• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

top bags for Vario Cases?

Ntlost

Can someone advise me on any options ( other than the wunderlich's) as to waterproof small bags to sit on top of the Vario side cases. I find when we are out fro a while on the GS it would be nice to have a bit more storage. We are in Boise, ID. 08'R1200GS

Been there done that !

Ntlost
The vario side case mounting is basically some type of plastic composite. When I first got my GS in 09 I put the bike down at about 20 mph in mud over ice. Ripped off the left side vario case, the rear plastic hook type thingey was gone completely. Had to buy a new left bag (lot of money)

Get the new bag, while I was putting it on I notice that the mounting bracket was damaged also during the fall ([more money)

Jump ahead of my mistakes and invest in some real panniers.

I went with micatech, great mounting, strong boxes

Are you looking to bungee something to the top of the vario case? If so, try Ortlieb or Wolfman. I do not know of something that will attach itself or "fit" the vario case unless you bungee something on.

I have the vario bags and when I'm travelling on an extended trip, I will often use an Ortlieb for extra waterproof storage.

The wunderlich unit is a ortlieb bag

The vario has no provisions to attach anything to

The additional weight in the waterproof bags bouncing on the plastic brackets of the vario will only work for a while

This whole exercise with the vario bag cost me a lot of wasted money

Buy real panniers

The additional weight in the waterproof bags bouncing on the plastic brackets of the vario will only work for a while

Buy real panniers

I love my Vario Bags but the plastic latch on the top case broke doing single track and I lost the damn thing. New replacement has a metal latch and I have learned to leave the hard bags at home doing class five riding. A small soft bag for essentials only.

Jack

Buy real panniers

I'm sorry your experience was costly but your suggestion of buying new may not be an option for the OP. Depending on the type of riding you do, the Vario cases may or may not work well. I've modified mine and they are not way more durable and do the job. Buying new bags and hardware are not an option for many.

Also, Wunderlich has a very small selection of Ortlieb products on their website but there are other retailers and a wide variety of bags to choose from.

What was the cost of a new top case??

With more agressive riding you wouldn't want any cases on your bike, maybe a small backpack

Ntlost seemed to be looking for more storage while he was out touring.

The plastic brackets for the vario sidecases will not support additional weight.

Newstar

We're talking BMW's not KLR's with homemade brackets for Pelican boxes.

Although the pelican boxes would probably be stronger.

How did you modify the plastic mounting brackets ? ?

Back