• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to dissolve old glue from tank roundel(s) and knee pads

dmftoy1

Got the roundels and knee pads off but goof off and goo gone don't even seem to soften this black substance from hell. :). Any advice?? (74 R90/6)

I'd be careful with the chemicals. Try a steamy hot wet towel to soften it up. Then if it's still resistant, Varsol or some variation of mineral spirits. I've also found that a hair dryer works pretty well to soften up the glue.

I removed mine off the tank and cowl using a heat gun (like a super hot hair dryer) and a tiny screwdriver to pry.

Just don't use more heat than necessary.

If you need to dissolve a substance then the item involved needs more specific identification. You need to say if it is a painted roundel or a porcelain & what metal is involved & then others can avoid wild guesses as to what will safely dissolve the adhesive. Often times plain old carefully applied elbow grease works best.

Well the roundel adhesive is completely gone now with a little soaking, but I've found nothing to soften the remnants where the knee pads were. Good news is that the painter says he has solvents for it and is happy I've done as much as I have. (so I'm off the hook. :) )

Ronsonal lighter fluid should work well for the roundels. Try Naphtha also.

I am planning to remove the knee pads off of my K75. Please let us know what works for that.

Back