainly has its skeletons in the closet , so to speak.

Oh crap Man am I stupid

A bad day on the scooter is still better than the best day at work (i wish). So today I go to Costco like I seem to do at least once a week, put my helmet under the seat where it belongs. I go into Costco do my shopping (bought 4 items) come back out to the scooter open the seat take the helmet out and put my items in. Put my helmet on "oh crap where are my keys" man am I stupid. Call road side assistance yes they will pick me up and take me to the nearest dealer, no good what will they do they do not have a key and my home is closer. They won't take me home as bmw would not cover that. Got lucky called a friend and by coincidence she was driving by. She picks me up and takes me home. Oh crap garage door opener is on my bike key ring. Oh crap key pad on garage door frame never gets used and the battery appears to be dead, I am locked out of the house. Man am I stupid. My friend takes me back to her house so I am not out in the cold. My friend takes me back to my house at 5pm at the time my girlfriend comes home. My scooter was at Costco for a total 4 hours. Man am I stupid.
I guess I have to laugh at myself because you are laughing at me (oh crap)
Lesson learned do not take key out of ignition when opening seat.

Back