• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New R1200GS to be revealed 2 Oct 2012

Reverse

From the BMW press release

BMW Motorrad press conference at INTERMOT 2012. Announcement of BMW R 1200 GS successor model world premiere.

Munich. Several new BMW Motorrad products will see their trade fair premiere at this year's INTERMOT in Cologne from October 3rd - 7th 2012, including the new BMW F 700 GS and the new BMW HP4.

BMW Motorrad will also be presenting a world premiere:

the successor model to the BMW R 1200 GS

The "BMW GS" concept has embodied riding pleasure and the desire for adventure for over 30 years. The unique integrated concept of the big travel enduro bike with boxer engine, complete with its authentic charm and a powerful, high-torque engine, is loved by legions of motorcycle fans all over the world. BMW now begins a whole new chapter in GS history: the most popular travel enduro in the world has been brought to perfection.

We therefore cordially invite all press representatives who will be attending the INTERMOT press day to come to the BMW Motorrad press conference.

on Tuesday October 2nd 2012
from 10 am to 11 am
at the BMW Motorrad stand in Hall 6

BMW Detroit already has a brand new F700GS and F800GS(The olive green one) in the showroom. Very nice.

What exactly is the attraction of the F700? I mean, what does it do better than the F800? Or is it simply a cut rate F800? I haven't figured this out yet.

The f700 is significantly lower than the f800gs. If you are short, or want to do something like put a russell seat on it, this could be an issue. Also, the availability of traction control is a big improvement on the existing f650. Aren't the wheels also different? 19" in the front instead of 20"? This probably gives it better handling in some cases, and not in others..

What exactly is the attraction of the F700? I mean, what does it do better than the F800? Or is it simply a cut rate F800? I haven't figured this out yet.

It fits a lot of people and it is designed for mostly on road . It will do nicely on secondary roads,farm roads, ranch roads and such. Although in the right hands and with spoked wheels it would probably handle rougher stuff.

BMW now begins a whole new chapter in GS history: the most popular travel enduro in the world has been brought to perfection.

Is BMW telling me the 2012 GSA I just bought a month ago is less than perfect? They must have put a decent seat on it. Like I did right after buying it.

The numbers - either 650 or 700 - are stupid for an 800cc motorcycle. But the basic approach is no different than BMW used for years on 650 1100, 1150, and 1200 cc models.

The "800" is the more burly GS Adventure or Dakar model, and the 650 or 700 (800 really) is the GS. But when it came to the names the intern was in charge that day and we got the names we got.

I don't know what changes were made between the "650" and the "700". But I do know two people who bought both a 650 twin and 800 twin and they both like the power and torque curves of the 650 better. And the 650 has tubeless tires while the 800 uses tubes.

Is BMW telling me the 2012 GSA I just bought a month ago is less than perfect? They must have put a decent seat on it. Like I did right after buying it.

You now own an obsolete POS worth 1/4 what you paid for it :stick

Or maybe we Camhead owners have an instant collectable as the last non-water cooled boxer. :thumb

new bmw model? first year of production?

hmmm...bmw probably worked out any problems before going to market...

lemme look at the k1600 forum.

yeah, right.

yeah, right.

Sometimes you just need to be brave. My K75 which died in a crash at 370,000 miles was a first year model. And Voni's R1100RS which now has just over 360,000 miles was a first year model. And both of our F650 Funduro bikes were first year models.

None of these were particularly troublesome. The '94 R1100 and 86 K75 were/are both exemplary bikes.

...probably worked out any problems...f14rio

I suspect there won't be that many teething problems with the GS. Much of the mature hardware will carry over to it. The engine will be built to tighter tolerances, just like any liquid cooled engine. And BMW has already taken the engine components to 132 hp in the HP2 Sport.

It won't be a clean sheet design like the 1600.

I would buy one if I wanted a boxer with a quieter top end, and with more power (which I don't).

But lots of guys will buy them just because they're different, and because they can. :)

I suspect there won't be that many teething problems with the GS. Much of the mature hardware will carry over to it. The engine will be built to tighter tolerances, just like any liquid cooled engine. And BMW has already taken the engine components to 132 hp in the HP2 Sport.

It won't be a clean sheet design like the 1600.

I would buy one if I wanted a boxer with a quieter top end, and with more power (which I don't).

But lots of guys will buy them just because they're different, and because they can. :)

only here's the rub... the HP2 Sport has more in common with the latest Camheads than anything on that new GS... moreover, the entire drivetrain is new.. the drive is on the other side for the first time in decades.. this is a totally new engine, with no carry over from the Camheads, which are nothing more then evolutions of the Hexheads, Oilheads, and airheads, etc..

yeah, right.

Hey now. My finest year K100 had absolutely no problems what so ever. It had but a "few" character building "unconventional" options that I had grown to love. :thumb

I did weigh the decision to buy a probably "last year" model versus a first year model. I like cutting edge stuff but decided to go with the the known version. I hope the new one is a success. I'm okay for the foreseeable future though.

The numbers - either 650 or 700 - are stupid for an 800cc motorcycle. But the basic approach is no different than BMW used for years on 650 1100, 1150, and 1200 cc models.

The "800" is the more burly GS Adventure or Dakar model, and the 650 or 700 (800 really) is the GS. But when it came to the names the intern was in charge that day and we got the names we got.

I don't know what changes were made between the "650" and the "700". But I do know two people who bought both a 650 twin and 800 twin and they both like the power and torque curves of the 650 better. And the 650 has tubeless tires while the 800 uses tubes.

So the F700 and F800 are both 800 cc motorcycles? My head is starting to throb.

So the F700 and F800 are both 800 cc motorcycles? My head is starting to throb.

Yes. The F650/700GS and the F800GS share the same 798cc parallel twin engine. They have different throttle maps, with slightly different HP and torque curves. 700/650 have cast aluminum wheels, the 800 has spokes. 650/700 seat height is lower than the 800. As someone else said the F650/700GS vs the F800GS is kind of like the R1200GS vs the R1200GS Adventure.

Yes. The F650/700GS and the F800GS share the same 798cc parallel twin engine. They have different throttle maps, with slightly different HP and torque curves. 700/650 have cast aluminum wheels, the 800 has spokes. 650/700 seat height is lower than the 800. As someone else said the F650/700GS vs the F800GS is kind of like the R1200GS vs the R1200GS Adventure.

Sorry to look like such a cone but the mind simply reels. Thanks.

Back