• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Iron Butt Association Annual Memorial 1000 Ride

msoneill

Out of curiosity, is anyone looking at doing this ride? I'm thinking of signing up for CT if my weekend looks free.

Each year the lives of many of our fellow motorcycle riders and loved ones are cut short. In their memory, a group of the WorldÔÇÖs Toughest Riders will participate in a Saddle Sore 1000 on the same weekend, September 29-30, 2012. We hope to have riders participating in all 50 states, in all of the Canadian provinces, and in several countries around the world. This date was selected because the weather across North America is generally goodÔÇönot too hot and not too cold.

The IBA will issue a special certificate for this event.

To specially honor our fallen brethren, weÔÇÖre asking each you to find one of your motorcycle friends who is not an IBA member to ride the Saddle Sore with you. This will give you the opportunity to mentor the ÔÇÿnewbieÔÇÖ in the skill of route planning, navigation, hydration, and ATGATT before and during the ride. If the two of you ride the same route and submit your documentation together, special pricing will apply for the certificationÔÇöthere will be a $10 reduction for each of you in the normal fee!

The person for whom youÔÇÖre riding does not have to be a former IBA member, or even a former motorcycle rider. It can be anybody that is special to you; somebody that has had an impact on your life.

What better way to honor our departed friends than to bring new members into the sport we all love. This will be a fun event! IBA will issue special certificates for the mentor and the mentee, and a special patch for the event. A video of the event will be produced. A special website will list all the participants and for whom theyÔÇÖre riding. WeÔÇÖre working on other ideas to make this event special.

So reserve the weekend nowÔÇöSeptember 29-30, 2012. Recruit a mentee.

LetÔÇÖs ÔÇÿride the Memorial.ÔÇÖ

Send me an email signing up for the ride, with the name of the special person youÔÇÖre honoring, and a short paragraph of who they were and why youÔÇÖre riding for them.

Mike, this would be great event to combine with the Fingerlakes Rally in Watkins Glen NY!

What do you mean by "former IBA member." My understanding was unless your membership was revoked it was a lifetime membership?

Thanks,

-Dennis

Mike, this would be great event to combine with the Fingerlakes Rally in Watkins Glen NY!

What do you mean by "former IBA member." My understanding was unless your membership was revoked it was a lifetime membership?

Thanks,

-Dennis

I think he meant the deceased rider that you are honoring by your ride?

Back