• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Earplugs/hearing protection

If I understand correctly, a "noise emergency" is NOT riding a MC. As an example I went in Walmart last night and the greeter was blasting rain off the shopping carts with a very loud elec handheld blower(we have the same one to blow off a deck) & I immediately stuck my finger in my near side ear. When I walked past an outdoor music stage at the SEC BB tourney last yr in NO,LA with speakers that were large & loud I stuck both fingers in my ears.
It isn't rocket science & it does work! Like most folks I don't walk down the street with ear plugs in my pocket or protector muffs on my side. Since we like to hate on loud pipes here, I'll also say that I do this on loud Harleys at times as they pass by. Lets stay real with this hearing protection thing. Cotton balls simply will not protect your hearing like you need.
Exchanging info as to what brands of proper plugs or muffs (plugs in particular for mc's)are comfortable, attenuate noise effectively and who sells them , etc., is purposeful.

Just remember that hearing damage is permanent.
I don't want to get into a spitting contest here, but since you saw fit to respond to my suggestion by reminding us all that "hearing damage is permanent," I will respond.

OK, I'll be the outlier here and say that if you're at all concerned about your hearing - and you should be - then only a custom molded solution will provide the best protection and the best of those is not cheap.
The red flag goes up when I see sweeping conclusions such as "only" one thing or another works. I've never read a scientific study on the topic, but over the years I have seen a few articles that compared and contrasted ear plug effectiveness (both gun and motorcycle rags have them from time to time), and I've never seen anything that came close to that remarkably broad conclusion. In fact, I saw a Slate review recently that came to the opposite conclusion (LINK). Cite me the independent study confirming that "only" custom ear plugs effectively protect the ears and I'll give it a look. Until then, I'll rely on my own experience. I've ridden motorcycles for over 30 years using inexpensive reusable ear plugs. I play in a symphony orchestra and can hear the subtleties of intonation as well at 52 as I could in college. Quite simply, well made reusable ear plugs protect hearing very well.

I can see buying custom ear plugs if there are other medical complications, or if fit or comfort is difficult for one reason or another, or if you just want to spend your money that way. I have many friends who have done so. But to justify that expense by concluding that its the "only" solution for ear protection is a bit much.

Last edited:
Re: Cotton Balls

Please understand, I am not proposing cotton balls as a solution, just an interim "fix" until my plugs arrive. I've ridden without anything, and I've ridden with cotton balls. And the cotton balls help make the ride comfortable. Will Howard Leight earplugs be better? Most definitely. But I don't have them in hand just yet...

At a Bob Dylan concert a few years back I found the volume level way too high. I knew my hearing was at risk. Luckily, I had a pair of Howard Leight Max earplugs in my pocket from my last bike ride. With the ear plugs in, the concert was a delight, volume level perfect.

There are of course lots of uses for ear plugs, from mowing the lawn, clipping hedges, sleeping with a snoring spouse, etc. I usually have a pair in my pocket at all times.

I did just order a big box of the green Howard Leight Max Lite ear plugs and a pair of those reusable plugs pictured in my previous post.

Harry

I went to see Lord of the Rings and must have put in and removed my ear plugs at least 20 times during the movie. Kept them in for all the advertising before the movie started.

I also wear them at the grocery and other stores as they seem to delight in playing loud, obnoxious music for some reason.

Ear plugs also work very well on buses, streets in the city and trains and planes.

I always have a pair with me.

another Grumpy old man

I take ear plugs with me on commuter jets as they seem too loud. I wonder if the decibels on those flights are @ the damage level ? I also keep them in my ditty bag when traveling, for other noisy situations that come up. I have a pr. of muffs that hang on both lawnmowers, farm tractor, sawmill tool box & in my shop for power tools. It has to become a habit to have it where you need it, much like seat belts. Grocery stores, no , not for me...

The Howard Leight's arrived. My narrow ear canals make insertion virtually impossible. I'm wondering if there's a method of lubricating the plugs to ease insertion?

The Howard Leight's arrived. My narrow ear canals make insertion virtually impossible. I'm wondering if there's a method of lubricating the plugs to ease insertion?

I've found a small about of water or rubbing alcohol works. The rubbing alcohol is that same thing in "swimmers ear" drops.

There's a trick to it, too. You have to kind of pull your ear up and out while inserting the rolled up ear plug.

Harry

What Harry said, like in the video i posted earleir. The compacting them while rolling them with your fingers is crucial. I pull and roll as it really compacts them thin and makes them easy to go in, just takes a second longer for it to expand to fill. You know you got it right when you can feel them expand nice and full and it is like slowly putting on ear muffs. Maybe try putting a few pairs in the fridge, they tend to hold their shape much longer when cold, and practice with them. Once you get the trick to it down it comes as second nature.

I have narrow ear canals as well. I use Laser Leight's. I roll them between my fingers until they are fully compressed along the entire length. As I am reaching over my head to grab my ear with one hand, I bring the ear plug up to my mouth with the other and wet the end of the plug with a bit of saliva. I am then able to insert the ear plug correctly.

One pocket of my riding jacket has six or eight earplugs that are in service at a time, I reach in and randomly select two. When they no longer compress properly or are visibly dirty, I throw them away. I have been using this method for many years with no issues that I am aware of.

I wear them all day, every day while riding, and often sleep with them in as well.

I find it an important part of my procedure to have grimy hands that have just pumped gas or pulled on riding boots,etc. & then roll them while ensuring that they are a combo of ear wax tan/brown with a nice patina of grunge black and perhaps a Shrek green on one side and a Sesame Street purple or Big Bird Yellow on the other or even a baby blue thrown in.:brad
I lose them & have a gob of them in my tank bag & pockets too. It is vitally important to remember to roll & insert prior to putting on the gloves & that really ticks me off when I forget that in the ATGATT process!:banghead

I too sometimes just finish fitting helmet then gloves and realize I'm hearing too well...

Better than the one time I gassed with the BMW tank bag placed on the large fabric bag on the rear rack, and rode off. Couple of Kms later, looked down at tank, no bag, panic, stop, turned around - lucky, it was there! The feet on the tank bag must have kept it in place.

I've found a solution for my narrow ear canals. Mack's silicone earplugs. They work, and I can use them with my ears, as they don't require guiding a rolled-up foam plug into a narrow canal. They're also for swimmers, but the website specifically addresses motorcycle riding as well. Only problem is they are a bit more expensive and each is only good for about 5 uses. I figure 3 six packs (pairs) will get me through 6 months of riding (cost for 3 packs - $18...cheap vesus lost hearing).

i have narrow ear canals as well. I use laser leight's. I roll them between my fingers until they are fully compressed along the entire length. As i am reaching over my head to grab my ear with one hand, i bring the ear plug up to my mouth with the other and wet the end of the plug with a bit of saliva. I am then able to insert the ear plug correctly.
I wear them all day, every day while riding, and often sleep with them in as well.

+1

Wore the Mack's silicone plugs on a ride today...really nice. Wind noise was dampened significantly and the result was less fatigue, and better riding.

I just got these and they are great: http://earplugsonline.com/

Take one round plug and split it in half. Then roll the each half into soft balls. Insert into your ear for a perfect molded custom fit. They can be reused 20-30 times if you keep them clean.

I started with the $2.95 sample size first.

As beeswax is a component, I am lead to wonder how they pliable they might be during cold weather? Even beeswax gets hard in the winter so does the lanolin keep them soft beyond your body temperature contact?

I just got these and they are great: http://earplugsonline.com/

Take one round plug and split it in half. Then roll the each half into soft balls. Insert into your ear for a perfect molded custom fit. They can be reused 20-30 times if you keep them clean.

I started with the $2.95 sample size first.

They look pretty good, but for me the lanolin content is a deal-killer...I'm highly allergic to it. Glad they work for you.

Here are the silicone ones I'm now using. Good question someone asked about pliability in the cold, but I think that can be dealt with by warming with your hands first.

http://www.macksearplugs.com/details/Motorcycle-ear-plugs/pillow-soft-earplugs-6-pair-value

Last edited:
Went to sears in Fairbanks, audiology dept upstairs. They made custom ones for me. Pick your color, fit very well inside helmet , even got a free hearing test, walked out with them that day. Pretty inexpensive for the custom service. :dance

Back