• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Noise on start up

ind1mrg

I have a 1969 R60\US with 11,000 miles on it that will give a squeek\ squal from the engine when it is started. Not for long and just the first time. What might be going on?

Do you have any sense from where in the engine the noise is coming from? Front, back, top, bottom, right, left? How long has this been doing it? Does it happen all the time - in the summer, winter? Does it happen only on the first start of the day when the bike sits overnight or does it happen every time, even after a short gas stop?

About the only thing I can think of is engine breather at the front of the engine, or possibly something in that cavity.

Rear main seal???

Have you just recently had a rear main seal installed? Some of the new ones will squeak a little until they are broken in or warmed up.

What condition are your generator brushes in? At times and under certain conditions they will make a noise similar to squeak or rubbing noise.

The noise comes from the rear middle of the engine. I don't sart and ride this one often but the first time then it's fine from there on\day. Doesn't sound awful just something i don't want to get away from me. The bike has to be 100 % orignal seals and all with no leaks. Sounds a little more than a dry seal but am no expert.

How long does it sit between rides? Maybe a bit of moisture/rust at the clutch plate?

Clutch is not pulled when i start it and the noise only last 3-4 sec and it does sit for long periods between starts.

Wild guess but easy to check - see that the bolt in the center of the generator armature is firmly screwed in - if the armature were loose on the tapered crankshaft end it might squeal till it found its center

Back