• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

It's BMW Scooter Time!

OOP's

The way i try and prevent this sort of thing ( have CRS ) is to always put the spare key in my jacket pocket when i go anywhere. But then I will eventually lock the jacket under the seat one day i am sure.:laugh

Might be a way to hide a spare key, or I wonder if a cable could be run with a loop on the end, and be someplace inconspicuous under the bike or maybe in the rear wheel area, which would be attached to the seat release latch? I imagine there is already a cable attached to it that runs to the ignition switch for releasing the seat latch, it didn't feel like it was electrical to me I think it's mechanical. Just in case this happens again.

Yes, under the rear left rubber pad, a small piece of plastic will also come off and you are looking at the dip stick, and some frame members that you can attach a key to.

I looked at the scooter today, specifically at the latch and yes it is a cable that runs up the right side of the scooter an it may be possible to run a second cable so you can use it as a pull cord and have it hidden. I was also thinking of hiding a second key in or around the steering head area (lots of space). I would still like to have a key at home in my safe. In Germany they have eight more keys for the scooter as they made ten for each and every scooter. When I got my Z3 I got 4 keys and from what I gathered 6 more in Germany. I only got 2 with the scooter as I would think you all got the same.
This happened to me and it is easy to do and I probably won't be the last. Could you imagine you are a thousand miles from home at a rally, oh crap. When you hide your key make sure it is secure you would not want to lose your key or lock it under the seat and go to get the spare and it not be where you left it.

I normal think of cycle thefts being of the "2 or 3 guys and a pickup", not really "rummaging around for a spare key or hotwiring".

How about one of those spare key holder boxes, and hiding it in a tricky location like in the glovebox that doesn't lock? Hiddin in the upper "ceiling" of that glovebox where it's not readily seen? Of make a tricky false floor for in there to hide it under?
"You are limited only by your imagination and the laws in your municipality"
-Red Green

Key

This key, would you think that the top end of this key would have metal going through and just covered with plastic or just plastic (what I have the zip tie pointing at). I do not want to try and bend or twist it. As if I am to hide the key I would want to make sure it is secure in its hiding spot and will not wear through plastic.
I think it is just plastic and can break or wear through. If I was to use it, I think I would zip tie the key to a frame member along with a zip tie through the hole in the key. Yes the more secure the better.

Attachments

• key.jpg
    key.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 171
Those zip ties are pretty tough, you sure if you need the key you will be able to get the zip tie broken?

Those zip ties are pretty tough, you sure if you need the key you will be able to get the zip tie broken?

If you are near civilization or camping there would be a good chance someone would have a pocket knife, scissors or something that would cut or break the ties. My idea is that at least you have a key to get home that would be accessible if you are away from home. I have never lost a key or locked one in the trunk until this time. If you leave the key just hanging or dangling I think there is to good a chance to have it wear through the top of the key and fall off.
I may be over thinking this issue.

That key is intended to be placed on a key ring where it is expected to dangle, or have the weight of all your other keys dangle from it. Tie it down and check for wear yearly. I suspect you will sell the bike before the keyhole wears out. If you are really worried about it, just duct tape it in place so it cannot move.

My bike came with an extra thin key that I keep in my wallet. If the scooter doesn't have a thin key, maybe you can get one cut.

My bike came with an extra thin key that I keep in my wallet. If the scooter doesn't have a thin key, maybe you can get one cut.

We have the coded keys that match the ignition/computer. My old bike also had a thin key. My Z3 has a key they call a wallet key but it is no thinner than the regular key. A key without the chip won't work. I tried to put a blank key into the ignition and I could not even put it in. It is almost as if a magnet opens the keyhole when you have the chip.

Last edited:
650 gt

rear view mirrors are nice looking but a little too far forward - need to be able to move them outboard a couple of inches to get my arms out of the view. Also i could get by occasionally wearing dress shoes on my prev maxi (say lunch run etc) - but not this baby! Heavier and a little higher center of gravity means good grip necessary on stopping. Horn sucks! One of 2 headlights out. Brake tension adjusted - now much easier with on brake twist settings. Installed lic plate photo defeater and radar detector! A reverse would of been nice but then again i coudda bought a 'real' motorcycle! Ave about 45 mpg. Hid my spare key nicely under front fork.

july 2013 - so i shimmed the r view mirror outward with a small ss bolt - it tilted out about 4 mm but it really helps!

Last edited:
rear view mirrors are nice looking but a little too far forward - need to be able to move them outboard a couple of inches to get my arms out of the view. Also i could get by occasionally wearing dress shoes on my prev maxi (say lunch run etc) - but not this baby! Heavier and a little higher center of gravity means good grip necessary on stopping. Horn sucks! One of 2 headlights out. Brake tension adjusted - now much easier with on brake twist settings. Installed lic plate photo defeater and radar detector! A reverse would of been nice but then again i couldda bought a 'real' motorcycle! Ave about 45 mpg. Hid my spare key nicely under front fork.

I agree about the mirrors (i thought about bar end mirrors) as I look at my elbows. As for the headlights one is for low beam and both are for high beam. As for economy I got 303km (188 miles) on a tank and still had 1 litre of gas left (about a quart) this is 62 miles a gallon Canadian although the computer and readout on the dash tell me something different.

Last edited:
Back