• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

It's BMW Scooter Time!

On the mirrors, they list "Aspherical Mirrors" as a GT option, I am interested in these as onmy roadtest I never got the mirrors to where I really liked them either. But then there was the little accident I got in, so maybe I would have gotten them better adjusted.
But still interested in them, I did see them on various Euro cars back when I was wrenching, and they might help. I don't know if it's the whole mirror assembly or just the mirror part itself.

The seperate bulbs for high and low beam is a fairly common Euro practice, you just notice it more on the bikes with 2 lenses. On my K1200GT it was the one "main beam" and 2 high beam bulbs, just all looked more symmetrical the way they did it (see the picture below my name)

roger on the lights - thanks! Further inspection of rear v mirrors - would take a custom mount extension . . . BMW i would think will get a lot of feedback on this one. My prev post of gripes r not meant to malign the scoot - its is great in all other aspects: solid, powerful, agile for a maxi. I am even addicted to the handlebar and seat heaters in the balmy winter of the fl panhandle.

Maybe in a few months I can find out more about the mirrors, just not sure how much info they have on them but over the winter maybe they'll be up to speed. Might be better off that they were introduced now, in this area of the country anyways as I'm sure they don't have a lot else going on than learning about new products. If the price is reasonable I'll probably have them get the Aspherical mirrors for mine. As far as the distance of the mirrors away from the rider, it seems a lot like the K1200GT, yeah pretty far away, but they didn't seem to vibrate too much either.

PS am hoping the aspherical design would make it not neccesary to try to widen the mirror stems themselves.

Education

I was at the dealer about a week ago and he was telling me the guys (sales and service) are going out in January (when it slows down) to class for about a week to get educated on the scooter.

I installed a new accessory outlet today so it is more accessible when riding. If you go to the right or left you may get interference. From the brake lines. I wanted to install it down and near the seat and will install it when I find a location. All the spots I found so far there is no room so if anyone does find a good location let me know. You need about 2" in depth and about 1.25" in diameter.

The location is fairly well weather protected and will be good for a gps when I get a bike gps

Take note the outlet in the glove box is only rated for 4 amps so if you use 18 gauge wire with a 15 amp fuse you can go straight to the battery and then use this for heated clothing.

Attachments

• IMG-20121123-00006.jpg
    IMG-20121123-00006.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
So today I went to the dealer to pick up my coded lock barrel that I ordered 4 weeks ago for my top box I picked up about a month ago. I tried the key in it at the shop and the key appeared to be good as it went in good and all the little keys lined up.
I went home and went to install it in the top box (i had the key in the cylinder), good so far. Box opened and closed the release mechanism work. I thought all was well till I went to remove the key and it would not come out. I removed the cylinder from the top box and the key came out no problem. After looking at it I noticed that the little keys when the key was removed pushed outward more on one side than the other and then jammed in and not allowing the key removal. Back to the shop tomorrow they want to see the entire box with the key. They will of course want to send the coded cylinder back to Germany. That will not solve the problem as it is the keyway that is to shallow.

I am so lucky that it is November and I do not need the box today. I am lucky it is not May at the beginning of touring season.

Back to the shop tomorrow they want to see the entire box with the key. They will of course want to send the coded cylinder back to Germany. That will not solve the problem as it is the keyway that is to shallow.

Might not solve the problem for YOU, but will solve it for the rest of us when we get ours!

Gilly

They will of course want to send the coded cylinder back to Germany. That will not solve the problem as it is the keyway that is to shallow.

So I just got back from the dealer today and I showed them the lock cylinder and they agreed with me about the keyway being to shallow as to why the key jams in side or not able to put the key in. They are ordering a new one so it will be another 4 weeks. I would bet the cost of the scooter it still won't work. I will have to end up doing modifications myself as I told him what was wrong and what had to be done (they don't listen) I could fix it in 5 minutes with a dremel tool (i just don't yet as they will end up paying later).

Earlier I posted a picture of my rear drive with oil seepage. They are going to cover that under warranty but of course they do not have the gasket (it is on back order)

There answer to all is "it is so new"

Oil Change

600 mile oil change, Engine no problem, but the chain in the swing arm?
What type of oil and how much?

The following is a list of items on you 600mile (1000km) inspection. This is the same list for the 6000 mile (10000km)

BMW Motorrad *
Maintenance schedule
0133 - C 650 GT
00 00 119*BMW Running-in Check
Setting service-due date and countdown distance * *
Performing vehicle test with BMW Motorrad diagnostic system * *
Changing engine oil with filter * *
Checking front/rear brake-fluid level * *
Lubricating side stand * *
Checking basic setting and braking effect of parking brake * *
Checking play of throttle cable * *
Checking coolant level * *
Checking tyre pressures and tread depth * *
Checking steering-head bearing * *
Checking lights and signalling equipment * *
Function test, engine start suppression * *
Final inspection and check of roadworthiness * *
Performing vehicle test with BMW Motorrad diagnostic system * *
Confirming BMW Service in on-board documentation

The 600 mile check does not have the rear drive oil change on the list. I suspect that it will be on the 12000 mile list
As for the engine oil I called castrol and you can only get the oil needed from the BMW dealer. If you follow specs the oil was 15w50 sj ma2. The sj is important because it will not hurt your cataletic converter.

Jeff,

Thanks, doing the oil change to save a little time on the 600 mile visit to the dealer.

Just got back from the dealer as I took my scooter in yesterday for the 1000km (i actually have closer to 1200km) also. I changed the oil myself last week bought the oil and filter (not cheap) from the dealer. As for the 1000km from them because this is the first scooter for this service they have seen they spent 2 hours on it and billed me for 3/4 of an hour $68. My scooter was very dirty and they even washed it (not as good as I would have done) but it looked pretty good

I also told them not to set the service date/reminder as my scooter has not had this done so I will not see the service light come on.

On the way out of the dealer I noticed another scooter had the switch on it to turn the headlight off entirely. I would like to have had that switch and just run with the daytime running light.

In regards to the chain, I hope BMW does not consider this a sealed unit, as they did on the early R 1200.

In regards to the chain, I hope BMW does not consider this a sealed unit, as they did on the early R 1200.

You may notice that there is a drain plug on the bottom and a filler plug on the top. We will have to see what the Maintenance schedule calls for at 12000 miles

Small addition

A small addition I have added was what was supposed to be there is a place for the owners manual. I used a couple of wood screws. I have also added my owners anonymous to the bike literature. When doing this just make sure the screws you use do not have thread at the last 1/8 of an inch so you do not sure cut the o-ring. This just keeps things from flopping around.

Attachments

• IMG-20121129-00013.jpg
    IMG-20121129-00013.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 111
Stumble?

My 650GT has about 450 miles on it and a couple of times, it was bucking and surging under very light/part throttle under 10mph in traffic, and once, when departing the grocery store, after traveling no more than 20 feet and slowing to let someone by, as I gave it gas again to take off, it died spontaneously - no coughing or anything, and the instruments turned off, etc. as though I'd turned it off with the key. Anyone experience anything similar?

My 650GT has about 450 miles on it and a couple of times, it was bucking and surging under very light/part throttle under 10mph in traffic, and once, when departing the grocery store, after traveling no more than 20 feet and slowing to let someone by, as I gave it gas again to take off, it died spontaneously - no coughing or anything, and the instruments turned off, etc. as though I'd turned it off with the key. Anyone experience anything similar?

That is totally unacceptable, probably caused by not using approved BMW/German fuel .
Seriously that sucks !

Back