• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

West Virginia Riding

kbasa

Riding in WV <<== click here!

Anyone else have suggestions? My experience with the state is limited to the little section on the interstate the goes through Wheeling!

Haaaaalllp!

:help

Finding roads to ride in WV is probably similar to eastern KY and other states of that type:

1) Open map

2) Find state route or other squiggly "blue highway"

3) Ride it!

Hey dave; this below from "Tim" of the K12 site to my request for more "riding" info in & around W.Va.... Might be of assistance...:)
===

One more great site... see link
---
p.s. Adding a shameless plug for Hawksnest Resort, 60 miles west of Charleston, WV as an alternate to big city lodging for the BMWMOA July 10-13. http://www.hawksnestsp.com/
So it's a curvy 60 miles to the rally. Yeah!

www.pocahontascountywv.com/around.htm

Last edited:
West Virginia riding

I have a book titled "Scenic Driving West Virginia" by Bruce Sloane, which describes 24 different scenic drives, about 10 of which are
possible day trips from Charleston.
The ISBN is 076271137X. It is available on Amazon for $10+. Included is the little known road which
goes down *under* the New River Gorge Bridge (the high bridge).

There is also a strange book titled "Way Out in West Virginia" by Jeanne Mozier, which is a guide to the oddities and wonders of WV. Chapter titles include "Adventure Driving", "Art Wonders", "Historic Oddities", "Million Dollar Views", "Mother Nature's Wonders", "Tours and Trips Not To Miss". This is also $10+ on Amazon. The ISBN is

I've never been to a BMW rally before. The three I *have* attended were small (<200 attendees) Japanese-marque rallies, and most people seemed more interested in dressing up, drinking beer, and socializing. Those who rode, rode less than 100 mi/day. So I'm real uncertain about the riding habits of BMW rally attendees -- less than 100 mi/day? 100-200? 200-300? 300-400?

I could post some maps, with highlighted routes, for those who might be interested. I could also
make some suggestions on sights to see along those routes. These would be mostly in the southeast area of West Virginia, as that is where I live.

I'd avoid southwestern WV like the plague. Lots of coal trucks make the traveling quite slow at times. Also, the area just isn't very scenic, and seeing some of the conditions there is just too, too depressing.

MS Maps of the region

Hey Dave, for your readership;

I've uploaded some maps for your printing pleasure that might prove helpful..

;)

Re: MS Maps of the region

k12 said:

;)

You guys are awesome. I've got a copy of Motorcycle Journeys through the Appalachians as well.

I think this is going to be fun!

:bliss

On the way south to the RA rally in Morganton, we found WV to be chock FULL of minor highways
twisting through little hollows and valleys, and we very much enjoyed Route 33.
The local commercial traffic knows those roads well, and even the large trucks
moved right along through some quite corkscrewy stretches.

As an aside, the COPIOUS roadkills were amazing for both variety and degrees of advanced decay.
It would behoove us to be mindful of how dangerous those creatures are
as they dart out from the side of the road.

Hey K12...Hawks Nest S. P. is on Rt. 60 EAST of Charlie West...Nice ride out ol' 60 though...Scenic route

Re: MS Maps of the region

404 Not Found :-(

k12 said:

;)

SW west va. roads are not only full of coal trucks but also covered with coal dust which will get all over you and the bike. makes for a nice looking tan until you wipe it or drip sweat through it. :?)
The old (original) road down under the new river bridge was an ok ride (the last time i was there 2 years ago) comming from the north side but the bridge is closed to traffic. you ride down,sightsee, and ride back up.
DO NOT RIDE down the southwest side (the Becklley side) as the road up and back is used by the rafting people with large trucks and busses. they have destroyed the road and are a terror coming oround the turns in the middle of the road. you have been warned.

The bridge at the bottom of the gorge is open again. And the problem of two-way traffic has been taken care of -- county road 82 is now a one-way road, north to south, from Lansing on the north side, to The Rivers whitewater rafting company, on the south side. Catch CR 82 at Lookout.

As someone who lives and rides near Charleston, allow me to suggest some roads to the north or northwest. The coutryside gets more rolling and you can avoid the coal trucks.

Suggestions:

Rt 21 North to Rt 33 at Ripley. then either east or west.
If east, At Spencer take Rt 119 south back to Chas.
If west, Go to Point Pleasant and then Rt 62 back to Chas.

e-mail mne at battlestaar@aol if you wnat shorter backroad ideas.

Ed

Most of our good riding is to the east. Take I64 to Lewisburg hang a left on to 219 North. Any road between Lewisburg and Elkins is an adventure. Along the way is Snowshoe Ski Resort on top of the mountain and the Scenic highway leading to Cranberry Glades. Travel back to Richwood than to Summersville take rt 19 back to Rt60 (rt 60 is good all the way to Virginia) hang a right on Rt 60 brings you back across the mountains to Gauley Mountain down to Gauley bridge back to Charleston. 250 to 300 miles just a short putt for a beemer, right! By the way the bike you see in front of you may be my Harley. Enjoy and watch the gravel in the curves.

Rainman

Back