Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bright Lights Lose Rights?

Quote Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
    I'm running the same watt bulb in my R1100RS and also feel no need for additional lighting until I tip into a turn and watch the world go dark ahead of me. It is a bit interesting aiming for the apex that I'm pretty sure is still where I last remember seeing it. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do yet, but I will eventually add some lighting that works in a turn.
    Maglite held in your teeth
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Short of gimbaling a light there is no really satisfactory answer for providing distant light in a tight corner.

Most solutions start with a wide beam light- 40 degrees or more- aimed high enough to provide some coverage when the bike is leaned a lot. But that creates the situation where the light is in the face of other drivers when going straight- not ideal...

The option on the 6 cyl is about as good as anything else I know about. Don't expect I'll ever find the ideal answer for that high speed cloverleaf out in the boonies..

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    (eastern long island's north fork) to do much riding at night. you either hit them or they hit you.

got one of them deer whistles but i guess i put it on backwards. attracted them like ducks on a junebug.
    A really short distance hunting gun and some folks that would be careful about the hunting could be a solution. From what I've heard, in Germany you can sell the game to butcher shops and restaurants. For places like LI and CT that are over run with deer, that might be a creative solution.
    Last edited by 36654; 09-07-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
    I'm running the same watt bulb in my R1100RS and also feel no need for additional lighting until I tip into a turn and watch the world go dark ahead of me. It is a bit interesting aiming for the apex that I'm pretty sure is still where I last remember seeing it. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do yet, but I will eventually add some lighting that works in a turn.
    Easy. Pony up for a new K1600GT or GTL with the adaptive headlight. Problem solved.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Back in the late 60's I was living on the so side of Chicago and would enter gimmick rallies every weekend. Used aircraft landing lights for my high beams. Never had an issue with LEO's on that.

Today, I have a 07 GSA with a HID low beam, and Baja Design Soltek HID driving lamps. One is a pencil beam and one is a wide beam. Living in the desert so west, and working nights, you cannot have too much light due to the critters. We have a little of every thing from horses, burros, deer, coyote's, etc. Nice to see them first at 2 am going home.

Riding in the open roads of the west, good lighting is a must if you ride at night. In city applications, they are not needed and certianly not appereciated by your fellow road users.

Never bothered to look up the various laws that apply. If I remember correctly, in Calif, you cannot have more than 6 lights on at one time, and there is a height limit/requirement.

bob

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    (eastern long island's north fork) to do much riding at night. you either hit them or they hit you.

got one of them deer whistles but i guess i put it on backwards. attracted them like ducks on a junebug.
    You killed Bambi----I Hate You!

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

I'll avoid saying what I think about lights providing enough light to ride 100mph on the desert or fast in the woods with brights but I can say that here in E. KY mtns you don't have stopping distance even in the daytime for deer that pop up in/after a curve or come from the woods. We recently had a deer, same size as the pic shown here, that ran abruptly from roadside toward my PU truck in broad day light, then as I was well into ABS braking & had come to a stop, it leapt from a few feet short of my front bumper (actually seemed to have gone over the rt headlight) & over the bridge side to my right & down into the creek. It was an amazing leap & not a situ. that lighting had a thing to do with avoiding. I'll admit brights help but not a solution that gives one much liberty. We have roads in my area, that at night, you are nuts or have a death wish if you go fast because of deer presence. Many other states have the same situ..
    End of curmudgeonly , senior moment...

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Easy. Pony up for a new K1600GT or GTL with the adaptive headlight. Problem solved.

Harry
    That is an expensive lighting upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    You killed Bambi----I Hate You!

Jack

Bambi...... Yum !!!
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I'll avoid saying what I think about lights providing enough light to ride 100mph on the desert or fast in the woods with brights but I can say that here in E. KY mtns you don't have stopping distance even in the daytime for deer that pop up in/after a curve or come from the woods. We recently had a deer, same size as the pic shown here, that ran abruptly from roadside toward my PU truck in broad day light, then as I was well into ABS braking & had come to a stop, it leapt from a few feet short of my front bumper (actually seemed to have gone over the rt headlight) & over the bridge side to my right & down into the creek. It was an amazing leap & not a situ. that lighting had a thing to do with avoiding. I'll admit brights help but not a solution that gives one much liberty. We have roads in my area, that at night, you are nuts or have a death wish if you go fast because of deer presence. Many other states have the same situ..
    End of curmudgeonly , senior moment...
    You barely feel a jackrabbit when you hit it. They aren't even worth swerving for. But I dial it back in places where deer or bear are around. The desert isn't one of those places. The nearest anything to where I live is over an hour away, and there is literally nothing between here and there but open, uninhabited desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Themason View Post
    You barely feel a jackrabbit when you hit it. They aren't even worth swerving for. But I dial it back in places where deer or bear are around. The desert isn't one of those places. The nearest anything to where I live is over an hour away, and there is literally nothing between here and there but open, uninhabited desert.
    I "hunted " jackrabbits for years, so not much I don't know about them. The 10cents bounty kept me & my buds in .22 shells. I was thinking that deer lived on the desert & coyotes, not bears . Humans live/drive there some too, the times I've crossed which have been several. I'll give that if there's a public road to speed on the desert is it. beep beep...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
    What "rights" are at risk?
    Precisely.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by Themason View Post
    I would say how much lighting you use, or do not use, depends on traffic and how well lit the road is. At night on a desert road in the Great Basin where traffic is nearly non-existent, but wildlife is abundant, an array of aircraft landing lights might be sufficient, but you wouldn't dare run that kind of lighting on an LA freeway.
    There is no hard and fast rule that can replace judgement.

I will admit there have been occasions in LA traffic that I wanted a light so bright and intense, that were I to shine it in the rear window of the microcephalic cretin who just cut me off that the interior of his or her car would literally glow and the hair on their head start to smolder. You know, one of those times when even a 100 watt high beam doesn't make a strong enough statement. Something like the Night Sun light carried on many big city police helicopters would do.
    Night sun group buy?

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    Night sun group buy?
    Ah, you know how I feel.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    It's the 55watt HID lights that are the real problem. People who install them should be arrested for assault. These are the new ones, not the older 35 watt versions that are quite common and what I'd consider to be reasonable illumination.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)