Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BMW Scooter

Touring Rider

Count me in

I think a scooter forum is a great idea. I put a lot of miles on a Honda Silverwing (600cc) scooter, and it performed quite well in ALL conditions... touring, twisties, and general running around. It will out drag most Harley's (don't ask).

IMO, it is a full fleged motorcycle in all respects except in some people's minds. With the economy and fuel prices, they are comming, whether some like it or not. We might as well be ready.
    Gary
    Casa Grande, AZ
    2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by GSBruce View Post
    Scooters and not motorcycles and have no place in this forum or in the BMWMOA period. Just as Mini's are not BMW's and have no place in the BMWCCA, etc.

I'm sure the scooters will get prime coverage in BMW ON, though.
    Unlike your BMW/MINI analogy, the C650/600 are BMWs. We aren't suggesting we add a Husqvarna forum.

The days of Mods and Rockers, scooterists and bikers rumbling at the seaside are over. I think we can all get along now.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    The days of Mods and Rockers, scooterists and bikers rumbling at the seaside are over. I think we can all get along now.
    The he*# you say.

We are the mods.
    We are the mods.
    We are
    WE are
    We are the mods!

Scooters and not motorcycles and have no place in this forum or in the BMWMOA period. Just as Mini's are not BMW's and have no place in the BMWCCA, etc.

And for what reason are they not motorcycles?

600cc 0-60 in what 5.0 seconds, 100+ top end,luggage capacity,...sounds motorcycle[ly] too me.

And by your analogy since BMW bought the Mini name, their not Minis's ...then I guess since Audi bought Ducati. a Ducati is not a Ducati ? Is Ferrari just an overblown Fiat??

And, keep in mind the BMWMOA isn't the BMWMOA...just the MOA!

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    Unlike your BMW/MINI analogy, the C650/600 are BMWs. We aren't suggesting we add a Husqvarna forum.

Totally agree with the idea that C650/600 scoots are BMWs and can reasonably be included in the forum.

I have wondered for some time why Husqvarna is has not been received in a friendlier way around here. Husqvarna is a wholly owned portion of BMW Motorrad. It has been fully integrated into its financial reporting and production account totals. As part of the integration the G450 was migrated to the Red line. The Blue and Red lines of BMW Motorrad share more and more components and development; the Nuda 900 is a development of the F series twin for example.

It can be legitimately argued in either direction; however, as the lines become integrated it seems a bit odd to ignore a potential membership base and more bikes to talk about.

As always YMMV (Red Line or Blue Line purist)
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post

600cc 0-60 in what 5.0 seconds, 100+ top end,luggage capacity,...sounds motorcycle[ly] too me.

And by your analogy since BMW bought the Mini name, their not Minis's ...then I guess since Audi bought Ducati. a Ducati is not a Ducati ? Is Ferrari just an overblown Fiat??

I'm surprised you have not gotten the email on this yet. Ducati is not longer Ducati, rather Ducaudi. Pronunciation is pretty much the same though.

@ Mika,
    I have not called a late model Husky by other than "BMW". The "two" companies did a fine job of mixing/muddying their technologies, and majority shareholder is majority share holder. I find it strange when someone will say a specific product "IS brand X" and another "IS NOT brand X", like the whole HD/Vrod thing.....
    02' K12LT ~ 83K '97 F650GS ~ 32K' 81 XS400 ~ 9K
    MOA #184190 Club #231 48035

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    The he*# you say.

We are the mods.
    We are the mods.
    We are
    WE are
    We are the mods!
    It's just the rumbling by the seaside bit that's pass?®.

Quote Originally Posted by der verge View Post
    I have not called a late model Husky by other than "BMW". The "two" companies did a fine job of mixing/muddying their technologies, and majority shareholder is majority share holder. I find it strange when someone will say a specific product "IS brand X" and another "IS NOT brand X", like the whole HD/Vrod thing.....
    I spoke to the fellow at the Husqvarna tent at BMW Motorrad days last week. They had four bikes there; two were pre-merger models and two new releases that use BMW engineering such as the co-axial front sprocket and swingarm pivot like on the G450X. He was very enthusiastic about BMW's investment and commitment to the brand. It will be interesting to see if they can expand their offerings like they are on the BMW side.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Mini not a BMW? Really? Someone needs to get connected with reality.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    Totally agree with the idea that C650/600 scoots are BMWs and can reasonably be included in the forum.

I have wondered for some time why Husqvarna is has not been received in a friendlier way around here. Husqvarna is a wholly owned portion of BMW Motorrad. It has been fully integrated into its financial reporting and production account totals. As part of the integration the G450 was migrated to the Red line. The Blue and Red lines of BMW Motorrad share more and more components and development; the Nuda 900 is a development of the F series twin for example.

It can be legitimately argued in either direction; however, as the lines become integrated it seems a bit odd to ignore a potential membership base and more bikes to talk about.

As always YMMV (Red Line or Blue Line purist)
    These people had traumatic potty training. Now they fiercly clench their rectums over the most minor challenge to perceived orthodoxy.

Some of these airhead purists are in for a very rude surprise when their "real motorcycle" gets its doors blown off by a scooter. Wonder if mommy is still alive so they can run home and cry in her apron? Unclench you fools. Life is good.

Amateur Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 42906 View Post
    Mini not a BMW? Really? Someone needs to get connected with reality.
    i agree the new X1 shares the same platform as their Mountainman or whatever it's called... I think mini was just a great excuse for BMW to venture into Front Wheel Drive without pissing off their customer base.

Quote Originally Posted by R1200RClassic View Post
    i agree the new X1 shares the same platform as their Mountainman or whatever it's called... I think mini was just a great excuse for BMW to venture into Front Wheel Drive without pissing off their customer base.
    Personally I like the news Mini's I don't care who owns them. If i needed or wanted a car? it would be a contender. But I'm single , only need one vehicle, & not ready to give up my truck. And another four-wheeled vehicle sitting all / most , of the summer would be dumb. Hell I've only put 18000 & change on my truck since 2002 when I bought it. That's what 16-1700 p/year.

Quote Originally Posted by 42906 View Post
    Some of these airhead purists are in for a very rude surprise when their "real motorcycle" gets its doors blown off by a scooter. Wonder if mommy is still alive so they can run home and cry in her apron? Unclench you fools. Life is good.
    A friend of mine has a 650 Burgman, bought it while he was recovering from knee surgery . He says it's faster / quicker than his H/D , and not much slower than his Wing?

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    A friend of mine has a 650 Burgman, bought it while he was recovering from knee surgery . He says it's faster / quicker than his H/D , and not much slower than his Wing?
    My friend also has a 650 Burgman and he loves it. He has a R1200RT but he said he would sell everything he has and buy a Maxi-scooter if they had self canceling turn signals and cruise. His Burgman is faster than both of my "real" motorcycles.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Not only is the Mini a BMW, but the BMW Chairman who brought the Mini back to life is a relative of Sir Issac Issigonis.

Unclench you fools !