• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Build a GSA1200 hack;

Polarbear

Polarbear
I've been wandering around this idea for years! Any GSA1200 owners with this convert around? I know of the Washington connect and builder there, even spoke to them quite a while back. Much to know, never owned a hack before. I have ridden a few, however and very novice at it. I understand the world changes dramatically, as a hack rider. Just about the whole m/c world is turned inside out, owning/riding one. I am just fascinated by'em however and would love to learn more from a GS/GSA kind a perpsective! I have the GSA1200 all paid up, owned by me and just have a fancy to learn more:). I am a very seasoned, long term BMW guy with over 900000m under my arse. I still have the adventure offroad spirit alive and well in me, so a tough hack is the agenda. Randy:thumb

Randy -- Over on ADVRider in the Hacks forum you'll find several examples of hacks based on the GSA: some Ural tubs, some DMCs, some by Claude Stanley, and my Hannigan which was heavily modified by Claude.

You'll also need a dog for ballast. :thumb

08bff74b.jpg

f46b1205.jpg

Pete (and Barley)

Last edited:
No dog required with an EZS or EML hack,but they do love to go. I don't know of a US importer of the EML and they do cost as much as your bike. Once you drive one you'll wonder why you ever owned others, i know I did.

1200GS Hack

Randy
Jump over to the ADV site and check out the Hack forums.
I wrote a short report with pictures. It's called springtime in Alaska

I installed the sidecar in May and have put on close to 3,000 miles so far with it quite a bit of it on dirt and gravel roads

Wife really enjoys riding now

Bob

Here's a few pictures I copied from the I-BMW.com gallery.
IMG0005-XL.jpg

IMG0013-L.jpg

IMG0014-X2.jpg

Last edited:
5-19-12-002-L.jpg

Lee
You have a great looking ride
Here is a picture of my rig in May this year at Hatcher Pass in Alaska

Bob

Last edited:
Wow:)

Some nice rigs:). I have tons of questions? Do ya'll check for mpg's and where is it and I would assume about 30mpg or so at best with GSA rig. Mine is a '07GSA, still on two wheels and I wondered HOW much I would suffer in the gas bills to run a hack? Did ya'll convert to 100% hack, no turning back for this bike. I understand some options pretty much make it a permanent hack, like front end and wheels,etc....I guess I would want a "great handler", vs the option to drop the sidecar for two wheels on occasion? I HAVE the DOG all ready to go, loves the bike even in its 2 wheel version. Aussie Healer. Do the bikes suffer in any way, regarding FDs and the like, pushing the extra rig round? FDs are already suspect in so many BMWs these days. I worry the bike is tough enough to handle the extra workout? IS IT? I don't want to break down every trip out and about NAmerica!. One more? How fast do ya'll run these, just touring about NAmerica? Not top speed, just whats comfy for speed and touring a GSA1200 Rig? THANKS for the great pics above and I look really forward to reading more. Randy:thumb

Ah, the mileage question! Expect it to suffer from the extra weight and sail area. The worst I ever got was 20mpg on a 500 mile stretch of slight uphill against a stiff wind doing 80mph. Best ever was a little bit better than 38mpg doing 60 on a long flat stretch of US 20 from Iowa to Ohio. On average, spirited mountain roads I get high 20s when pushing it. Okay, I admit to baiting cruisers on occasion, taking joy in pulling away on the twisties. On the slab (working man so I only get to take 2 weeks at a time; sometimes I slab just to put miles behind me and get to the destination more quickly) at 65-70 my average is 32.

I've cruised comfortably at 90 out west, where that seemed the be the speed du jour. That comes with a mileage penalty though, which is why I switched the hack from my 07 GS to the 2010 GSA with that wonderful extra fuel capacity. So far, in regular service, the only part that has taken a beating is the rear tire. Can't lean, so that small contact patch wears quickly. I was averaging 3500-4000 miles per tire till I converted to a car tire. I have 8000 miles on that tire (snow tire with softer rubber) and still have very good tread left. When the clutch wears out I'll switch to a sintered plate from Wunderlich.

BTW: I went with the Hannigan with the clamshell hatch because Barley is a gun dog. I was worried about him jumping out to chase down some critter, and in fact on our first season he lunged for a couple of rabbits and eyed a flying duck with murderous intent. I tethered him just in case, which turned out to be a wise move. This year he seems content to stay inside, so I didn't tether him on the trip to the rally and back. He did fine, and it was nice not having him get tangled in the lead. Others have dogs that behave in the open-sided Ural/CSM/DMC style. It's a matter of personal preference.

One caveat: aside from Urals there are no sidecar rigs that come as package deals. That means there are few standard answers to FAQs. There is more trial and error in the hacking community than in the two wheel community. So if you're the type that seeks definitive answers to specific questions, you'll need to get past that. :)

Thanks;

Bob in Alaska. Bet the riding season lenghtens with a rig in Alaska, icy roads and all. Three wheels would be nice. You may even run studs? I have no worries in Ca. with most of the year, BUT do travel extensively. Thanks for the contact #. I too, have heard the trials and errors of hack ownership is another world in itself and time in makes a better owner operator. I'm just an outsider still to this world and asking:). I figure my GSA to be a rather fine unit, enough power and generally great bike as is. Add a hack and I am a novice all over. I approach the century mark on its GSA odometer, with few issues, mostly great miles. Even with its 10g capacity in gas, I STILL carry an extra gallon when adventuring far from most population centers. The GSA is a pig on gas, even two wheels and power ON is a nightmare. Might as well hook up a garden hose to the fuel pump. Its much friendlier on gas at 55-60mph, as I guess most bikes are. Randy

Randy
It was good talking to you this afternoon, it's a shame we had a bad wireless connection.

I was at the Alaska State fair and we have three competing wireless companies, and between people talking to each other and venders doing credit card charges via I-Phone application well it didn't work we can try again a little later

I did a report on ADV.com on my install I'm going to attach the link it's 3 pages let me know if your able to get it

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775726

Bob

THX Bob;

I've been real busy and enjoyed the chat, even though you were at fair and cells are always less than adequate in my travels too. Never been the ADV site, but will get there and look see. I also talked with Jay at DMC, so we are chatting it up too, preliminary and all. My current GSA1200 seems the perfect fit for adding the sidecar, from what I see and read in my travels. I see more and more of'em and they must be getting more and more popular. Its a tough choice, converting and not knowing what to expect, riding two wheels all my life. My exposure to rigs is quite tiny and a leap of faith has to come to anyone wanting to go after this! Love the idea though and maybe my turn to jump is closer than ever. Once converted, the bike is a rig and no turnaround without much issues and wasted $$$. Thanks and I will keep you up on what I do, maybe late Fall/early Winter this year. Randy:usa

Got IT:)

Got the ADV link, nice stuff there. Snow, thats an understatement. We get it too(CA.), but its all way high above 7000' for the really deep stuff. Thanks for sharing. Randy:thumb

Randy
I'm glad you visited the ADV site, I was so impresed with the the dedicated hack site thet they have there. This forum doesn't seem to have the same type of interest. I've found that there are more hack riders world wide then you would ever imagine.

When we took our first distance trip we went over the Denali Highway, it's a short 135 mile dirt road. Travelers come from all over the world and do that road, the day we did it, we ran thru light rain, driving rain, sleet, snow, which turned the road into a complete mud slog.
I'm carefully picking my track because we were next to a 100 ft drop off.
A group of 7-10 Urals went by us going the other direction.

Two wheels are great but that third wheel will add a lot of fun.

Check out those hack drivers from Europe

Keep me in touch on your pilgramage

Bob

Wow,

That must have been neat, seeing so many in a group passing by. Yep, I am finding out indeed, many exist around the planet and my travels too, have seen quite a few rigs at National BMW Ralies and elsewhere. Always one or two show up. DMC Jay proclaims he built about 500+ GS/GSA rigs alone, through the years. I am still quaking in my boots, wondering out loud, IF this is for me? I've been riding almost 50 years now and so very near my 1 million miles, next year probably hit that landmark event for me. Sidecars is one of the/MY last frontiers, as Alaska boasts. Sure would be COOL to have one and travel all about NAmerica in a different fashion. I'm jazzed about the idea, just must take that leap. Thanks for the data so far you've sent. I've been looking at it intensely. Your WIFE looks happy in that rig:). You said she was. Later, Randy:usa:thumb

Randy
I'm glad you visited the ADV site, I was so impresed with the the dedicated hack site thet they have there. This forum doesn't seem to have the same type of interest. I've found that there are more hack riders world wide then you would ever imagine.

When we took our first distance trip we went over the Denali Highway, it's a short 135 mile dirt road. Travelers come from all over the world and do that road, the day we did it, we ran thru light rain, driving rain, sleet, snow, which turned the road into a complete mud slog.
I'm carefully picking my track because we were next to a 100 ft drop off.
A group of 7-10 Urals went by us going the other direction.

Two wheels are great but that third wheel will add a lot of fun.

Check out those hack drivers from Europe

Keep me in touch on your pilgramage

Bob

Please say "Hi" to Sarah Pallin for me. (an old pilot to the politicians)

Jack

Lots of US around:)

Pilots, that is:). Me too(flier) and my Daughter lived in Oro Valley, attending the UofAZ, Tucson. Graduated 3 years ago, she did and now flies a F18 Hornet(Oceana NAS) for the Navy. Sarah P. makes Bob's town, Wasilla home still I think. Bob was more than gracious sharing his rig stories with me/us and we also spoke directly via phone. Still waiting for Jay t DMC to come back from vacation to follow up with my GSA possible conversion. I WONDER how hard it will be to ride home, about 800miles+ for me and a new to me adventure in sidecar'in. Never rode one more than around a large parking lot. I guess I learn quick and pray much:). Randy:thumb

Back