• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Manwohr 36 Tour

Today I woke up to clear skies, 68˚ and no humidity. I wiped down Ol' Blue and packed her up. By 8am she was fired up and headed west. I eventually jumped on I-26 heading for Spartanburg, SC. The roads gradually evolved into fast sweepers with very little traffic. And all of a sudden I had this strange feeling. My hands were actually cold. After two of the most brutal, hot and humid days of riding, I was using my heated grips!

I couldn't wipe the grin off of my face. No sweating, no foggy face shield and glasses. At a few spots my ambient temp read 53˚, a 40˚+ temp difference.

Just outside of Spartanburg, I got on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is a 450 mile stretch of road that is the exact opposite of the roads in Florida, hardly a straight anywhere. And full of motorcycles. I imagine that for every mile you cover as the bird flies, you cover about 5 miles of road. The maximum speed limit for the entire parkway is only 45mph however; not so good for the sportbikes but perfect for a relaxing ride on the BMW. For the record, I never exceeded the 45mph speed limit. Okay maybe once or a thousand times.

And speaking of the BMW R 1200 RT, it has exceeded all of my expectations. It's surely fun enough on the twisties. It will loaf all day long at 80mph while getting 50 mpg. It's comfortable as hell and it carries a ton of crap. She never hesitates to fire right up every time, even after spending the night getting drenched in a rainstorm. I'm extremely happy with the bike. Yes, I would recommend it to a friend.

The Blue Ridge scenery is spectacular, so much so that I set a personal record for time in the saddle on one ride, 10 hours. With that said, I completed approximately 2/3's of the Blue Ridge today and I plan on riding the rest of it tomorrow.

Ended the day in Roanoke, Virginia. Had a little feast and need a little rest. It's so hard to condense everything I'm experiencing in a just few paragraphs.

Last edited:
Keep going, I'm with ya! Write a little or a lot, no matter, I'll be reading each entry. And when I ride my bike home from work, I'll imagine I'm riding cross country, even though it's only 12 miles - sometimes I take the long way home (30mi).:bolt

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R

Another great ride today. Almost all of it was in Virginia finishing up the Blue Ridge Parkway and then seamlessly entering Skyline Drive. Now if you might have been a bit leery of the Blue Ridge Parkway with a 45mph max limit, the Skyline is 35mph max...and $10 to enter. It's only 105 miles long so with a few 25mph sections, it does eat up some time. Let me just say that at school zone speeds, both of these roads are a must ride. It turns into a social happening with other bikers gathered at the hundreds of overlooks, talking shop, shootin' the **** and taking in all of the magnificent scenery. If you're a sportbike guy who wants to thrash these are not the roads for you. A few things that the Skyline has that the Blue Ridge doesn't is gas, places to eat and have a beer. Really cool places at that. Another thing that both these roads have in common is they are clean. No trash at all on the roadside. In all those miles, I literally did not see one piece of garbage that wasn't in the trash cans. A big fist pump to keeping it clean.

So all of this "park" riding took about 8 hours, covering about 250 miles. A good deal of time was spent at the amazing overlooks, hanging out with some great people.

And after a stop and a chat with some of my fellow motorcycle enthusiasts, I came to a realization. Not to sound political, really quite the opposite, that no matter who is president of our country, that man or women is not gonna do a damn thing to make a better life for us all. It starts from the common everyday interaction between all of us. Pay it forward. I have come away from conversations where nothing particularly profound was uttered, but it was that I left with a good feeling from the exchange of a few words. And I would take that and pass the good stuff on to the next guy, and so on. Make somebody feel good and things will almost always turn out for the best.

Okay, enough of the "Johnny Appleseed" moment. After leaving the confines of the National Park system, I got on 522. It's a mostly two lane road that took me from Virginia through West Virginia, Maryland (for about 2.5 miles) and into Pennsylvania in about the time it took me to type it. Look at it on a map. It's hilarious! Other than the "Four Corners", it's got to be the easiest way to gather up four states in the shortest amount of time.

Which brings me to my hotel in Breezewood, PA. A major truck stop destination and engine braking is NOT prohibited.

Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania = 8 states so far.

Onward to NJ, NY and into New England.

Today my route took me from central Pennsylvania into northern NJ. Beautiful weather and I'm wondering how long it will last. No point dwelling on it, I'll take it as it comes. Met up with my cousin who I haven't seen in some 40 years. He is my dad's brother's son. In catching up, it was remarkable how our interests and the events of our lives were so similar.

So far I've clocked approximately 1900 miles, averaging 49 mpg and burned 3/4 qt. of oil. I stretched her legs out a bit on the highway this afternoon and she definitely is comfortable running fast.

Attachments

• IMG_3935.jpg
    IMG_3935.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 138
Made it to my cousin's place in northern NJ. He is my father's brother's son; my dad's only sibling. My uncle passed away 3 months before my dad. We sat and chatted and then went out for a fantastic Italian dinner. Through my cousin, I learned so much about my father that I didn't know. I won't go into details but some of the stuff was pretty crazy. We went back to his house and uncorked a bottle of Oculus wine. Very nice.

The following morning, I had to head to the Canon camera repair facility to pick up my repaired lens; about a 60 mile trip. I couldn't have predicted the type of ride that was about to unfold. The streets and highways in NJ are crazy all over the place...or maybe it was my route. Not possessing a toll pass, I was forced to pay cash for tolls. And NJ has a lot of toll roads. One instance occurred while trying to get on the Jersey Pike heading south. The cash toll lane was on the far left end of the booth. After paying my toll, as I looked up, the northbound entrance was right in front of me; the southbound entrance was 5 lanes to the right. Now I guess I could've gone north for a spell and eventually turned around at some point but something came over me. If anybody out there has ever surfed a wave and you are desperately trying to stay ahead of the barrel you will understand the feeling. I downshifted Ol' Blue, pulled her hard right and basically surfed the semi trucks heading northbound to make the southbound entrance. Some may say it was a crazy thing to do but it was a beautiful move that got me a thumbs up and a sadistic grin from the guy driving the Carrera.

On the return trip north, I got in touch with some friends that live in Montauk and they said to come on out. This was a "why not" moment. Since my dad was born in Manhattan, I decided to go through the city to get to the Long Island Expressway. I've been through the Lincoln Tunnel probably a thousand times, but never on a bike. With nobody in front of me, I let 'er rip and got a huge rush hauling a** through the tunnel. Very cool. For the record, no i didn't. Crossing the city however turned out to be a big mistake. I mean, what is New York City, 2 miles wide? It ended up taking 90 minutes to get to the Midtown Tunnel. Leaving Manhattan, I was sure my side bags were peppered with yellow taxi paint. A few posts ago, I wrote about spreading the "feel good" stuff. Forget it. In New York City, you have to be out for one thing; yourself. It's you alone in a sea of cars, buses, cabs and pedestrians who are in the same mindset. Kill or be killed. My MV Brutale would've been my first choice, over the Beemer, for those 90 minutes. Hell, the MV would be a blast in the city.

The sun, to my back, was getting low in the sky, laying beautiful light on everything in front of me. The temperature dropped ten degrees from NYC to a comfortable 73˚ for the remainder of the ride. I drove past lot's of the pretty people in the Hamptons and more than a few had a look of envy as I passed by on the loaded down RT. For that moment, I was the richest guy in town.

As I got closer to the point, traffic started to disappear and then there I was, staring out at the Atlantic with Block Island, CT and RI in the distance. I walked down to the beach and gathered some sand. I'll do it again when I first hit the Pacific, God willing.

Attachments

• _99A1049.jpg
    _99A1049.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Montauk Point Lighthouse commissioned by President George Washington

Attachments

• _99A1128.jpg
    _99A1128.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 151
This morning I had a nice Montauk breakfast and headed to visit more friends in Hastings on Hudson, NY. The ride was virtually uneventful (a good thing!) except for a couple of traffic delays. I crept in traffic along side a guy and girl on a new BMW 1600. Although it's beautiful, I like Ol' Blue's boxer.

So far, I've done 2375 miles on the trip. Talk about taking the long way around to NY. I realize it ain't Ewan and Charlie....just me.

Attachments

• _99A1171.jpg
    _99A1171.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 152
Tomorrow, heading to the BMW dealership in Maine for the 6000 mile service and a new rear tire. The route I plan to take will run through NY, western CT and MA then across NH, VT and into Maine. It should be a full day.

By the way, the weather I've been touring in has been better than anyone could wish for; blue skies, 65˚- 75˚ most of the time. Bright sunshine, no rain. I'm taking it while it's good 'cuz I know it could all turn on a dime. Whatever lies ahead, I've got to believe that someone is watching over me.

I miss my family so much that physically, it hurts.:(

You are carrying the spirit of your father with you so there is no wonder why the weather is great and you will be home soon enough to the family. Travel well.

Nice job documenting and sharing your ride, your family misses You too ! God Bless

I can't thank my friends enough that took me in, fed me and shared their words of encouragement. It was great looking over the map with my buddy Gerard and having a few beers. The biggest compliment was that he repeatedly kept saying, "I should be going with you."

Riding up from Hastings on Hudson, on the west side of the Hudson (9W), was some of the most treacherous roads I've ever ridden on in my life. Rocky, vertical drops of probably 1000 feet or more and low guardrails. Not a place to carve.

Heading more north, I shot diagonally, on 44, across northwest CT then picked up 7 north into MA and then southern VT. There I picked up 9 East which connected with 202 through NH and into ME.

The ride was nice, meandering in towns that were founded in the mid to late 1700's. I had a reality check when I approached what had to have been a fatal accident; two cars that appeared to have had a high speed broadside or head on collision. As I passed by the wreckage, I counted eight "jaws of life" tools scattered around the two cars. The reality check came when I was rubber-necking and almost ran over a police officer directing traffic past the scene. Hey stupid, KEEP YOUR EYES THE ROAD.

2770 miles traveled thus far and, except for another ten miles north to get the BMW serviced, the south to north portion of the trip is done. Today, I point Ol' Blue west and head to the Pacific.

Attachments

• _99A1209.jpg
    _99A1209.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 132
Baby's got a new pair of shoes; Metzlers installed front and rear for the next 6000 or so miles. Ol' Blue had her service and is good to go for throttle up to the west.

I sat down with a guy, Roger, at the BMW dealership and he turned me on to some great roads through western Maine, central New Hampshire and Vermont. Roads so fine that I didn't want them to end so I saved some for tomorrow before heading into Canada. The guys in Maine gravitate to Vermont. It's their motorcycling mecca.

I found myself attacking these Vermont roads. Long sweepers, tight switchbacks, no traffic, no police and great, great weather. With the Beemer loaded to the gills with luggage, I was still able to drag the pegs and keep pace with the sport bike guys. Small children near the tight curves couldn't figure out why sparks were flying from my bike. Merely the pegs scraping from a BMW R 1200 RT at full lean my child.

By the way, did I mention Vermont?

It's all that, roadwise, and absolutely beautiful to boot.

This is the first time on the trip where I am jazzed to hit the roads tomorrow.

Did I mention no cops?

I mean the Blue Ridge was super nice, but leisurely. You can't help but attack the roads here. Fun, fun, fun.

Did I mention no traffic?

The folks here know the proper way to drive these roads. The gang of hooligans on the Ducati Hypermotards have got nothing on a particular housewife in a Jeep Wrangler. I did all I could to stay with her. Granted, she knows the roads but I had to believe that she was having a good time returning from the grocery store. She gets it. "Honey, just gonna run up to the market for some milk. Need anything?" Thrash!

This was also the first day that I felt no "monkey butt". Granted, me and Ol' Blue only clocked about 240 miles or so but I was moving on the seat, shifting from side to side.

Like Roger said, "I could spend the rest of my days just riding in Vermont."

Attachments

• IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Back