• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin Zumo and itunes music file compatibility?

pbrokaw

Guys and Gals:

I may buy myself a zumo when my existing Garmin bites the dust...
I use iTunes on a mac-book pro for my music files(8000 plus files).
Will the Zumo work with AAC files by chance??? or is there a work a round.
I use a app called double-twist to load iTunes into my android phone and it works really sweet.

I currently stream music from the phone to my Scala Rider G9...works great.

The reasons for the Zumo upgrade are the waterproofness,free lifetime map updates,and the ability to control the music from the cockpit easily.

Any thoughts????

Perry

I could be wrong, but I've found the Zumo only supports mp3 files. Most of mine are ACC, so I can only transfer the ones still not converted from mp3 to the Zumo 660.

Zumo only plays MP3. You can convert from AAC, but that process will degrade the sound quality.

Tell iTunes to convert all files to mp3 and put them in a new folder. Then move all to the card in the zumo, and you'll be just fine.

Tell iTunes to convert all files to mp3 and put them in a new folder. Then move all to the card in the zumo, and you'll be just fine.

Easier said than done. When and how e files were downloaded from iTunes will determine if thesis possible. I've been living this nightmare and still have a to of music I cannot play outside of the apple network.

you should do what im probably going to end up doing. after looking at that cost of the zumo 660 and finding out that most users are saying after 5 years it dies for a 650$ gps 130$ a year for a gps? garmin can keep that junk. a asus transformer tablet has gps blue-tooth wi-fi. can play mp3 aac mp4's keep almost any kind of map topo maps. service manuals. parts list, use it around the house, how to videos, could keep going on but im sure you get the idea and the thing is almost 200$ cheaper then the zumo 660. and i have never had a asus product die only after 5 years i have been building computers for about the last 20 years and asus is the name ill stick with. i cant picture this thing dying only after 5 years. i rather stick this thing in a tank bag or mount it to cover the dash and get a addon that will monitor my bike as im riding so ill be able to see my rpm's and speed if i cover up the speed o and tach. Save ya some money and get some real true options for your device.
I might be a little bias atm on garmin. but to see them charge top line price for a 1/2 featured gps and yes its only 1/2 featured. look at garmins top line gps for cars right now priced at little under 400 and look at the feature set then com pair that to the 660 then ask why is the 660 +200 more then the top line gps when it contains less then 1/2 the features of todays gps's out on the market? The mount? well i still have to buy one for my bike so thats useless. the glove friendly? i found you can do a few options 1 you can get something in your glove that will trigger the response or 2 get a protective case that will do this for you or 3 cut off the finger tip of the glove. I ride a RT so that would not be a big deal for me at all.
so then you say its because of it being water proof, lots of cases out there to pick from and with todays 3d printer surge thats going to be really easy.

When it comes to computer/electronic devices it pays to pay for quality and thats just something i do not see at all with the 660. 5 year life span

1. Some care the 660/665 are waterproof, especially if you have thunderstorms as we do.
2. My 660 is 5 years old and it still works.

I have a 660 and 665, they work well for me. If you need something else, that's what you should get.

I'm VERY interested in the 7 inch Dēzl truck GPS. Just because my eyes (among other things) are getting old.

Back