• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Build a GSA1200 hack;

Bob,
Would you be willing to share how you got your car shipped up to Alaska? I was debating whether to just drive down and pick it up or not...

I'm still trying to decide between adding a car to my airhead (more power and known reliability) or looking for a late model Ural (reverse and 2WD).

Thank you

Shipping to Alaska

Richard

I dealt with DMC in Washington state primarly Because it was one stop shopping. I was able to pick the car I wanted and they crated (excellant job) it and shipped it to Anchorage. I got a 72DX and the crate is to wide to fit in the back of a pickup.

Where are you planning on getting it from?

Give me a call I'll be glad to talk with you about it

907-841-7650

Bob

That must have been neat, seeing so many in a group passing by. Yep, I am finding out indeed, many exist around the planet and my travels too, have seen quite a few rigs at National BMW Ralies and elsewhere. Always one or two show up. DMC Jay proclaims he built about 500+ GS/GSA rigs alone, through the years. I am still quaking in my boots, wondering out loud, IF this is for me? I've been riding almost 50 years now and so very near my 1 million miles, next year probably hit that landmark event for me. Sidecars is one of the/MY last frontiers, as Alaska boasts. Sure would be COOL to have one and travel all about NAmerica in a different fashion. I'm jazzed about the idea, just must take that leap. Thanks for the data so far you've sent. I've been looking at it intensely. Your WIFE looks happy in that rig:). You said she was. Later, Randy:usa:thumb

Randy,
Get a copy of the "Yellow Book", officially titled Driving a Sidecar Rig by David Hough. Available from Jay at DMC or Whitehorse Gear. Lot's of info in it.
Also take a S/TEP class if there is one available in your area. It will give you a real idea of what to expect if you're considering a rig, and you'll be ahead of the curve when you decide. It will make that first ride a bit less scary.
Wife & I did 3000 miles, 24 days on the road going to the national ( 9 days cruising Arkansas). She's never ridden that much as pillion. She's ready to go again!

I'll second Bobmws recommendation on a training session.

I rode a r/60/2 with car for 10 years, then I was off for almost 15 years (back on solo bikes). My first ride on my current Ural was interesting to say the least. Counterteering is a sticky habit, and hack steering is just the opposite. It took me a bit to get used to the rig moving around under you, kinda like riding in the dirt.

Have a ball. Hack's are a hoot:dance

Hey Polarbear

Winter is settiling in on the frozen north, we got a little dusting of snow and so far still cruising around.
Thankfully to a heated jacket.

I was curious how everything was going with you, were you able to get together with Jay? :ear

GSA w/EZS

I've been wandering around this idea for years! Any GSA1200 owners with this convert around? I know of the Washington connect and builder there, even spoke to them quite a while back. Much to know, never owned a hack before. I have ridden a few, however and very novice at it. I understand the world changes dramatically, as a hack rider. Just about the whole m/c world is turned inside out, owning/riding one. I am just fascinated by'em however and would love to learn more from a GS/GSA kind a perpsective! I have the GSA1200 all paid up, owned by me and just have a fancy to learn more:). I am a very seasoned, long term BMW guy with over 900000m under my arse. I still have the adventure offroad spirit alive and well in me, so a tough hack is the agenda. Randy:thumb

Had Jay at DMC build this for me a couple of years ago (he uses my rig for his BMWMOA magazine ads). Nothing but compliments for everyone involved and the rig is priceless!
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 140
Thanks all:)

I have been absent from this post a while, sorry:(. Man, I love the sidecar phenom and all here have great input. No, I have not converted yet! My GSA1200 is still my favorite ride, still touring all about NAmerica. Broke my right kneecap a short while back and could not ride anything for a short restbit. Back now, much happiness. THIS sidecar thing EATS at me all the time, so I guess it must be in my future. I like the comraderie here in hack land. Ya'll seem to enjoy the life on 3 wheels. I find all my adventuring on dirt has me wishing for LESS falls from my GSA as I grow into my 60s:). I still love the adventurism thing and my hack would have to be worthy of dirt byways. Thanks for all the support and info posting here. Happy Trails, Randy"Polarbear"

Randy what in the world did you do ?

How does a person break his kneecap??
Here we are in March and I'm still riding. My hack has all season radials on the rear of the bike and car.

I just got through putting a Studded TKC on the front of the bike and it was like attaching it to a rail

My friend just came to visit me and just completed a winter ride from Whitehorse YT to Wasilla then up to Deadhorse Ak. and back to Wasilla.
Are you riding that GSA single track.

You can always keep knobbies on a sidecar and your bike won't lay down on you.
;)

Tardy, still riding:).

I still love sidecars and still ride my GSA1200. Nope, not converted yet, but stay in touch with Jay! Just back from Summer riding in Alaska on the GSA1200, all the way to Arctic Ocean and all of Alaska. 12000m rideabout everywhere North trip:). Left Salem Rally for all this, talked with Jay(DMC) at rally and a few times on phone since. I'm a slow mover on this sidecar project, but its eating at my heart. I've just about asked all I can and have most answers I need to buy my rig, get r done. I will ride into Washington, get r built when I do it. I'm not going to build my own, just don't have the want to do it. I do enjoy service'in my own bikes all my life and some hack wrench learning will come forth. I'm gonna set all my early learning at riding this thing, not building it. Seems about 11/12grand sets me up with about all the latest features available, including them spending three days building it, as I sit nearby:). My GSA just hit 109000m and it may be in for clutch work soon enough, although its still working perfectly fine. I probably should go get new clutch before hack added. Otherwise, I see no weak links on my GSA. My second (GSA)FD rebuild just happened also, post Alaska once home. I've learned to catch these FDs early enough, having had 4 of them built in my past/present BMWs. I do wonder how FDs hold up in sidecar life? I suspect no difference. All you ahead of me in this sidecar life, ride well, happy trails:). I'm leaning very hard at joining you. Randy

Randy,

Saw this bike at the Wisconsin Dells Rally though the pic wasn't taken there.

csm1.JPG

DMC did it and the owner was ecstatic about the whole build process. He couldn't stop talking about how enjoyable the build process was.

I have to say he got more folks looking at his rig than all the other bikes combined.

It was both hell for stout and elegant at the same time. Lots of thought went into the design and construction.

No idea on the cost but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

Back