• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Didn't renew my AMA membership

Glendowery

This morning I decided not to renew my AMA membership.

My email (below) to the AMA explains my reasons.

Over the last several years, both the Democrats and Republicans have been working very hard to capture outside groups like the AMA. I find this objectionable.

Before anyone on this forum accuses me of bashing the Republican party, I would find it equally problematic if the AMA became a left wing front group for the Democrats ÔÇô instead of a right wing front group for the Republicans.

In my opinion ( albeit not a very humble one), my motorcycle association should represent me ÔÇô the rider, .....and not a political party or the manufacturers.

( And yes, I know the AMA takes lots of money from the manufacturers ÔÇô so maybe we need a new Association ÔÇô one that just represents the rider. )

I guess that is why the BMW MOA exists.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMA MEMBERSHIP ___ I have decided not to renew my membership with the AMA because it has become clear to me and many others that the AMA has become a ÔÇ£right wingÔÇØ front group. Although the AMA leadership will argue that the Association is non-partisan, the AMA positions, without exception, follow the Republican Party ÔÇ£play bookÔÇØ for organizations like the AMA. As a result, the AMA has taken positions to the detriment of its individual members.

While it is true that politics in this country have become overly divisive and have ÔÇ£split the country,ÔÇØ I would have hoped that my motorcycle association would advocate on behalf of individual riders (like me) and not on behalf of one party or the other.

Thank you

Here! Here!

I agree and feel its a shame we are a two party system.

I joined the Boy Scouts; got thrown out; something to do with marshmallows, feathers and the Scout Master's weaselly son :dunno; I never fully recovered....... :violin

OK,.........politics,...............OUT!

Lesse,...........next, is,......religion. Mmmm,.....touchy subject for many people

OH, OH, OH!! That leaves Sex! Yeah, yeah!

I always felt the AMA represented the chrome & noise and the dirt crowd better than the old farts with expensive German bikes crowd :whistle

I always felt the AMA represented the chrome & noise and the dirt crowd better than the old farts with expensive German bikes crowd :whistle

That is why I quit. Something about helmet laws and mufflers. I recently took a quiz and I'm apparently right of the Tea Party.

That is one of the many reasons that I do not join the AARP.

And why I dropped them. The AARP is simply a marketing operation. They endorse various products for a fee and their political positions are those that benefit the products that they are paid to endorse.

Years ago I was out walking a precinct for a candidate and in my monthly AMA magazine there was a voters guide, yup, an actual piece of paper, recommending who to vote for across the nation. On that list was my candidate's opponent. I wrote the AMA a scathing letter and cancelled my membership. I even received a letter back from the president of the AMA at the time but it was weasel words trying to claim the AMA had nothing to do with the voters guide. It was in their magazine, they are responsible. Period. I have never gone back and never will.

I see they haven't changed much. That does not surprise me. Their decades of mismanaging motorcycle racing in the US has done nothing to improve my opinon of them. More riders need to cancel their memberships and find something else. AMA is rotten to the core.

I'm laughing after reading this thread since the MOA is proposing to adopt some AMA recommendations according to the latest ON.

Back