• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Head rebuild recomendation

DAVIS2X1

Hello to All,

My 1975 R75/6 needs a head rebuilld. Its sucking oil thru the intake valve guide. I was thinking on using Motor Works Pro Machining in National City CA. They advertise in the "Airmail". $195.00 per head.

Comments???

Thanks.

Hello to All,

My 1975 R75/6 needs a head rebuilld. Its sucking oil thru the intake valve guide. I was thinking on using Motor Works Pro Machining in National City CA. They advertise in the "Airmail". $195.00 per head.

Comments???

Thanks.

Ask the Service Department of San Diego BMW Motorcycles what their opinion of them is. Their number is 619.286.1971. I'm sure they have seen their work in their shop and will have an informed opinion regarding their quality.

Hill Headworks,
615 Northwest 45th Street,
Seattle, WA

Very good to work with!

All new valves, guides, unleaded seats, beadblasted. $350 about 5 years ago.

I just had my R25/2 head overhauled at Memphis Motorwerks...I gave my head to Vech at Benchmark Works and that was his shop of choice. If it was good enough for Vech, I'm sure it's good enough for me.

However, when I get my /7 heads worked on, I'll probably use Ted Porter at the Beemer Shop. He has a bit of a lead time, so I'll have to factor that in to the rest of the top end work.

I had mine done by Tom Cutter and it only took about a month, but it cost about $200 more than you were quoted. I'm happy with the work, but I know of other people who've complained that they've been waiting for months for the work to be done, maybe I just got lucky.

I had mine done the Ted Porter last year and was very pleased with the work though it took almost 5 months.

There was a series of emails on the Airhead list where some were very dissatisfied with the quality of the work by the National City shop. The name of the shop was different last year. But a local restoration shop here uses them frequently and has been happy with their work. So this may be a YMMV...

Motor work pro machining did my heads about a year ago. They cam back very very nice! Now runs like it should! I serched all the airhead lists read many reports. A few years back there were some pood quality Black Diamond valves, this is where the problems came from. I think most of the problems were taken care of and they stood behind their work. Porter, Oak, Cutter are good but five months? Plus I like to support people who support and spend money with the airmail.

Motor work pro machining did my heads about a year ago. They cam back very very nice! Now runs like it should! I serched all the airhead lists read many reports. A few years back there were some pood quality Black Diamond valves, this is where the problems came from. I think most of the problems were taken care of and they stood behind their work. Porter, Oak, Cutter are good but five months? Plus I like to support people who support and spend money with the airmail.

I had plenty of time as it was in the middle of winter here in AK. Not much riding to do but you are right, five months seemed a bit excessive. I was thinking of sending the head to Motorworks in National City for the same reason you mention, i.e. they support the Airheads with their Airmail advertisements, but decided to spend the extra $$'s on a more familiar, known name. The messages I saw were in March 2011 and this was after I had sent mine off a few months earlier but others replied that they were very happy with their work.

Hill Machine Headworks
615 NW 45th St
Seattle, WA 98107

(206) 784-9165

Dan rebuilt many heads for me, outstanding work at a good price.

Tell him I said hi! :wave

:thumb Hill. He went over the top for me and gave me a break on work done on a junk head. ( The air intake for the pulse system could not be sealed.) This was discovered after the other work was done. Then he did a beautiful job on a head salvaged from the Katrina bike (some of you may remember the thread).

Sent mine to Ted Porter back in January and had them back in less than 3 weeks. Superior quality work. Talked to him several times throughout the process and he was great about explaining every little detail about the heads, as well as giving plenty of advice about other parts of the bike.

Expensive? No doubt. Do I feel confident that it will be years before I question the condition of my heads? You bet.

When my tranny finally gives up the ghost, this will go to Ted Porter as well.

I had my exhaust threads repaired 7-2012 and also had Ted Porters "Beemershop" inspect the valve seats and springs. Great communication and service. He said the valves were fine and the exhaust thread repair was very well done. I later on got the Wilbers rear shock and new fork springs for my Mystik and am very happy with my new suspension. Reasonable prices in my opinion.

Its sucking oil thru the intake valve guide

Intake valve guide sounds strange to me. In 99% of the cases, the exhaust guide will have much more play and is the one giving problems. Same for the exhaust valve, the one which breaks most of the time (due to excess of play, probably due to heat).
I'm also 100% confident with Ted Porter, in West. Mine were done by Montecristo, another recommended shop in East.

Back