• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

HID not always coming on

jnrugg

I bought the HID kit for my 02 RT from 1Off Motorsports just before they closed shop.
So I can't go to them for help.
Wired up ok and when it turns on it is great, even in the daylight.

The issue is the light does not always come on when I turn on the ignition.
If I turn it on and off several times it will come one but I don't want to wear out the ignition switch.
I have it wired in as they say, but is there a better way or is this a problem with the ballast or the unit? If so then I will just go back to the regular bulb, if not then I would like to fix it.

Thanks,

I had the same problem with my high beam (same company) on my R12RT. It seemed to solve itself. Don't know why, but it solved itself. Maybe the bulb "burnt in"?

Does your kit have a cast ballast case,a black plastic ignitor housing and a clear cased :ice cube relay"????

My kit was sold by Bikemaster but I believe the kits are all made in the same Chinese factory.

In my opinion the relay may be hanging up. My system was acting up since day one when I installed it on my RT. I ended up running dedicated 12+ and ground leads right to the battery terminals and it still would act up from time to time. It would light up during key on cycle but when you cranked the engine the HID would go out (like it was supposed to with a working load relief relay on the bike). After engine start sometimes I would bwe running dark. One time it happened I reached into the faring and gave the relay a good smack,the light came on and she has been working well ever since(looking right now for wood to knock on)

Check your connectors and smack your relay around a bit and see what happens...

Perry

I bought the same kit from 1offmotorsports and had a problem with one of the connectors not fitting properly. Had to take it apart and refit, but it works fine now. Does anyone know where to get replacement bulbs?

I had the same thing happen twice in the 100,000+ miles I have had HID on my bike. Just turned off the ignition and then turned it back on. No problem. Same ballast unit for all those miles but I am on my third bulb. I just get replacements from DDM or some ebay seller. They all look the same to me.

I had the same thing happen twice in the 100,000+ miles I have had HID on my bike. Just turned off the ignition and then turned it back on. No problem. Same ballast unit for all those miles but I am on my third bulb. I just get replacements from DDM or some ebay seller. They all look the same to me.

Yep, ebay for bulbs.

Relay

Ditto what Brokaw said. Find a good sealed Bosch brand relay. It drove me crazy until I figured out that the relay was the problem and not the ballast.

Ditto what Brokaw said. Find a good sealed Bosch brand relay. It drove me crazy until I figured out that the relay was the problem and not the ballast.

A relay sealed from the weather?
Isn't it under the seat?
Do you have a part number?

When it works it works, that is when the load relief relay kicks in the light comes back on. There are 2 black boxes, one is the ballast and the other the controller I guess. When I get the bike back from service I will check the connectors again.

The relay should plug in somewhere on the HID harness. There are a lot of crappy relays out there. Good ones aren't expensive.

Back