• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rocky Mtn Natl Park & Durango Train

David13

This month (September) I'm going to ride thru' Rocky Mtn park and then down to Durango to ride the train to Silverton and back.
Is there anyone in those areas that might come out for a ride or a cup of coffee.
I'll be in Georgetown the nights of the 24th and 25th. And Durango the nights of the 26th and 27th. Then over to Torrey for 2 nights.
dc

Don't Miss . . .

Orvis Hot Springs in Ridgway, CO. The road north from Durango is dead straight and really, really ugly scenery, but you can just ignore that. . .

Seriously, one of the best hot springs around. All you need is your birthday suit and sunscreen.

Torrey, UT and Highway 12 are both treasures for riders. Torrey is very small, but is also perfectly attuned to riders -- excellent campground, and several fine motels and restaurants. VERY few Smokies in this part of Utah.

Hey, TRY to have some fun, eh?

Walking Eagle

Thanks Eag
Last September I was over there, on the road north of Durango. Coming south from Ouray, I got behind a huge slow truck, with a bunch of cars and fast trucks behind me.
And the truck in front just going slower and slower, as he went up the hill. I almost ended up stalling, and his trailer was taking up 1 1/2 lanes as he wound his way up the hill. Finally, I just passed, and luck of the Irish or whatever, no one was coming.
I didn't see a car or truck behind me at all, all the rest of the way to Durango.
I hope to see a few other riders in Torrey.
dc

When in Durango,go to Carvers for coffee,bakery or beer. What a great place. I hope it's still open,with this economy.

Oscar's in Durango is a great breakfast place. :thumb

The DSRR is a neat ride, and hopefully in September it won't be as hot as it was for us in late June. I would choose to sit on the right side of the train heading to Silverton and the left side coming back to Durango, for the best views.

when are you going to be in the RMNP area? what route are you planning on taking in getting there, and in going from the Park to Durango?

Brother and I were in Durango 2 weeks ago for Railfest. We took the bus up to Silverton and rode Galloping Goose #5 back to Durango. A great ride, with many photo stops. 6.5 hr ride.

Have riden the train numberous times and would suggest riding it one way and take the bus the other. All can be arraged in one phone call.

Parking is always difficult in town, so they now have a parking lot just west of the Durango station for $7.00 a day. The nice attendent let our 2 bikes in for the price of one. Or, you can stay in Silverton, ride the train to Durango, and return via bus. I think next time that is what we will do. It provides you with more time to walk around town, and you can do some exploring up in mountians also.

If you are camping, United Campground is about 4 miles north and is very nice. Trolly pickup is right in front and will take you into town and return. Free.

bob

I'm staying in Durango so I should be able to walk to the train station.
I saw the part bus idea, and I am riding the train both ways.
I done rode enough buses previous like, so I want steam train. So this should be an all steam train ride for me. That was the idea.
Why do you say ride the bus? I have rode the motorcycle on that road before, and I can't understand why I would ride the bus.
I suppose also it is like a tour bus, and I just have never felt good on tour buses.
dc

For our most recent trip, the Goose started in Silverton at 9 am, so we elected to ride the bus up from Durango that morning. Having gone both up and back via train a number of times, while I still enjoy the trip, going one way and taking the bus back has become more enjoyable. Get back early to miss the crowds, and only view the ride one way. Going from Durango to Silverton to me is the best route. Sitting on the right side of the train or on the closest bench to the right in the open cars is the way to see the route.

Riding the Goose down from Silverton, we made a number of photo stops that you do not get with the regular train ride. I would do it again in a heartbeat. If you attend railfest next year, they usually have a wood burning steam engine (the Eureka) available for rides that is a pretty neat ride also.

Have fun.

bob

I done rode enough buses previous like, so I want steam train. So this should be an all steam train ride for me. That was the idea.
Why do you say ride the bus? I have rode the motorcycle on that road before, and I can't understand why I would ride the bus.
I suppose also it is like a tour bus, and I just have never felt good on tour buses.
dc
Nice Tex-Mex rest near the RR station. Take the train and backpack into the wilderness -the train will let you off there & pick you up too. It's a WOW! area! Also a neat backcountry route for off roading from the $7 mil hwy outside Ouray, a way to Silverton through some nice country on dirt. Is dirt bike, jeep or walk route.

dc

umm, because if you ride your bike up, and take the train back, you don't have to find a way to retrieve your bike? (unless of course the train is a loop ride, in which case- i have no clue either. in general, buses are utilitarian vehicles. and they suck.)

Fish
I did just confirm what I thought, i.e., the ticket I have is round trip. Hopefully, that means I go up on the train, and come back on the train.
Otherwise I would have a wacky bike location problem. Which I like to avoid like the plague.
If I can.
I thought I could by getting round trip.
Ergo, I hope to ride back on the train.
Now, it is not unusual that these short lines have no round table. And thus back up all the way there or back.
From Los Angeles to San Diego they do that.
I hope not in Durango.
dc

RT on the train is fine. All in one day. Provides you enough time in Sliverton to grab a lunch. Many places to choose from. The return gets you back in Durango around 5-5:30 or so. A short walk to the Slater hotel and grab a beer. Sit at a table by the window and enjoy people watching.

We would grab dinner at the Ore house, but they are going too upscale for our tastes. Food is good, but... Will have to sleuth out anonther dinner place next time.

Have fun. Be prepared for some cool and/or wet weather.

bob

Yes Bob
I think I may go with the Ore house, to get a steak. The prices are upscale, whether the quality is or not.
Maybe I'll find out.
I'm always prepared for rain, or snow.
Tho' last year, going all thru' the same area, not one drop of rain for 4 days. Nothing but pure blue skies.
I got lucky.
dc

The train both ways makes a fairly long day which is why some folks opt for the bus one way. You do not say where in Durango you are staying, but take time to stop in the Diamond Belle in the Historic Strater Hotel for a cold one.

I have a full day for the train. And the weather should (predictions) be ok.
Today I rode thru' Rocky Mtn Natl Park. I have changed it's name to Rainy Mountain Natl Park, as that's all it was.
And then snow and ice at 34 degrees on Berthoud Pass.
Not a real fun day, but, as we all know, a man's gotta do what he's gotta do.
Next time I can hold out for another time and better weather, but the first time, well ...
dc

Well I'm back in Los Angeles now. I must say riding the train back to Durango was the way to go.
It did make for a full day, but the trip was definitely worth it. I think we got back at 6:30.
But that was the idea, a train ride, not a bus ride.
I do wish I would have packed my heated gloves and the controller for my heated vest. The vest was somewhat useless without the controller. And it was the hands that got super cold.
dc

My girlfriend and I are trailering our RT to Fort Collins for a couple of days of riding, then onto Dolores, Colorado, to drop off my Norton Commando at Colorado Norton Works. We then plan on riding the Durango, Silverton area. Any additional advice on hotels, dining, riding, etc. would be appreciated.

As of now we are planning two days or so in the Ft. Collins area, load the bike backup on on the trailer, drive to Dolores, and then spend another couple of days in the Durango area. Open to all suggestions. We like staying in nicer hotels and eating at nicer restaurants, as long as it's a good value. We are planning on taking the train ride in Durango and riding the RMNP. That's the extent of our plans at this point.

We are thinking the best month to go would be August. Any comments?

Thanks much,

Chris

August is good, as is July.
toss me a pn when you're getting close to heading out- if i'm around, i'd be happy to take you on some of the local roads.
or, if you prefer no company, get Steve Farson's book. hell, get Steve's book regardless.

Back