• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Didn't renew my AMA membership

I'm laughing after reading this thread since the MOA is proposing to adopt some AMA recommendations according to the latest ON.

I can just see it......A group of ATGATT motorcyclists in a picket line demanding the end of helmet laws and noise limits. Perhaps they could burn a Rev-it jacket in effigy and do a ceremonial burial of the ashes in a new Schubert helmet that has been beaten with sledge hammers. Afterwards, all the event attendees can get matching tattoo's......

Years ago I was out walking a precinct for a candidate and in my monthly AMA magazine there was a voters guide, yup, an actual piece of paper, recommending who to vote for across the nation.

Don't get me going on voter guides. Well in fact in fact really can't say anything except I think people should be required to get informed on the candidates and topics, and not rely on what someone else recommends. I've probably said too much.

And, thanks for letting them know your stance. I think it's important. Most people would just cancel their membership and not say anything.

I'm a lifer, have been for some time. But I do agree the AMA is "less" than it was in the past..JMO. I do believe in their fight against helmet laws & such, as I do believe it should be my choice. I wear a helmet, always, some gear, some times...my choice. I like a quiet motorcycle, and I'm not a chrome guy. Again my choice.

Do we really want to stop that? If you're a protection gear person?..by all means wear it. But don't force [me] too. Do we really want to see the inflatable rubber suit / wear-able air bag become mandatory ?...as is being promoted in some European countries. Just as seat-belts, do I really need a seat-belt, to drive 15-20MPH three blocks to the grocery store & back?? Don't we have enough big Gov, in our lives already?

One point made, that I do agree with. The AMA has become {IMO} way too much 'paid for' by corporations & way to greedy with it's members. But then it's not really a "club" any longer it became a business...long time ago.

I'm laughing after reading this thread since the MOA is proposing to adopt some of ex-AMA president Ed Youngblood's recommendations according to the latest ON.

fixed.

Ed is also an MOA member... or at least has been in the past.

{Personal opinion} I think the AMA was a whole lot better under Mr. Youngblood !!

i'm going to leave my opinion out of this, but will observe that many opinion-leaders in the motorcyclist community were just as venomous toward the AMA and Ed himself during the whole Roger Edmondson/CCS litigation that led to Ed's resignation.

as a long-time member, it never ceases to amaze me how willing our community is to destroy itself.

as a marketing professional i am not able to identify the motivation for doing this. :dunno

ian

Interesting that a person can come on the forum and make one post, divulge nothing about himself and not respond to requests for clarification on his post; and, work folks up into quite a lather.

i think it's because the AMA is a conflict and controversy magnet, part because of its own actions and part because of the characteristics of its market.

I have to agree with Bmandiego. The AMA and the MOA or any other private organization should be politically neutral. That is one of the many reasons that I do not join the AARP.

LOL!
I have thrown away many solicitations from them. I do not like their politics. I wish they were more neutral on things, but they are clearly not. I'm not quite of age yet anyway, but still get the offers.

Do we really want to see the inflatable rubber suit / wear-able air bag become mandatory ?...as is being promoted in some European countries.

Is this on the level??
I may be nuts but it makes a lot of sense to me. If it could be done sensibly and comfortably I'd very seriously consider it, though I agree I wouldn't want it to be mandatory. Not rubber obviously, some sort of breathable fabric that would fit like overalls. It could probably be less bulky than my aerostitch and more effective in protecting against ground impact injuries. I'll bet the racers would go for it too.

Is this on the level??
I may be nuts but it makes a lot of sense to me. If it could be done sensibly and comfortably I'd very seriously consider it, though I agree I wouldn't want it to be mandatory. Not rubber obviously, some sort of breathable fabric that would fit like overalls. It could probably be less bulky than my aerostitch and more effective in protecting against ground impact injuries. I'll bet the racers would go for it too.

There is a lot of activity in this area...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mwFnnQ8pfy4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for posting that Visian. Shows you how up-to-date I am. That suit looks a little bulky but you know improvemts will come in time, along with lower prices.

I always felt the AMA represented the chrome & noise and the dirt crowd better than the old farts with expensive German bikes crowd :whistle

Strange, I always thought they represented the racing crowd, so I let my membership lapse.

Back