• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valve adj/TB sync

fireguy

I just completed a valve adjustment and TB sync on my 2003 R1150RT. The valves were mostly on the loose side of things. I found it to be a 'fiddely' operation. (I cut my teeth doing valve adjustments on old Volkswagens) Luckily, my riding buddy wanted to see how to do it. He was really handy to have around as it turns out. He helped to hold the feeler guages in place while I did the wrenching. Once we had both cylinders done, We buttoned things up and moved on to the sync. I put a new battery in my Twin Max, followed all of the instructions to the letter, started the motor and the TB's were in perfect sync and the bike ran great. Is this an unusual situation? the bike has about 31,000 miles on it.

Forgot to mention, Twin Max read perfect throughout the process. at all RPM ranges. Motor sounded smooth. Test drive was good also.

Thanks to all, and my buddy, Dale

Last edited:
Good Job!

Nice work, Gerry.

The only thing I'd be sure of is whether you had the sensitivity on the TwinMax turned all the way to "MAX" as you got the "zero" at all RPM ranges. I'm not casting aspersions, by the way -- I've caught myself failing to crank the TM sensitivity all the way back up after turning it down to MIN, then OFF, to start the bike.

I do love that TwinMax, but the first few times through can be a lot of "details" and that's where the devil resides.

Again, WELL DONE, and what could be better (?) than (a) doing a better job than some shops would do, (b) saving money, and (c) feeling very good about your efforts.

Walking Eagle

My Twinmax does not read zero at all RPMs (esp. idle), but I do notice that for the last 30k or so I've not had to adjust the TB synch.

I don't want to rob this thread but since we are talking about messing with all this stuff, which fuel injector cleaner is recommended for the RT's if in fact any is recommended. Just generic stuff?

Chevron Techron seems to be the one product that gets positive reviews all around. And, most importantly, from our resident guru, PaulG. Others are busy debating the mreits of LC20, Seafoam, marverl mystery Oil, etc in some other threads.
do a search if you want to know more.

now, back to our regularly scheduled thread on valve adjustments and TB synchs.

I didn't believe what I was seeing. So, I did the whole Twin Max routine three times. I still think it's wierd.

That said, It would stand to reason that if the valves are returned to spec, the only things that could influence the TBs would be shaft wear, cable stretch, or being gummed up somehow.

Any thoughts?

Again, Thanks to all for the replies...

Gerry

Last edited:
Really...

Man if that thing is syncing at all ranges with valve adjustment only what numbers would you recommend for the lottery?

Why argue with success? You set the valves and the TBs were amazingly in sync. Congratualtions!

However, you likely eliminated one important step in the TB sync, which is the removal and cleaning of the Big Brass Screw. The screw is usually dirty with carbon buildup and both it and the hole should be cleaned with spray carburetor cleaner.

If you had done this step, you would likely have to resync the TBs, since the removal and cleaning messes up the previous sync somewhat.

I just got back from an eight day trip on my 2003 R1150RT. The bike ran like a top. No problems encountered, (other than lots of rain). Today, I pulled the plastics off to do a thorough cleaning since we rode up the coast from Mendicino, CA up to Astoria, WA. I will set up the Twin Max and see what it reads now. The bike runs smooth as silk in all ranges.

On another note... Does anyone know if true cruise control can be fitted to the bike? I have a Throttle Meister installed now.

Thanks to all
Gerry

Sounds like you've got a nice running bike. When the twin max is on "max" sensitivity at idle, the needle fluctuates plus or minus half a line. Usually when you advance the throttle, the needle moves left or right even if it settles on zero. If its perfectly balanced, turn the BBS and see if the needle moves a bit.

Back