• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Short (Funny) Video on Heart Attacks-Please Watch!

So sorry for your loss Olsensan. I posted the video hoping to prevent that in the future. I know I can totally relate to the person in the video and really need to head that advice.

I had one recently (a month ago, actually). No warning signs. Started my 26 mile bicycle trip, woke up later in the hospital. No memory of the bicycle trip, or of the day after. Short term memory returned the day after (I quit asking people why I was at the hospital every five minutes starting that day).

I'm 49, in fairly good health, the only stat that was off is that my good cholesterol was too low. Docs said exercise solves that. I replied "such as doing 26 mile bike rides?". Everything else was fine, BP, bad cholesterol levels, etc.

100% blockage in a minor artery triggered a genetic defect with the electrical center of the heart (ventricular fibrillation). They tell me I'm extremely lucky, ambulance arriving so quick, getting to the ER as fast as I did. Now I have a defib unit implanted in my chest for the rest of my life and no heart tissue damage.

Ironic thing is I had bronchitis in June and promised my GP that I would come back later for a full physical. That probably wouldn't have uncovered my blocked artery, but he may have found something (like the good cholesterol being too low).

Heart attacks, well, guess they can happen to anyone, regardless of BMI.
The fact that you were healthy, in good shape, and got an ambulance quickly probably was a significant contributor to your survival.

Rod

I remember when the founder of a runners magazine had his heart attack and the large number of my work associates who used that as an example of why they should not exercise.

I remember that as well, and I think you're referring to Jim Fixx, who wrote "The Complete Book of Running", and who died of a heart attack at 52, after a run. What was uncovered later (by Kenneth Cooper) was that Fixx was genetically predisposed to having a heart attack, having an enlarged heart, and earlier in his life he had been a heavy smoker, overweight, and was under stress from his job, and a divorce.

Thanks for posting, Holly. This just happened to a friend of mine, and I may send her the video.

More on trans fats

Don't take my word for it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/08/health/fda-trans-fats.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

"Partially hydrogenated oils are cheaper than saturated animal fats like butter, and for years were thought to be healthier. They are formed when liquid oil is treated with hydrogen gas and made solid. They became popular in fried and baked goods and in margarine. Crisco, originally marketed in the beginning of the 20th century, was the archetype, although it now contains no trans fat.

But over the years, scientific evidence has shown they are dangerous because they raise the levels of so-called bad cholesterol and can lower the levels of good cholesterol."

Harry

Back