• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Com Pairing - Helmet, Bike & Phone

Can anyone provide some insights on the best way to pair multiple devices? I ride a K1600GT, have the BMW Communcations System, BMW Nav VI and a Blackberry Curve. Nav plugs in and works great, helmet com system pairs to the bike, all audio (radio, MP3s and Nav) all work fine. Phone pairs to helmet com system fine. Issue is that when the helmet is paired to the phone, i get no audio/Nav. Helment paired to bike, I get no phone. Seems like the BMW Com system can only recognize one at a time, at least the way I've done it.

Anyone know how to make it all work together?

You understand the system correctly.

The way to make it all work is to pair the NAV IV with the helmet, and then pair the phone with the Nav IV.

An advantage of this approach is that it allows you to use the NAV IV's display for telephone functions -- accept/reject incoming calls, pick through your contact list using the GPS display and place calls (most phones forward their contact lists to the GPS automatically), etc.

Thank you for the response. So don't pair the helmet to the bike, but to the Nav? And the audio from the bike will channel through the Nav? Cool. Thanks again.

Close --

First pair the helmet to the bike.

Second pair the NAVIV to the helmet.

Third pair the phone to the NAV IV.

Thanks again, that seems to work, with a few operational oddities - like the Nav tells me it can't complete the call, but then the call goes through and when the call is ended, the audio system goes to Intercom, I have to reach down and hit the on button for the radio to get it back to the radio. In any event, thanks again.

Good to hear.

On the oddities, sorry -- with the Blackberry you've reached the end-point of my knowledge, as my experience is only with iPhones (never had to deal with such quirks).

You might want to make a new post asking Blackberry users for their experience/hints.

BMW Communicator

One more time: I can pair the helmet with the Nav and the iPhone with the Nav, but cannot get the helmet to pair with the bike's music system. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Jeff
K1600GTL, 2012, Dark Blue

Sorry to hear about the continuing troubles.

With the Nav IV turned off and the phone turned off (or *well* out of range -- the objective is no other Bluetooth signals near the bike),

1. Pair the helmet to the bike using the menu in the dash display.

2. Turn off the bike, turn on the helmet, pair the helmet to the Nav IV.

3. Turn on the phone, pair the phone to the Nav IV (likely won't need to do his, as the phone/Nav IV pairing usually is not a problem.

The key is to pair to the bike first, then add the Nav IV -- at least that was my experience.

Your advice was spot on and I now have music coming through the Shuberth/BMW Communicator. Thank you very much.
Jeff

My understanding is that if you want intercom via the bike then you have to have 2 sets of BMW Communicator's. I played ALOT with a Sena SMH-10 for my wife's helmet as i didn't want to drop the $1k to get her a communicator when she only rides once or twice a year and couldn't get it to work for anything but "Helmet1". In speaking with the BMW folks at the Rally that seemed to be "by design".

YMMV.

Have a good one,
Dave

Think i'am in the same boat, just picked up my new GT, the good folks at Long Beach BMW, have assured me that they can pair my helmet, phone GPS and radio
Leaving it in Dewey and Gregs hands

Back