• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Problems with 03 K1200GT 78,000 mi

ande2078

Started hearing a noise at low speed. squeak groan intermediate, loud enough to hear through helmet. Pulled rear end oil good no metal parts on magnet, no side play in bearings, gear backlash seems good. no problems with drive shaft, I'm not really hard on bike at all. Did replace both rear swing arm bearings they were a little rough. reassembled thinking maybe bearing noise from swing arm being amplified through hollow swing arm. Noise still there. Noise quits when pulling in clutch and coasting. seems really loud when engine not really pulling but when engine between power on and power off, drained transmission oil no metal parts but the usual metal silver sludge. I'm thinking maybe it is the coupling on the input shaft that is spring loaded that takes up engine surges in transmission. Clutch wear normal nothing loose. Waiting on tool to pull transmission cases apart. I'm a very competent mechanic work for Catarpillar as field tech. Noise has me baffled because it is not normal noise. And it has just started. There does seem to be a lot of backlash in rear wheel. but it is not in rear end gear assembly. I know transmission gears have engagement dogs between gears but this seems extreme that is why I'm thinking it is the coupling in transmission. Would really appreciate any comments. really want to keep the bike it has been mine since new and I don't really want to upgrade. Thanks

update on transmisson noise

finally got tooling together and pulled transmission cases apart. source of noise was from rear bearing on intermediate shaft failing causing the shaft to cock and the gear was rubbing on bearing outer race. Damage is minimal due to catching it in time. Will replace bearings and get back on road again. this season

Holy crap! I hope that's an odd rarity and not a normal problem for a K1200 of that vintage. Anyone else here have this happen to their K1200?

finally got tooling together and pulled transmission cases apart. source of noise was from rear bearing on intermediate shaft failing causing the shaft to cock and the gear was rubbing on bearing outer race. Damage is minimal due to catching it in time. Will replace bearings and get back on road again. this season

Back